It's time for sex checking

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Right now in my area is a good time to check your persimmon seedlings to determine their gender. It's really easy to tell the difference by the flowers, and this thread will have some pictures.

My thoughts are summed up below:

• It can take about 10 years or more before a persimmon starts producing flowers. It does seem to me that males show their sex a few years before females. So far, all of the ones that have been slow to flower have eventually shown themselves to be females for me. That may not hold true everywhere, but I'm starting to suspect that it might.
  • I have both native seedlings and some seedlings I set a few years ago that I got from the NWTF. So far I have had an unusually high number of females from the seedlings I set. From what I am told, this is unusual.
  • I've also noticed that when a female starts bearing persimmons it will be slow at first. After a couple years of bearing, the crop starts increasing significantly. Of course, with seedling trees there is a lot of variation from tree to tree in characteristics - just like if you plant apple seeds. Today I noticed that a tree that started bearing sparingly two years ago was simply loaded with flowers. This tree will likely have a bumper crop this year.
  • You can topwork a persimmon even before you determine the sex. One advantage of doing this is getting a tree with the characteristics that you want. I have done this myself, but I also enjoy waiting for the tree to reveal its gender. I like a few trees around that are not topworked, and I like the variety that adds. Unless I want a specific variety at a specific place, I generally just wait and leave the females alone and topwork the males I want changed.
  • Keep in mind that my pictures below are of flowers that have just emerged, and they will get much bigger as they develop. However, you can already tell the sex at this early stage.

This is the female flower. Female flowers occur individually on very short stalks. Individual female flowers are just a little bigger than 1/2 inch when fully developed. The flower has an oval shaped corolla with 4 lobes, a pistil with 4 inserted styles, a calyx with 4 large teeth. The flowers in my picture as very small right now, but you can still easily tell they are female.

QJOH9YWh.jpg

These are the male flowers. Male flowers are arranged in small clusters of 2-3 on short branching stalks. Keep in mind that if you see more than one flower side by side, it is definitely a male. Individual male flowers are about 1/3" long, and have a corolla with 4 lobes, a calyx with 4 teeth, and several stamens.

Wx7dqayh.jpg

This is a tree that just revealed this year that it is a female. I was very happy, because it is such a nice, big tree I didn't want to cut the top out of it. I think this is one of the NWTF seedlings I got a few years ago.

wrvWHI1h.jpg

This is an example of a nice sized female that has been bearing for three or four years now. This one is loaded with flower this year.

This is a tree I topworked last year. I was a male at the edge of one of my plots. I changed it over to a Dogdoc female, and it is growing great. The graft is at the ribbon. All that growth in one year.

jdAPSDch.jpg

This is a smaller tree that revealed it's a female just this spring. That's a wild cherry standing by it to the right. I have gobs of wild cherry, so will probably cut it and open the space up for the persimmon.

ia5GlFYh.jpg

You think you have found everything, and then you find another persimmon. This is a native seedling that I found today at the edge of a plot where I cleared some brush. I marked it with ribbon and will clean out around it now. I think there is a good chance this is a female. It is about 40 feet from a big native female, so I suspect it is coming off the same roots. However, we will watch it and go from there.

6ddccuih.jpg

That's it guys. Hope you enjoyed. Get out there and get to checking.

Last edited:
Nice post. I'm a bit out of the native range. The only persimmons we have not planted likely were planted by previous owners. There were 3 trees by the barn when my folks bought their farm 55 years ago, a male and 2 females. The male blew over in storm 5 years ago and the female production dropped way off. That male has stump sprouted but i will have to check if it is flowering yet.

I have planted dozens of seedlings and plan to graft all of of them eventually. Since i have just one known male, i may graft to create males to ensure good pollination. I'd rather get some known males established in specific locations than realize i need them later.

Nice post. I'm a bit out of the native range. The only persimmons we have not planted likely were planted by previous owners. There were 3 trees by the barn when my folks bought their farm 55 years ago, a male and 2 females. The male blew over in storm 5 years ago and the female production dropped way off. That male has stump sprouted but i will have to check if it is flowering yet.

I have planted dozens of seedlings and plan to graft all of of them eventually. Since i have just one known male, i may graft to create males to ensure good pollination. I'd rather get some known males established in specific locations than realize i need them later.

That sounds like a good plan. I would check with England's Orchard. Last year he had an excess of persimmon seedlings and had a sale on them. I'm thinking about $2.50 each if I recall correctly. He might have more this year or next year like that. He uses them for grafting, and my guess is that some years he ends up with too many.

Also, if you plant 10 seedlings, I would bet you end up with at least 4 males and probably more.

