Shooting house windows

BradB

5 year old buck +
I am constructing a couple of new single man box blinds. None of my existing boxes have closable windows and I want these to have them to keep out the weather and critters. Since I have never hunted out of a blind with actual see through windows I guess my question is do you usually keep the window, if glass, closed while hunting or keep them open. Closed it will require more movement and time to get them open to shoot and open will let scent out, which is one reason I want windows.I am really just trying to decide if it is worth the cost to get something like the Deer View or just have a solid covering for the opening that can be shut when not hunting.

I just ordered 8 Deer view windows for mine. I was just going to leave them open to the atmosphere, but I figured having windows will give me the option to close them if I wanted to, or open them. Most likely I will close a couple, and leave a couple open to block the wind, and to cover light into the stand.

I think the type of blind and windows really depend on your situation. A blind that is good for long distance rifle hunting in the cold and windy north may have different requirements than one that is also used for archery hunting in the warmer south. I'm in central VA. I use my blinds for archery, muzzleloader and firearm seasons. I build mine for good ventilation not warmth. I use push out windows to help conceal movement inside the blinds necessary for short range shooting and to help keep it cool. You can see pictures of some of my windows on this thread: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/foodplot-stand-transfered-from-the-qdma-forum.5529/

Thanks,

jack

I always tell my hunters to open the windows when they get into the blind. I have had hundreds of asian beetles in the sides of the windows. Two fell into the barrel of my rifle on time. Good thing I saw it happen. I have had windows freeze shut because of a ice storm the night before or just from condensation freezing. Running a portable heater for 20 minutes usually cures that problem. Once all windows have been opened, then the hunter can leave them open any width he desires. Sometimes you want to block out the wind, so it is only open a smidge.
I had my buddies daughter sit in a stand with 6 windows that open. She did not bother to follow instructions. My buddy did a one man drive to push a deer her way which he did. Everyone was waiting for the gunshot. After a while, I called her on the walkie talkie. She had not bothered to open the windows first as instructed. When the deer appeared and she had her shot, she then found out the window was frozen shut.

I always tell my hunters to open the windows when they get into the blind. I have had hundreds of asian beetles in the sides of the windows. Two fell into the barrel of my rifle on time. Good thing I saw it happen. I have had windows freeze shut because of a ice storm the night before or just from condensation freezing. Running a portable heater for 20 minutes usually cures that problem. Once all windows have been opened, then the hunter can leave them open any width he desires. Sometimes you want to block out the wind, so it is only open a smidge.
I had my buddies daughter sit in a stand with 6 windows that open. She did not bother to follow instructions. My buddy did a one man drive to push a deer her way which he did. Everyone was waiting for the gunshot. After a while, I called her on the walkie talkie. She had not bothered to open the windows first as instructed. When the deer appeared and she had her shot, she then found out the window was frozen shut.

Great example of how challenges change from region to region.