Tree Planting in Feb

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I live in central Virginia and have a order of trees scheduled to ship out tomorrow 2/11 from The Wildlife Group in Alabama. They suggested I have the trees shipped in Feb, all the other places I've ordered from in PA like Blue Hill and Whitetail Crabs shipped to me in March or early April.

It's supposed to reach 60 degrees this coming Thursday , but I see several upcoming Mornings will have a low of 25 . Should I water the trees when I first plant them , and wait a few more weeks for watering ?. I'm just worried about the young roots freezing if I water them....plus I'm not sure if it's necessary if the trees are dormant. Thanks for any info.

If they are fully dormant plant them now. Otherwise you are going to have to baby them until threat of frost is past. The Wildlife Group is notorious for shipping early and stock already haven broken dormancy.

If they are fully dormant plant them now. Otherwise you are going to have to baby them until threat of frost is past. The Wildlife Group is notorious for shipping early and stock already haven broken dormancy.
Thanks...I bought Wild Deer pear seedlings from NativNurseries years ago, they were probably shipped in March or maybe even April , they were leafed out and of course it got below freezing during shipping and the leaves turned black.

I put 3 trees in december 2022 up in the adirondacks. I had to chip out 2 or 3 inches of frost to dig in the ground. In febuary 2023 it got between -35 and -39 deg F. All 3 trees lived. Branch tips didn't show any signs of die back either. I planted a pristine a few days from july from stark nurseries that one did fine too. Hopefully that one does well, I had to move it again for a solar pool heater being in the way at home. That pristine tree had buds breaking when I planted it. Im a sucker for a sale.

Apples trees are tough. I got one I see everyday going to work, a car ran into it 3 winters ago. Looks ugly, but still putting fruit out.

I would water it. IF your worried about dormancy, shovel some more snow around it.

I put 3 trees in december 2022 up in the adirondacks. I had to chip out 2 or 3 inches of frost to dig in the ground. In febuary 2023 it got between -35 and -39 deg F. All 3 trees lived. Branch tips didn't show any signs of die back either. I planted a pristine a few days from july from stark nurseries that one did fine too. Hopefully that one does well, I had to move it again for a solar pool heater being in the way at home. That pristine tree had buds breaking when I planted it. Im a sucker for a sale.

Apples trees are tough. I got one I see everyday going to work, a car ran into it 3 winters ago. Looks ugly, but still putting fruit out.

I would water it. IF your worried about dormancy, shovel some more snow around it.
No snow here , we only got one snow storm so far this winter of maybe 2-3 inches. It's not Florida though , these are the forecasted temperatures for the next 7 days 51/45 52/29 55/29 61/43 58/39 45/35 48/30 . Typically mid March is when the leaves start coming out and you see the white pear blossoms. However it's not uncommon to get a late frost in early April. So I'm hoping the trees I receive are dormant...

I grew up within 10-15 miles of The Wildlife Group's place, in east-central AL, near the Lee/Macon county line. Guarantee you stuff will be breaking dormancy down there before long, so unless they have a cold-storage facility, anything they're digging from Feb 1 on will be getting close...

No snow here , we only got one snow storm so far this winter of maybe 2-3 inches. It's not Florida though , these are the forecasted temperatures for the next 7 days 51/45 52/29 55/29 61/43 58/39 45/35 48/30 . Typically mid March is when the leaves start coming out and you see the white pear blossoms. However it's not uncommon to get a late frost in early April. So I'm hoping the trees I receive are dormant...
Wasn't sure if VA was getting snow from this storm or not. 8-12 inches forcasted here for tuesday. If I didn't hurt my chest muscle wedensday I would be running the rototiller this weekend getting spots prepped.

If roots are covered and they are dormant they will be fine. Or there would be no trees in Virginia.

It's like frost seeding. What difference does it make clover won't grow until the soil temperature rises to when the seed can germinate. My iris are already up 8 inches n the maple buds are already huge in michigan.

Plant, water, and worry not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* UPDATE* I received my trees from The Wildlife group last Thursday . I was surprised they came in a big 6 foot box. The trees are basically dormant whips with decent girth and every tree was 5-6 inches taller than the 5 foot tree tube. So far I am impressed with the quality/ size of trees I received . I planted , tubed, caged and watered them they day they arrived. The following Day my Mother had hip replacement surgery , so my time to check on my trees for the near future will be limited. They are still dormant , but I don't think it can hurt to water them once a week, although we have a few more nights/mornings forecasted to be in the mid 20's , then In March I'll get some mulch when the stores have it in stock around here .

* UPDATE* I received my trees from The Wildlife group last Thursday . I was surprised they came in a big 6 foot box. The trees are basically dormant whips with decent girth and every tree was 5-6 inches taller than the 5 foot tree tube. So far I am impressed with the quality/ size of trees I received . I planted , tubed, caged and watered them they day they arrived. The following Day my Mother had hip replacement surgery , so my time to check on my trees for the near future will be limited. They are still dormant , but I don't think it can hurt to water them once a week, although we have a few more nights/mornings forecasted to be in the mid 20's , then In March I'll get some mulch when the stores have it in stock around here .
I’ve ordered a bunch from them. They all arrive in great shape. Sometimes I get a few more trees than I ordered also.

I’ve ordered a bunch from them. They all arrive in great shape. Sometimes I get a few more trees than I ordered also.
Omicron , I wasn't going to say anything.... BUT It sounds like their shipping dept. is prone to making mistakes, and you probably got somebody else's trees lol. I ordered 6 trees 1 yates Apple , 3 Wildlife pears and 2 Gilmer Christmas pears. Received 1 Yates, 2 trees Tagged Wildlife pear and 2 Trees Tagged Keiffer pear and one untagged mystery tree. I called TWG and explained I got two Keiffers trees instead of the Gilmer Christmas pears, and one untagged tree and I e mailed them pictures for proof . They apologized and said they would send the correct trees next week. Mistakes happen...as long as they send the correct trees as promised I'll rate my Experience as A+.
In the past I have ordered from Whitetail Crabs, Blue Hill and NativNurseries and always got the correct number of trees , and the trees in the box all had tags.

I used hot water in the holes I dug. Filled the holes let it soak in.

mulch is your friend.

Omicron , I wasn't going to say anything.... BUT It sounds like their shipping dept. is prone to making mistakes, and you probably got somebody else's trees lol. I ordered 6 trees 1 yates Apple , 3 Wildlife pears and 2 Gilmer Christmas pears. Received 1 Yates, 2 trees Tagged Wildlife pear and 2 Trees Tagged Keiffer pear and one untagged mystery tree. I called TWG and explained I got two Keiffers trees instead of the Gilmer Christmas pears, and one untagged tree and I e mailed them pictures for proof . They apologized and said they would send the correct trees next week. Mistakes happen...as long as they send the correct trees as promised I'll rate my Experience as A+.
In the past I have ordered from Whitetail Crabs, Blue Hill and NativNurseries and always got the correct number of trees , and the trees in the box all had tags.

I just planted 16 fruit trees from the wildlife group( I ordered 15 ,they threw in an extra)

I previously had trouble with " the labeling thing" and untagged trees

when I ordered, I specifically talked to Allen about that and all trees came tagged this year

bill

I just planted 16 fruit trees from the wildlife group( I ordered 15 ,they threw in an extra)

I previously had trouble with " the labeling thing" and untagged trees

when I ordered, I specifically talked to Allen about that and all trees came tagged this year

bill
That's cool Bill ....I've never received a correct order, with any extra trees in the box from any of the places I've ordered from. Probably because I only buy small amounts , 5-6 trees at a time. If The Wildlife Group trees grow here as good as they look, I will call ahead a few days before my next order ships out and talk to Allen and ask to make sure all the trees are tagged and the correct trees are in the box. I just want what I ordered , and for all the trees in the box to be tagged .

I’m thinking of moving up my planting date from the end of March to the first or second weekend..the temps looks good but now I just have to get my cages, mats and other supplies around first..glad to hear y’all are getting them in even before now!