Sailing trip

Telemark

5 year old buck +
I recently got back from a sailing trip in the North Atlantic from Norway to Shetland Islands and back again. It was an amazing trip. We had decent winds on the way to Lerwick, and strong winds on the way back to Bergen. We got up over 9 knots on some big waves, and there was a lot of spray and bouncing around while hauling the lines to set and trim the sails. When we got back to the Norwegian coast, we had to climb up onto the yards to pack the sails away, and after that I was allowed to climb up to the highest yardarm and chill up there while we cruised into a fjord to anchor for the night. It's a huge square-rigger about 100 meters long, and it's Norway's oldest sailing ship, 110 years old this year. It's called Statsraad Lehmkuhl.

Here's a photo from their website:

555804e548170d9ebde02fe77720569c178f6050-1800x1225.jpg

Last edited:
The square sails have to be packed up and rolled up on top of the yards. There's just a wire to stand on, so it's hard work, and it's tricky for someone who is not used to it. But the experience was amazing, and the crew is very professional and helpful.

Messenger_creation_d40ab27c-0481-4aac-a4df-10ecc23dfa7d.jpegMessenger_creation_e6cdf140-38d7-425d-a641-d176f3f3ff04.jpegMessenger_creation_c231761a-48e1-4740-a38d-7d844e691225.jpeg

Finally, after all the sails were in, we got to go up higher in the rigging. I was allowed to go out on the yardarm of the fore royal yard, which is about 130 feet above the deck. The view was incredible, but unfortunately we weren't allowed to bring a phone with us.

Messenger_creation_4a79c52b-43f2-4045-bd45-0d94f46bd664~2.jpeg

Finally, after all the sails were in, we got to go up higher in the rigging. I was allowed to go out on the yardarm of the fore royal yard, which is about 130 feet above the deck. The view was incredible, but unfortunately we weren't allowed to bring a phone with us.

View attachment 63785

You are shorter than I would have guessed…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! I watch this dude on YouTube rebuilding a ship. Tally Ho. Crazy what all goes into those old ships.

View attachment 63785
That's a long ways up, especially if you're bobbing on the water!

We were in 12ft seas in Alaska last year and it was cold.About everyone was inside so all the crew was running plastic puke bags to the ones that were sea sick.Smelled real good.

Can't imagine bobbing around like you were, or climbing the rigging without any type of protection. But I guess if that's the only way to get the job done then that's what you do.

I remember hitting some storms when I was in the Navy, 20 footers, like buckdeer1 said, lots of puking.

Wow, looks like a great trip! And you are Crazy Telemark!

Cool looking vessel Glad you enjoyed it. I love the water but not sails. Got talked into a day trip on an oyster schooner once and I thought it was worse than watching grass grow. We didn't have winds like had though, that may have made all the difference.

Sounds like a neat experience!

Cool looking vessel Glad you enjoyed it. I love the water but not sails. Got talked into a day trip on an oyster schooner once and I thought it was worse than watching grass grow. We didn't have winds like had though, that may have made all the difference.

I know what you mean. I've sailed on a few small fore-and-aft rigged vessels in the Caribbean, and it's dead boring after an hour or so if nothing is happening. Mercifully for us, we had conch ceviche and/or rum punch to make and consume, so two or three hours went by in a flash.

On Statsraad Lehmkuhl alcohol is strictly forbidden, so it's a huge bonus when the wind gets going. Suddenly there's a lot to do, even in the middle of the night. If the sails need to get set at 03:00, then that's when the sails get set. And if you have to go up on a yard to pack away a sail in the middle of the night, then that's what you do. On a ship that big there is almost always something to do. I would go on fire watch or fill the hot water thermoses just to have something to do while I was awake. I spent a lot of time with the navigation officers, as I found that part of the journey fascinating. The only things I found boring were steering the ship and MOB watch.

We were in 12ft seas in Alaska last year and it was cold.About everyone was inside so all the crew was running plastic puke bags to the ones that were sea sick.Smelled real good.

Funny thing about that, I've been on several boats where people got sick, including this one, and it's always people below deck. I keep telling people who feel ill to go up on deck and get some air and look at the horizon. The ones who listen to that advice invariably get over their sea sickness.

Can't imagine bobbing around like you were, or climbing the rigging without any type of protection.

We had safety harnesses. That's what I'm wearing in that photo with the rope.

Messenger_creation_d40ab27c-0481-4aac-a4df-10ecc23dfa7d.jpeg

I wish I could explain everything in English, but unfortunately I learned all the terms in Norwegian.

Basically, we would loosen the ropes that trim the sails (sheets?), and lower the yards, and then run up into the rigging and out on the yards to pack up the sails.

If we needed to set a sail, we did all that in reverse. There were other sails (stay sails) that were easier and only needed to be hauled with ropes on the deck.

You are shorter than I would have guessed…
emoji102.png
emoji23.png

I'm at least 6'2". But yeah, that ship makes anyone look and feel small.

Thanks for posting. What a cool experience.

I'm at least 6'2". But yeah, that ship makes anyone look and feel small.

I was kidding. You are WAY up there. Even tethered off I bet that makes your giblets tickle…