Dr Deer / wildtree shipping ?

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I Noticed this on DR Deer's Facebook page. The first picture with the roots is supposedly how another Nursery ships trees and "how you don't want to get your trees". The leafed out trees in the box is supposedly the correct way that Dr Deer's partner Wildtree ships. I'm far from an expert....BUT they both look equally bad !. I wouldn't want leafed out trees shipped to me !. Thankfully all the trees I've received from Whitetail Crabs, Blue Hill and The Wildlife group were dormant....and that's how you want to get trees !.

Attachments

• 434217739_975709203925566_3448363540005996897_n.jpg
    434217739_975709203925566_3448363540005996897_n.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 434201705_975710077258812_1857011789336561770_n.jpg
    434201705_975710077258812_1857011789336561770_n.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2024-04-01.png
    2024-04-01.png
    939 KB · Views: 31
  • 2024-04-01 (1).png
    2024-04-01 (1).png
    42.2 KB · Views: 29
If they have leafed out, they have broken dormancy. They will be quickly looking for moisture & nutrients. Not much time before you need to get them into the ground.

All my trees from WC, BH, stark's have been dormant.

To pile on the Wildlife Group a little more, that's why I didn't order their pear trees a few years ago after inquiring. Another member here showed pics of their trees arriving leafed out. I asked if that would be expected, since I'm from the same state as the other member. They replied saying they'd be leafed out, but that it wouldn't matter. I passed.

If they have leafed out, they have broken dormancy. They will be quickly looking for moisture & nutrients. Not much time before you need to get them into the ground.

All my trees from WC, BH, stark's have been dormant.
Just to be clear these are not my trees, , but DR Deer is proud saying that's the correct way to ship trees lol. My issue is , this time of year depending on where the trees are being shipped in the country they can be sitting in a truck up to 80+ degrees or below freezing, Too much stress on a tree that's broken dormancy . 5-6 years ago I ordered my "wild deer pear" seedlings from NativNurseries , they were leafed out and during shipping the temps dropped well below freezing and the leaves turned black !. NN was nice enough to replace my tress .

To pile on the Wildlife Group a little more, that's why I didn't order their pear trees a few years ago after inquiring. Another member here showed pics of their trees arriving leafed out. I asked if that would be expected, since I'm from the same state as the other member. They replied saying they'd be leafed out, but that it wouldn't matter. I passed.
I'm not defending The Wildlife Groups practices, I got lucky this year... they messed up my first ever order with them and sent me two Kieffer Pears instead of 2 Gilmer Christmas pears . I called to tell them the situation and they shipped me the correct trees, so I really can't complain.
I'm not sure what state you're from, BUT on TWG's Facebook page a question was asked about Spring shipping dates to a northern state ....and Allen replied He'd like the trees to ship before mid March at the absolute Latest in case they break dormancy since they are in Alabama . I had mine shipped in Mid Feb to Virginia and worked out fine they were all dormant.

Just to be clear these are not my trees, , but DR Deer is proud saying that's the correct way to ship trees lol. My issue is , this time of year depending on where the trees are being shipped in the country they can be sitting in a truck up to 80+ degrees or below freezing, Too much stress on a tree that's broken dormancy . 5-6 years ago I ordered my "wild deer pear" seedlings from NativNurseries , they were leafed out and during shipping the temps dropped well below freezing and the leaves turned black !. NN was nice enough to replace my tress .

That's why I don't order trees that far south. Their spring is way earlier than ours. I also question whether their root stock is suitable for a northern climate. Both WC & BH offer great pear options better suited for northern climates.

That's why I don't order trees that far south. Their spring is way earlier than ours. I also question whether their root stock is suitable for a northern climate. Both WC & BH offer great pear options better suited for northern climates.
I hear you...I'm in Virginia I think either will be fine for me . My Dr Deer pears are from Chestnut Hill outdoors in Florida , they were loaded with blossoms this year....SO FAR no late frost so we'll see. I planted two WC Rut Rage pears last year and I'm impressed they both have a few blossoms this year. I'd like to try a couple BH Winter Deer pears eventually.