Good luck with the males.

I would really like to get some growing on my place but don't know if I'm to far north, they sure would ad another link in the food chain. I tried a half dozen small ones a couple years ago but they didn't take. Going to have to read up on them to see exactly where I would need to plant them and what kind I should put out.

Yours look great Native!

I would really like to get some growing on my place but don't know if I'm to far north, they sure would ad another link in the food chain. I tried a half dozen small ones a couple years ago but they didn't take. Going to have to read up on them to see exactly where I would need to plant them and what kind I should put out.

Yours look great Native!

H2O, I would try to find some Northern sources, and make sure you get 90 chromosome persimmons. Those would definitely be the far northern most ones.

PS: At one time I could find a map on the Internet that showed where the approximate dividing lines were between 90, 60 and 30 chromosome varieties, but now I can't find that map any more. If someone can find it, please send me a link.

I've planted seedlings from Missouri MDC. Nice stock and cheap (25/$10) but i can't recall if they are big enough to bench graft. I field grafted some of those last year but did not have time this year.

I'd just graft a few male branches to your female trees.

Native Hunter,

Great post and good picks for folks sexing persimmons. I was hoping to graft a few later this week but we are socked in with rain. Most years the second week of May is a good time to bark graft persimmons in my location but things are running a little late this year.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for the post. I wish I could find one growing on the edge of a plot...

Native Hunter,

Great post and good picks for folks sexing persimmons. I was hoping to graft a few later this week but we are socked in with rain. Most years the second week of May is a good time to bark graft persimmons in my location but things are running a little late this year.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks Jack. We are wet here too. Had a few days of relief and now going back into several days of rain. Best wishes.

I've been checking my persimmon grafts this year as frequently as I can. I didn't see the first green tips until 15 days after grafting. Today was Day 22, and I saw some more green tips today that were not there yesterday. Shown below are some examples. The scions with the most leaves are the ones that I saw green tips on Day 15. The ones that are just beginning to show green are the ones that I saw first today.

This illustrates how persimmons can be much slower than apples or pears to show leaves after topworking.

qVPRF3jh.jpg

c3b32Hkh.jpg

Looks Great! I just grafted 8 persimmons yesterday. I lost a bunch to fire several years ago when we did a controlled burn and it evidently got too hot. They all put up new top growth from the root system. The new trees are about 6' tall and 3/4" in caliper. There were generally more than one sprout per tree. I removed all be the strongest and bark grafted them on Saturday. It will be a couple more weeks until I have results.

Looks Great! I just grafted 8 persimmons yesterday. I lost a bunch to fire several years ago when we did a controlled burn and it evidently got too hot. They all put up new top growth from the root system. The new trees are about 6' tall and 3/4" in caliper. There were generally more than one sprout per tree. I removed all be the strongest and bark grafted them on Saturday. It will be a couple more weeks until I have results.

Let me know how many days it is before you see green tips. It seemed slow to me this year, but I did start kind of early. The trees were just beginning to come out of dormancy.

Let me know how many days it is before you see green tips. It seemed slow to me this year, but I did start kind of early. The trees were just beginning to come out of dormancy.

It is typically about 2 weeks for me most years. We got a boatload of rain before I grafted and more in the forecast. That could speed things up a bit for me but 2 weeks is typical. Most of my persimmon grafts are bark grafts. I typically wait until about May 10th in my area before I start. Things were slow coming out of dormancy here so I waited and extra 10 days. I find that bark grafts do much better when the sap is running real good. I know guys that do cleft grafting start much earlier than I do.

Thanks,

Jack

I didn't take any pictures, but thought it would be good to mention that I had green tips on 3 more trees I topworked at 27 days that didn't show any signs of greening at 21 days. Moral of story - don't give up on persimmon grafts too soon.

Here you can see how the flowers change over time. I took these today. Top pic is the male flowers. They are opening up. They look like little urns. The next pic is the female. You can see that it is enlarging.

AiDXK30h.jpg

XU1fqrrh.jpg

Found these yesterday, really excited. I think this tree was planted in 2014 as a seedling from MDC. It is the largest and seems to be the only one with flowers so far but a few of the others are almost as large and hopefully will declare their sex in the next few years.
Thanks for posting this link, I would have had no idea which flowers designated female trees.

Attachments

• IMG_5115.JPG
    IMG_5115.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5116.PNG
    IMG_5116.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Update:

First Pic shows persimmons forming.

Second Pic shows new grafts taking off great.

TUu47FX.jpg

This thread has officially inspired me to start grafting persimmon next year. Now I know for sure I have some female scion.
And my project list for next spring grows yet again : )