Lowes Fruit trees

White Oak

5 year old buck +
My Lowes (zone 7) got their spring shipment of fruit trees in this week. The Liberty and Wolf River I saw are possibilities if I can't find any Yates or Arkansas blacks locally. The bulk of my treeplot has been bareroots, I have 16 combined from Whitetail crabs, Blue Hill & NativNurseries along with 7 potted trees from Walmart,Lowes and Tractor Supply. I only have room for 2 trees this year , so I'm checking big box stores and local nurseries , didn't want to spend $24-$50 on shipping for just two bare root trees . Next year if my site is cleared off in time , I plan to order a few trees from Blue Hill ( IF what I want isn't sold out the first day) or The Wildlife Group.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220216_110717 (1).jpg
    20220216_110717 (1).jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 54
I'm in zone 6 and I've had horrible results with Liberty trees from lowes. Out of 4 planted 3 years ago, 2 died and the other 2 haven't grown at all. They just seem sick.
I have had good results with Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and Winesap from Lowes planted the same year.

Interesting...thanks for the info on the Liberty trees.

I found an apple at Walmart last year that had 2 different tags on it,As long as the apples are CAR and pears FB resistant I usually give them a try but buy at end of year on sale

I bought a couple from Home Depot last year that died. I got a couple from TSC that where ok.

Not sure why anybody would buy or sell Wolf River apple trees in the south. They aren't worth eating in zone 4-6. Halfway decent pie apple, but I sure wouldn't waste my time growing them when there are so many better cultivars.

Hard pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why anybody would buy or sell Wolf River apple trees in the south. They aren't worth eating in zone 4-6. Halfway decent pie apple, but I sure wouldn't waste my time growing them when there are so many better cultivars.
The Wolf River Apple tree can handle virtually every climate in North America. This apple tree grows in zones 3 through 9. This means that only extremely southern, tropical, and desert environments are not suitable for growing it.

As you would expect, having originated and thrived in the bitter cold winters in Wisconsin, Wolf River is an extremely cold- hardy apple and one well-suited for raising in the coldest regions of the country. It also grows very well in the South and has always been a Southern favorite for cooking, baking and, of course apple butter making!

I pretty much graft every wild fruit tree I find, and I plant fruit trees anywhere I can cram one in, as long as the price is right. I won't spend a lot of money on a tree though, especially from a big box store.

What do they cost at Lowe's?

I pretty much graft every wild fruit tree I find, and I plant fruit trees anywhere I can cram one in, as long as the price is right. I won't spend a lot of money on a tree though, especially from a big box store.

What do they cost at Lowe's?
$30.98 and I can get a 10 % military discount off of that . Prices on everything have gone up due to inflation. Say what you want about big box stores....BUT I've never had a tree die that I bought from Lowes . I have either 17 or 18 trees bought from them...Pin oaks, crabapples, pears, Apples most planted close to 20 years ago when I first bought the property.

Last edited:
$30.98 and I can get a 10 % military discount off of that . Prices on everything have gone up due to inflation. Say what you want about big box stores....BUT I've never had a tree die that I bought from Lowes . I have either 17 or 18 trees bought from them...Pin oaks, crabapples, pears, Apples most planted close to 20 years ago when I first bought the property.
How big have they grown in that time? I've got a few at the end of the season and they have grown well but are only a few years old. I picked ones that the tags said should grow to 20'.

I found an apple at Walmart last year that had 2 different tags on it,As long as the apples are CAR and pears FB resistant I usually give them a try but buy at end of year on sale
I haven't had the best luck with big box store trees. Mine live but just never seem to produce much. I have one yellow delicious that is probably almost 12 years old, that I have yet to get an apple off of. That being said I'm a sucker for trees that are already 3/4" and 8 feet tall, that I can get for $7-10 a piece in the fall. They can't all be bad is at least what I keep telling myself.

I started with 10 pear trees from wildlife Group. Two were pretty small and sickly looking when I got them and they died the first year. I replaced those with two potted trees from Home Depot but planted them in a different spot. They died quickly. I have since added Seven more from wildlife group and they’re doing great. When I told my brother the landscaper about my trees he said he’d never buy a big box store tree. They store them on pallets on the parking lot or on outside Concrete. He said heat From the parking lots bakes the roots and most never Survive. It’s just his opinion but it makes sense.

I've never had any issues. I also bought from starks and have been waiting longer for those to produce then the ones from big box...
Rural king had some big ones last year. I mean at least 3/4"!

That's not a bad price. Fruit trees near me are over $80.

When I told my brother the landscaper about my trees he said he’d never buy a big box store tree. They store them on pallets on the parking lot or on outside Concrete. He said heat From the parking lots bakes the roots and most never Survive. It’s just his opinion but it makes sense.

That's my issue with them. They are genetically identical to any other tree of the same variety, but they are often not cared for properly.

but they are often not cared for properly
Yea that is my experience too. Last year mid-summer I saw the potted trees were completely dry and the leaves on all their trees wilting. When I cashed out I mentioned this and the cashier said something like "Yea that is XXXX's job, he's a slacker". I said "you know the trees will die unless they get water right?" She didn't care and reiterated it wasn't her job :/ The hose was right there and being a tree guy I wanted to do it for them but cashed out and left instead. That is a lot of stress on a tree if it happens all summer long.

I think this is in part why there are such varied experiences with big box store trees because it depends on the employees give a **** so to speak, but I am just guessing. I always buy them first thing in the spring so maybe that is why I haven't had any problems where others have.

I think this is in part why there are such varied experiences with big box store trees because it depends on the employees give a **** so to speak, but I am just guessing. I always buy them first thing in the spring so maybe that is why I haven't had any problems where others have.
I think this is what you need to do if you buy a big box store tree. Buy them early and get them in the ground early. I have had some success with a few liberty apples purchased from Menards. I have also had a number of Dolgos not make it.

I planted a supposed Ayres from lowes few years ago. Things growing great! Only problem is I ended up with a Kiefer! Not a huge issue except this is in my home orchard and I was very much looking forward to eating some Ayres last summer:/

How big have they grown in that time? I've got a few at the end of the season and they have grown well but are only a few years old. I picked ones that the tags said should grow to 20'.
The pin oaks , ornamental crabs and a couple of Granny Smiths are the oldest I have, and all have grown into large trees. The Granny Smith's produce a lot of apples but are spotty since I don't spray them. However the deer don't mind and come up in the yard nightly to eat the apples from June to early November. My pears were only planted in 2019-2020 and are doing well.