Smokers

gwm

5 year old buck +
Have been wanting one for a while and finally bought one this weekend. We made burgers for lunch and this boneless chuck roast for dinner. Very good!

SmartSelectImage_2018-03-25-19-51-17.png

SmartSelectImage_2018-03-25-19-50-55.png

SmartSelectImage_2018-03-25-19-51-29.png

Did you end-for-end it?

So I had a Traeger catch fire and if it was where you have yours our house would’ve burned. Just an FYI for you.

Tried a GMG as a replacement and hated how it cooked.
Just bought a Traeger Pro 22 last week. 2 issues. 1st is with the Traeger junk ass pellets. Wouldn’t come up to temp. Replaced them with lumberjack pellets and it works. 2nd is with LER error codes. On long cooks stir your pellets every 90 min or you will come back to a cold smoker. Buddy just sold his and went Yoder. I am hoping to figure out all the quirks on the new Traeger cause I love how it cooks.

So I had a Traeger catch fire and if it was where you have yours our house would’ve burned. Just an FYI for you.

Just bought a Traeger Pro 22 last week. 2 issues. 1st is with the Traeger junk ass pellets. Wouldn’t come up to temp. Replaced them with lumberjack pellets and it works. 2nd is with LER error codes. On long cooks stir your pellets every 90 min or you will come back to a cold smoker. Buddy just sold his and went Yoder. I am hoping to figure out all the quirks on the new Traeger cause I love how it cooks.

Any idea how yours started on fire?

Traeger said it was a grease fire but I cleaned it less than a week prior so whatever. The new Traeger I bought has different cleaning instructions so who knows. I know one guy that had te pellets in his hopper catch fire. I used to have pics on my phone of the fire.

Had just donea pulled pork. Took it off and turned up the temperature to finish some jalapeño poppers. Literally walked in the house to get a pan to grab the poppers and noticed more smoke than usual. Opened the lid and it roared. Paint was burning off the outside and the inside. Liquid fire dripping on the concrete.

Well that doesn't give me the warm fuzzy. Where do you keep yours?

We bought the Pro Series 22 and it says to keep it at least a foot from the house. Maybe we need to move it to the garage.

I don’t know if other places do it, but they threw in a cover and 2 bags of pellets when we bought it.861D5777-89E6-45AA-AF80-9ECEA6EE0395.jpeg

What do you mean end for end it?

In the photo. I was trying to figure out which part I was looking at.

How was the result? Looks juicy and tasty.

Sign up for the forum Pelletfan.com all the info you would want on pellet grills and everybody is very friendly.

This was tonight.
B9177C9D-58B2-4945-93FE-F1E94854D284.jpeg

True meat smoking is a low temp slow cooking process. These pellet "grills' are not necessarily smokers in the true sense.

The goal is to avoid high temp that forces & renders the fat out of the meat, and keep your "wood" or "charcoal" below flash temp.

What are you cooking?

Deer burger and backstrap at 450. I usually use charcoal but a 40 mph south wind and tinder dry grass had me chicken out

Deer burger and backstrap at 450. I usually use charcoal but a 40 mph south wind and tinder dry grass had me chicken out
Are you saying smoker temp is at 450 deg F?

They are called pellet grills not smokers. Theory is you can use it in place of either one. I had it on high for grilling which is 450. I’ve also done pizza (delicious), brownies, etc. it’s about all I cook on in the summer months.

Ks
I see you were using the express setting on your pellet pooper :emoji_astonished:

Kamado Joe/Big Green Egg style grill is the only way to go.

waaaaay waaaay waaaay to hot. crank it down, if not LEAVE the lid open. If you leave your "pellet" at 450 and the lid closed its gonna burn. I cook all my burgers, straps, chicken, pheasants, and everything else at 350 tops!

unless I am smoking it!! I will crank it up a little in the winter months but NEVER 450. Totally agree on it's a grill, but 450 is off the chain hot for grilling. you have a unit that can control the temperature, utilize that feature.