My little slice of Heaven

sheese, they will be breaking buds in 8 weeks.

Yea, finishing their drop a little later than I would like but it is good to know they are dropping throughout the winter and there are more late droppers than I had previously recorded. The last 2 years I only had 3 or 4 of these guys, some are younger trees that don't produce a lot of fruit yet so probably part of the equation.

I shook most of the apples down after I took the pictures and put flagging tape on them to mark them.

Dogs are considered family members so I always feel inclined to share pictures :)

September 7th to February 27th :/

Bruno’s parents were not big dogs for the breed, am I feeding him too much?!? lol My daughter is 5’ 8” for context.

3556DA06-F655-4B9C-AA33-8BD254160512.jpegA19845EB-579C-450B-80E0-B6252B2A7437.jpeg

I always focus on work and forget to take pictures, I’ll take more tomorrow when I get weed mats and the cages go on.
Check out the root mass on these Persimmons from Blue Hill I pre-dug the holes, then opened up the bag of trees and pulled out the first tree, then sealed it back up and dug all the holes wider because holy ****! The Pear trees root mass were about half the size of the Persimmon.

2 Danville Kieffer Pear
2 Malus Pear
2 Sweet Advent Pear
2 Deer Lucious Persimmon
2 Full Draw Persimmon
1 Tin Cup Persimmon

75050957-92D6-4D75-B958-7827B278C009.jpeg

Dang it! I have blue hill trees sitting at my back door at the farm since yesterday. I go out Monday. Two persimmons in the bunch. I hate the shovel….that’s a big hole in my clay. Screw it, I’m getting out the tractor bucket!

I was not disappointed in that order, a little bummed I had to dig more. I took the last 2 days off work to run the chainsaw and plant these ahead of the rain and snow that started this morning.
I need a younger me body lol

25 White Pine and 25 Allegheny Chinquapin from the NYS DEC arrived today. I’ll be digging in trees between rain and snow.

View attachment 42491View attachment 42492
Do you already have Allegheny Chinquapin growing on your place? I got some seed last fall, but I dont know if any of them are going to come up this spring.

Do you already have Allegheny Chinquapin growing on your place? I got some seed last fall, but I dont know if any of them are going to come up this spring.
Yessir, I planted 70 of them in groups of 15-20. On their 3rd growing season (last year) I had Catkins on just one of them but no nuts, I am not sure if they need a 2nd separate plant to pollinate but I was entirely stoked to have catkins in such a short time.
I posted a picture of the Chinquapins in this thread at the bottom of post #45.

Yessir, I planted 70 of them in groups of 15-20. On their 3rd growing season (last year) I had Catkins on just one of them but no nuts, I am not sure if they need a 2nd separate plant to pollinate but I was entirely stoked to have catkins in such a short time.
I posted a picture of the Chinquapins in this thread at the bottom of post #45.
That is impressive! I will have to remember that for next year if none of mine take.

Finally got a sprayer to start a small foodplot this year and a way to water plantings on dry years. I only had time to assemble it today so I still have to figure out how to mount it proper.

Everything is heavier duty than I expected except the plastic ball valve that shuts off the sprayer feed, I’ll probably install a metal ball valve inline and leave the plastic one open full time.

16D17D62-F126-4BCD-B71A-CCFEE9EA5F8E.jpeg

All my trees are in the ground and protected, 6 Blue Hill Pears and 5 Blue Hill Persimmon. I also got 25 White Pine and 25 Copper Chinquapins from the DEC this year, I ran out of room to plant the Chinquapin's so I gave them to a friend that is trying to do what I am for Deer and Turkey. I sprayed my food plot a couple weeks ago and spread 50# of Buckwheat, 50# of Sun Hemp and 8# of medium Red Clover last week for my first food plot.
I also sprayed my headache Knotweed with Polaris AC, the main ingredient is Imazapyr that is supposed to kill it according to the research I have read. Crossing my fingers there.

F6DD6677-E903-481D-8494-61816C52DE4F.jpeg

D85B6692-B46F-4C31-868C-3A52C215A2BC.jpeg

Last edited:
D884C7A5-C0E2-446D-AA3B-F37FED08BAB8.jpegEE87FE61-D2C7-45A9-A355-BD0DB5425446.jpeg78BCAC5B-4192-41BA-A365-03A7D6410C07.jpegA few more of the Allegheny Chinquapins have catkins this year, it’s nice to see but half of me would rather see them push more growth.
We had 3 days of cloudy and off and on rain after I put the seed out on the food plot but I don’t see much growing. I didn’t have much thatch to plant in so probably the main factor. On a good note, if the food plot thing doesn't work out I have more room to plant trees :)

The growth on the Ninebark always makes me smile, I wish more of what I planted went that well. The deer heavily browse it back every fall and it rebounds every spring.

Attachments

• A71A4DC2-5E81-4EAE-9BEB-40955002105D.jpeg
    A71A4DC2-5E81-4EAE-9BEB-40955002105D.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
View attachment 43322View attachment 43323View attachment 43324A few more of the Allegheny Chinquapins have catkins this year, it’s nice to see but half of me would rather see them push more growth.
We had 3 days of cloudy and off and on rain after I put the seed out on the food plot but I don’t see much growing. I didn’t have much thatch to plant in so probably the main factor. On a good note, if the food plot thing doesn't work out I have more room to plant trees :)

The growth on the Ninebark always makes me smile, I wish more of what I planted went that well. The deer heavily browse it back every fall and it rebounds every spring.
The deer don’t browse your Allegheny Chinquapin? They don’t look like they are protected.

Unprotected ninebark on my place gets eaten to ground...going to start planting it in small fenced groves like the plums so it can get established.

The deer don’t browse your Allegheny Chinquapin? They don’t look like they are protected.
No sir, that is one of the things they don't touch for some reason bud.

Unprotected ninebark on my place gets eaten to ground...going to start planting it in small fenced groves like the plums so it can get established.
Out of everything I have planted, the Ninebark grew the best and despite getting hammered in the fall I am surprised how well it bounces back. I have a lot of native Dogwoods that don't get browsed as much.

And i thought Ninebark was not a deer browse item. Glad I just planted 100 unprotected :emoji_fearful:

For anyone fighting Knotweed, Polaris AC (Imazapyr) works as a foliar spray. I mixed it at 6oz per gallon if memory serves. I sprayed about 3 weeks ago, until a couple days ago it stayed a lighter green than usual so I was skeptical and considering hitting it again. If anyone knows a cheaper version of Imazapyr please comment. I couldn’t find anything local and bought it online at $70 for 30 oz. and I have a lot more to spray.
I have great (unexpected) growth on my Blue Hill Pears and Persimmons, with rain pending I was in a hurry with the task at hand yesterday so I’ll take pics to post later today.

F26EB0F5-32D5-4A7D-8E9C-313EEAB13845.pngA3D21499-4116-44B4-9D47-87F250FCE4F0.jpeg