Some of my crabs.

Can you see a preference by the deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya gotta love these volunteers! I sometimes scratch my head when I stumble onto a “wild” apple that is flourishing without any of the scrupulous planning, attention, and protection I shower on my wildlife orchard trees. Go figure… love these beauties.

I have some like the red ones in 2nd pic.Do you ever see them fall and does anything eat them

I have literally tons of food all over my farm, so there really isnt a big reason for deer to focus on those crabapples. I suspect the bulk of them get eaten by other animals. I have 100 apple, pear, chestnut and persimmon trees that should start producing in the next 2-3 years. For me it is all about about adding pounds of food to the property without the annual costs that go with additional acres of plots.

I had 2 that produced a fruit about the size of your finger nail and didn't fall off tree until march and another that never produced anything in 10 years so they all got a dose of tordon

I had 2 that produced a fruit about the size of your finger nail and didn't fall off tree until march and another that never produced anything in 10 years so they all got a dose of tordon
Had those fruits been a little bigger, you may have had a winner there! Who doesn’t like a late hanging crab?
We have quite a few wild crabs on the farm. This year, some are loaded and some are bare.

CCE7A173-CAEE-43A4-9022-D43F064E622B.jpeg404FC736-398C-4BB6-A648-A3EA5C4B256C.jpeg2BB9FBA0-5CC4-4043-B9D3-F5D89D04B0F8.jpeg3DA15930-A3F1-4952-A5AA-DF893AE12E0F.jpeg

Most of them never fell,just dried up.I did use them for shade to start 2 new chestnuts before I killed them.I am running out of room to plant trees.I can't see across my food plots because of the trees

Reactions: DJN
Had those fruits been a little bigger, you may have had a winner there! Who doesn’t like a late hanging crab?
We have quite a few wild crabs on the farm. This year, some are loaded and some are bare.

View attachment 32322View attachment 32323View attachment 32324View attachment 32325
Our wild crabs drop all winter long. They are small but provide a fair amount of food when the picking is slim and the snow is deep.

Our wild crabs drop all winter long. They are small but provide a fair amount of food when the picking is slim and the snow is deep.
Same here S.T. Usually 3/4” to an inch in diameter, but plentiful and hang for a while. It gets tore up underneath them in late winter for sure.

What is usually the average time crabs drop? I have ten 4 year old crabs ready to plant on my hunting property, but I would like to strategically plant them by their drop time.

All depends on what variety they are. Could be July could be Feb.

The crabs I have are a mix of Dolgo, Transendent, Chestnut, Centennial, Whitney & Prairie. Any idea on drop times for these types of crabs?

Centenial should be August, chestnut September, whitney will be Sept into october, dolgo will start in august and have a prolonged drop time dropping into december I'm not sure about the others. You should be able to find a drop time chard with a quick internet search. I'm no apple expert by any means. Root stock may also play a role but cant say much about that.

Brushy
Check out the Crabapple timeline thread started by Sandbur. He has many of those varieties mentioned there and drop times was a focus for parts of it and pics and sizes of fruit.

Thanks ST and Rock!

Brushy
Check out the Crabapple timeline thread started by Sandbur. He has many of those varieties mentioned there and drop times was a focus for parts of it and pics and sizes of fruit.

I have seen some variation from year to year. Many were two weeks early this year. Two of my Big Dogs also started dropping early. I haven’t checked the other Big Dogs.

Chestnut usually drops through the month of September with just a few apples holding later on.

Other climates could be much different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk