Some type of worms?

jsasker007

5 year old buck +
Was out doing some clearing with the excavator yesterday and noticed some kind of bright orange worms everywhere in my woods. Don't recall ever seeing anything like that before. Of course I didn't have my phone with me so no pictures. Any idea what those could be? They almost look like fallen leaves or seeds from trees but if you watch them they move real slow. Anywhere from 1/4" to about 4" long. WTH?

The worms I saw look like pieces of orange styrofoam. Almost glowing. Seemed to be brighter orange on one end fading to a light orange or yellow color. I tried looking them up on the internet without finding the right ones. I'm stumped. They just look like debrie until you watch one for a while. They move super slow, probably to avoid predators would be my guess. Strange

They didn't appear to have any segments on them just looked smooth with more of a "point" on each end.

The worms I saw look like pieces of orange styrofoam. Almost glowing. Seemed to be brighter orange on one end fading to a light orange or yellow color. I tried looking them up on the internet without finding the right ones. I'm stumped. They just look like debrie until you watch one for a while. They move super slow, probably to avoid predators would be my guess. Strange
No other immediate ideas, but few questions that may help others ID...

1) Were they on top of leaf litter in woods / not actually in worked soil?
2) Since not segmented, sounds like they were smooth... were they also slimy like earthworms or drier looking?
3) Did they look like they could be caterpillars of any sort? With such dramatic size/length difference sounds like probably not?
4) And finally, location central Minnesota as in your avatar description?

Again, just trying to think of questions that might help those in the know! 👍

Anything special to your soil, ike particuarly high or low pH. Sometimes that can effect color of insects.

I recall a post about someone converting old hayfield to rental AG crop, or something like that. Farmer was spraying with a respirator on. There is alot of pesticide spraying going on in AG crops, alot more than you think. Grubs, worms, or other insects that cause damage once they emege from the soil, besides ones that damage root systems. Earthworms can be considered bad in some agricultural systems.

Earthworms turn more orange when mating

Do an Internet search for Orange Cambium Eating Maggot. I believe that will be your critter.

No other immediate ideas, but few questions that may help others ID...

1) Were they on top of leaf litter in woods / not actually in worked soil?
2) Since not segmented, sounds like they were smooth... were they also slimy like earthworms or drier looking?
3) Did they look like they could be caterpillars of any sort? With such dramatic size/length difference sounds like probably not?
4) And finally, location central Minnesota as in your avatar description?

Again, just trying to think of questions that might help those in the know! 👍
They looked dry and were on top of the ground. Minnesota is correct.

Anything special to your soil, ike particuarly high or low pH. Sometimes that can effect color of insects.

I recall a post about someone converting old hayfield to rental AG crop, or something like that. Farmer was spraying with a respirator on. There is alot of pesticide spraying going on in AG crops, alot more than you think. Grubs, worms, or other insects that cause damage once they emege from the soil, besides ones that damage root systems. Earthworms can be considered bad in some agricultural systems.

Earthworms turn more orange when mating
Mostly in my woods and I have no idea about the pH there. No spraying anywhere around.

Do an Internet search for Orange Cambium Eating Maggot. I believe that will be your critter.
That does look really close to the right color but not quite the same body. Maybe it's a slightly different variation? The hundreds of them that I saw looked to be smooth. They look like cheese puffs scattered on the ground.

I have some pictures but I can't get them to transfer here from my phone. It is some type of slug I believe. Also found some good sized bear tracks about 60 yards from my house when I went out to take pictures of the orange "things".

1720624568502.png
This isn't a picture that I took but found this picture that I think is the same thing that I've got all over in my woods. Have never seen these before and I've been on this property since 1993. It's rained here at least twice a week since the snow melted in spring. Thinking that must have something to do with the slug explosion. This picture was from someone in minnesota back in 2017 and about 60 miles from me.

View attachment 66123
This isn't a picture that I took but found this picture that I think is the same thing that I've got all over in my woods. Have never seen these before and I've been on this property since 1993. It's rained here at least twice a week since the snow melted in spring. Thinking that must have something to do with the slug explosion. This picture was from someone in minnesota back in 2017 and about 60 miles from me.

That looks like a slug!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Making me want to go fishing!

I got one of those!

CHEERS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 15
I got one of those!

CHEERS
OH no....the worlds worst GF beer! Are you cursed too????? Ghostfish from Seattle

Thanks for the tip!

This stuff is barely….or should I say Barley……palatable?