My little slice of Heaven

Not many native apples this year so no late dropping apples. Food plot isn’t getting hammered but I’m getting more action than some friends with similar thing’s growing in their plots. I’m happy with the results and will do it again this year.
AA52166A-3448-4618-AFCD-0FDE203583D5.jpeg
E979A16A-C187-47B8-ABBA-CD7B2870ED55.jpeg

Great thread man!! Thanks for sharing all your hard work!

I still had a blanket of snow 2 weeks ago, only in small shady pockets a week ago and totally snow free as of this weekend. These Hazels already have catkins? This would be the first year they produce nuts if it happens, this would only be their 3rd growing season in the ground, seems early but I’m new to these.

Dog photobombs me every damn time lol
5FFA93D5-9BBD-423A-9864-978B78428DEB.jpeg

He actually makes a good contrast so the catkins show up nicely. Hazelnuts tend to produce in small amounts for me in 3 years so you’ll likely have some nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He actually makes a good contrast so the catkins show up nicely. Hazelnuts tend to produce in small amounts for me in 3 years so you’ll likely have some nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know bud so thank you, he said 3 to 5 years but I don’t have good soil so I was figuring closer to 5. These are from Z’s Nutty Ridge, he’s across the valley from my house so I get the neighbor discount. Great guy honestly, very passionate about growing stuff like us.

You know you’re a Habitat Guy when you pull trees off roofs you spot at work to plant on your land 😜

We were looking for a roof leak on our Biology Building, I saw the tree and told the guy it has to go and I would take care of it 😁

CB94F2C2-C95F-4E0A-887D-2EEF8E3A4178.jpeg

45A6DB07-76DF-4D15-A16A-EECA99FE80B1.jpeg

0C532972-AE8A-4351-93A5-EE9E7CB0F0A1.jpeg

Last year was my first year with a 1 acre food plot so all I know is what I’ve read here. I had lots of action in it and could have taken doe and little bucks but I only shoot 3 yr old and up bucks and take my doe elsewhere. Quite often I would see deer throughout the winter digging up brassica bulbs so to me it was one of my first food sources I have provided my deer and consider it a success.

Walking through the plot today I see some WR sprouting, clover seems abundant but most of the brassica bulbs sprouting new growth. Is that supposed to happen? Sorry if it’s a rookie question but I am very much a rookie with this. I assume they produce a seed or reproduce somehow naturally, just never read anywhere that people were terminating their brassicas from last fall.
20FCC9B8-F9BA-415B-A5B1-A8D699E53989.jpeg
177702AD-8C36-450D-BE13-6BC35A6D4D0C.jpeg

7DB6A262-0F58-47C0-B819-2D69BA3CC64B.jpeg

Last edited:
That's neat. You must be just warm enough that they don't winterkill. Every once in a blue moon, I'll get one to live and bolt into the following year. I always thought it was an un-germinated seed from the fall that maybe laid on top of a leaf and never took.

Looks like you got a lot of the principles of soil health covered @Troubles Trees. Good ground coverage and diverse living roots, looks good. It's fun to watch beyond the benefits for deer! I've seen some regrowth in turnips/radishes in spring but like SD, I'm not sure if it's just seed that didn't germ in the fall.

Great input guys so thank you for that! I am in unfamiliar territory here, should I be concerned about them growing or just let them go for more OM?

Great input guys so thank you for that! I am in unfamiliar territory here, should I be concerned about them growing or just let them go for more OM?

I wouldn't be concerned at all and happy to see them growing. I'd think they'd bolt and be done before it's time to plant in the fall.

Many brassicas are biennial. My kale plants always survive the winter and bolt the following year. I use this strategy to keep living roots in my garden soil all year and to have an early spring crop to eat from the garden while the lettuce and salad radishes grow.

I would consider it a positive in a food plot, but it depends on your goals. You're feeding wildlife and soil microbes. I see that as a win.

Great input guys, thank you!

Great weather weekend! Dropped the 4wheeler off for repairs I can’t seem to figure out. Planted a Niagra grape to replace the one that died, planted a few plumbs and some more hazelnut from Z’s Nutty Ridge. Most of the weekend was fertilizing and liming everything I have in the ground. I sprayed around about half of everything with calcium based Plot Start to see if it helps growth, I’ll follow up here in the fall whether it helps or not. My growth is lethargic so it should be obvious. Replaced most of the marking flags that lost their flag and trimmed around everything as I went. I am going with Vitalize Seed's summer planting called Nitro Boost this spring, I wanted to plant the food plot this weekend but with the wheeler down it will have to wait.

The black flies and ticks are absolutely brutal this time of year so I didn’t pause much to take pictures unfortunately. Everything is greening up nicely though. Only the 2nd year on the BH pears and didn’t want them to fruit so I picked the flowers off. Not sure if the Persimmon survived, they don’t even have buds swelling yet, my last shot at growing them if they don’t make it. I’ll just visit Native to eat one *giggles*

949581AD-A2F5-4AB9-AB05-7CC10F2C0C8F.jpeg

Last edited:
As for your turnip & radish bulbs growing new tops ....... I don't think the deer will eat "leftovers" !!! 😁 😆

More deer food - more OM. Can't lose. All good, TT.

What kind of hazelnuts from Z Nutty? Planted some a couple yrs ago from them but waiting on some new varieties to finally b available as hear they along with others are trying new crosses.

What kind of hazelnuts from Z Nutty? Planted some a couple yrs ago from them but waiting on some new varieties to finally b available as hear they along with others are trying new crosses.
This year I planted Finger Lakes Abundant, my first ones were Truxton Hazel (Truxton is the town next door to us). Both are hybrids he created and are definitely cold hardy. 2 years ago he doubled his plantings and still sells out every year, great guy, really can't say enough good about him.

This year I planted Finger Lakes Abundant, my first ones were Truxton Hazel (Truxton is the town next door to us). Both are hybrids he created and are definitely cold hardy. 2 years ago he doubled his plantings and still sells out every year, great guy, really can't say enough good about him.
Will have to check out the Z Nutty website this fall again and find out when he starts taking orders. Like you say he sells out early most every yr on the hybrids. Been trying to get some Nitka? I think for a couple yrs. There are some other new types from upper Midwest also waiting for more availability locally.

Will have to check out the Z Nutty website this fall again and find out when he starts taking orders. Like you say he sells out early most every yr on the hybrids. Been trying to get some Nitka? I think for a couple yrs. There are some other new types from upper Midwest also waiting for more availability locally.
The guy that owns Z's is very helpful and would give you a date his sales kick off, Jeff is his name. I would be willing to bet he would pull your order ahead of time if you mention that you have tried a few years but always find him sold out.

A few of my neighbors planted a bunch of his Chestnuts through the years, I haven't gone that route yet due to a lack of room to plant, but those guys already have chestnuts producing on 8-10 year old trees from Z's. I really need to clear cut some more trees to make more room to plant more stuff!

This is my experience with Stark Bros every time I order. I needed to replant my strawberry patch and saw a couple plumbs I wanted on sale so I added them to the order. For a “professional” nursery to send out orders like this makes me wonder if it’s just my orders that end up arriving this way? Keeping the roots moist is by far the most important step in shipping!
IMG_7980.jpeg

That’s the strawberries in the front right.
IMG_7978.jpeg

Here’s where the shredded fabric that is supposed to be packed in around the roots ends up.
IMG_7982.png