Spoiler Alert!

Tell us more, please.

Apples only for this year. To help out the new kid running it they are asking for orders be placed and paid for by October. It looks like the same varieties they had before. $25 each.

Wish they had mulberries :(
I was thinking they would have a fire sale this year after all their orders were filled. I can't imagine they sold out of everything. I bet if you email him with a request he will fill it if available. Sounds like a young hungry kid taking over.

Thanks Chummer for letting us know and inviting him to the forum !!! :)

That's great news. I don't really need any more apple trees, but I'll probably buy another dozen just because.

I was thinking they would have a fire sale this year after all their orders were filled. I can't imagine they sold out of everything. I bet if you email him with a request he will fill it if available. Sounds like a young hungry kid taking over.
Chummer, is the contact info the same?

Your welcome. I thought I was done planting but I just ordered 10 more. I ordered 10 singles of the latest blooming varieties I could find. I have never heard of most of them so it will be a fun new venture. I have decided to turn another chunk of my plot into orchard. Apples are just more fun than clover.

Your welcome. I thought I was done planting but I just ordered 10 more. I ordered 10 singles of the latest blooming varieties I could find. I have never heard of most of them so it will be a fun new venture. I have decided to turn another chunk of my plot into orchard. Apples are just more fun than clover.
I left Connor a message and sent a email. Told hi I was looking for Winter wildlife and Viole or any other late hanging crabs for deer.

I left Connor a message and sent a email. Told hi I was looking for Winter wildlife and Viole or any other late hanging crabs for deer.
I went that route last year. Look at Sherry and Brown Betty. Not crabs but small apples.

Just got the new SLN catalog in the mail. Order is already filled out and will be in the mail shortly.

Chummer - I planted a Sherry from SLN this past spring. It's growing well for us. I looked at the same criteria, saw it bears annually with heavy cropping. Later too. Some hangs on tree all winter. Just the ticket !!! :)

Chummer - I planted a Sherry from SLN this past spring. It's growing well for us. I looked at the same criteria, saw it bears annually with heavy cropping. Later too. Some hangs on tree all winter. Just the ticket !!! :)

Don't want to jinx you but I've planted two Sherry apples for the same reasons. One planted in 2005 hasn't produced any apple yet.I've started top working it over to other varieties (have two limbs grafted over to your late hanger you sent me:)) and have one planted in 2003 that has been producing apples for several years but they start dropping by late Aug and are finished in Sept :(. I've had the same problem with my Purdy apple tree. it is suppose to be a late hanger but mine have started to drop now and will be done by late Sept. It's a good reliable producer but drops early. Have wondered if being located in southcentral Pa has any reason for the different drop times??? Being in a warmer zone than where they originated???o_O

A lot a mysteries in this apple growing hobby.

Grey - No jinx. I figured we may have a few that turn out to be not quite as advertised, or outright stinkers. That's OK, as long as they produce something. If the Sherry is at least an annual cropper with a decent fruit load, it'll be fine. One of the reasons I planted such a big variety of apples and crabs is to hedge my bets in case a few don't turn out to be as advertised. Or if some type gets hit with a disease or pest - we still have others to fill the void.

Chummer is up in northern N.Y. not far from SLN where I got my Sherry from. Hopefully it'll grow and produce for him like it does at SLN.

Just got my SLN catalog yesterday. I e-mailed Connor Hardiman, the new owner of SLN, and reminded him of what Chummer had told him about this forum. I told him of the numbers of guys on here who plant apples ,crabs, pears, nuts for wildlife. I hope he puts a post on here and checks out this site. Some of the apples & crabs they carry are hard to find elsewhere.

I already made up my order to mail in to SLN. Don't want to miss out on a couple types not found anywhere else ...... to my knowledge. The MacKentleys ( original owners ) are staying on in an advisory role to help Connor get his feet under him and build the inventory. Just a FYI.

Greetings from Northern NY! Thanks to the folks who let me know about this forum; looks like a great place to share ideas and experiences. I look forward to becoming a part of this community!
-Connor Hardiman
St. Lawrence Nurseries

Hi Connor
Glad you stopped in.
I started buying trees from SLN back in 2001. Great bunch of guys here even if we are a little apple crazy :D.