Trees pruned to fit in shipping box

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I've bought trees from several Mail order nurseries before ,and this is the first tree I've ever received a tree pruned back this far. This is a pear tree pruned to a little over 5 foot, and the diameter at the tip is about the size of my ring finger. Maybe I'm over thinking it , but Is there anything to worry about or is this a standard practice ?, will the first bud take over and turn into the central leader ?.

Attachments

• 100_2026.JPG
    100_2026.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_2027.JPG
    100_2027.JPG
    532.5 KB · Views: 26
If there are viable buds, it will take off and explode. You have the benefit of a clean slate, you can prune the tree any way you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pear trees might do better with multiple leaders. With one leader the tree might die if it gets fireblight. You loose a leader with an open center or modified central leader, the tree can recover better or at all.

I got some pretty hacked up stuff from stark nurseries. Chopped that far back, it'll likely grow several leaders. I have a pristine, black arkansas, and a franklin cider that all were hacked back more than it should be. They all grew multiple leaders. Pick the best one, if you're going central leader.

There's a recent thread on pear pruning from this winter.

Stark has some ok deals towards the begining of summer. Just not worth it. Not many places sell franklin cider though.

Interesting take on Franklin Cider. I was one of the first to take advantage of commercial availability. The trees look great and started producing last year (7 yrs in the ground on B118). And the fruit is still on the trees as of March 7th! I'm not sure whether this is "normal" but so far it's my experience.

I generally hack my bare root plantings beyond what the nurseries do for shipping to where I like the bud. Never had an issue with pruning to a central leader.

There was a member from one of the deer forums for years, from Vermont with a commercial orchard. He usually severely cut back bare roots before planting.

My bare root planting seem to do better when cutting back the tops at planting time.

Perhaps Turkey Creek can explain this better than me. I feel there is a balance between top and root when planting bare root trees. If planting in medium to light soils or in a location where you can’t water twice a week, it is better to have the balance heavier towards the root and lighter on the top. I would rather have roots ‘pushing’ top growth rather than roots trying to catch up with too many top limbs in a less than ideal situation.

A couple years ago I had some apples/pears that I transplanted. They had been in the ground for 2 years. Some of them were 7ft tall. I was in a rush digging them up and they lost lots of roots. I didn't expect any of them to make it, but planted them anyway. I cut the tops back a ways too to try and offset the roots that were lost. I dont think I lost a single one.

A couple years ago I had some apples/pears that I transplanted. They had been in the ground for 2 years. Some of them were 7ft tall. I was in a rush digging them up and they lost lots of roots. I didn't expect any of them to make it, but planted them anyway. I cut the tops back a ways too to try and offset the roots that were lost. I dont think I lost a single one.
Same here. I just rip trees out of my nursery and then crop them back now, to what looks like a proper root/top ratio. They all make it. Give them a hole they like.

From a botanical point of view how plants, especially trees, respond to damage is a fascinating subject for me. All plants have hormones directing growth and response to environmental situations. Plant breeders have capitalized on their understanding of this to develop better species varieties and to increase survivability and yields. There are five classical hormones, gibberellin, auxins, cytokinin, abscisic acid, and ethylene . Each of these groups of hormones is associated with specific plant traits and physiological responses.

How does this help you and me? It's not automatic but when a plant is damaged it's hormonal system kicks in a move to survive. When you prune a fruit tree you are stimulating production of these hormones which respond to replace the removed vegetation. When done properly, you end up with more of the structure that bears fruit. When you transplant a tree you inevitable leave behind a lot of root structure. Again, back in the ground, these hormones begin the process of healing by taking what energy remains to rebuild the critical root system. At the same time the vegetative structure demands that the root system supply it with the energy it needs to grow, flower, and make fruit. Cutting back the top growth reduces the demand allowing the survival response balance and time for repair

Here's the thing. Transplanting a tree should start with root pruning in two phases. It takes time, but the time you wait is probably returned because when the tree is replanted there's much less need for top pruning. It doesn't remove the need, but it can be reduced allowing a more rapid repair which takes less time until you see your desired result. Of course how much pruning and what to prune where is essential to all of it.

Sorta' something like that...

Whew! When you niggle in the details any doubts about the existence of God simply disappear!

On dormant trees the energy is in the root system ,, cutting back -topping actually helps trees grow better year one because ,, tree wakes up in new location with extra energy in the roots helps push that years growth so a trimmed top is of no concern ,,, worse case scenario is no or few roots way more dangerous for your fruit tree as then it cannot support the top and struggles all year and goes into winter stressed,, cut that thing back at least a third before planting your new bare roots

We prune all of ours when we dig them. Do not cut them back anymore once you receive them unless there is a damaged branch.

I tried a couple from another supplier just because a different variety.I received 5, 1 had a limb that had been stripped down an inch or so when the limb was cut back.Another has 2- 4 inch long splits in the bark just above the graft.Not Impressed.If I could get every variety that is out there from Turkey Creek I wouldn't order from anyone else.Never had an issue with any of his