It's time for sex checking

Bumping this great thread because "its about that time" of year to see the persimmons flower

Also, I grafted 27 trees with scions that Mozark sent me ~ 3 weeks ago

Will be checking on results for the first trip out to the ranch since that time

bill

Bumping this great thread because "its about that time" of year to see the persimmons flower

Also, I grafted 27 trees with scions that Mozark sent me ~ 3 weeks ago

Will be checking on results for the first trip out to the ranch since that time

bill
Bill, your timing is great. I noticed some flowers yesterday.

From the persimmons I have planted, the ones that have flowered first have been all males too, Native. I believe I will keep them as is to help with pollination. I bought them from a local nursery on 2 separate occasions. 1 group starts waking up end of March to early April while the other group wakes up end of April to early May. They have to be different types. They are all planted in the same area. Just found that odd.

I planted this tree December 2013

First flowers

Male or female?

bill

Attachments

• View recent photos 2.png
    View recent photos 2.png
    337.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 21
ok, thanks

how bout this one?
Bill, the picture is so small I can't see it well, but I think I see a place where 2 flowers come off at the same spot. That would mean another boy. Female flowers will always be a single flower coming from one location. Males can be single, double or triple.

Today I was working on the side of my farm that I am generally only at about this time of year. I was doing some repairs on a property line fence and noticed a young persimmon tree about 10 feet high that I had never seen before. I started walking toward it and immediately could see that it was covered with female flowers. This put me in somewhat of a hard situation. I never hunt on that side of the farm, so having a persimmon tree there might not be good due to neighbors hunting close by. I though about cutting it down but couldn't bring myself to do it. Even though it is close to where neighbors are hunting, they can't see the tree, so hopefully no issues with leaving it.