New York City?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
Anyone live in or around NYC? We have a big anniversary coming up and it's a bucket list trip for the wife. Would like to take her but have no clue about the place. Anyone with hints or tips? Anyone live close by that would let a couple of strangers stay with them a couple of nights?

Anyone live in or around NYC? We have a big anniversary coming up and it's a bucket list trip for the wife. Would like to take her but have no clue about the place. Anyone with hints or tips? Anyone live close by that would let a couple of strangers stay with them a couple of nights?
I've been once. It's much easier to park in NJ and ferry across. Then just take cabs to where you want to go. I've only been in and around Time Square and Broadway. It was a good time.

I've been several times. I always recommend Times Square, Top of the Rock, and Staten Island ferry to first timers. Otherwise, what kind of stuff are you into?

I've been once. It's much easier to park in NJ and ferry across. Then just take cabs to where you want to go. I've only been in and around Time Square and Broadway. It was a good time.
Great info on th NJ thing! Thanks!

I've been several times. I always recommend Times Square, Top of the Rock, and Staten Island ferry to first timers. Otherwise, what kind of stuff are you into?
I'm into guided fishing trips, good food, and avoiding crowds. The wife on the other hand would want to see the famous stuff that NYC is known for; Times Square and whatnot.

We stayed in NYC a few times when going to trade shows in NJ (when Atlantic City was still an attraction). We left my truck parked in a hotel ramp a few miles from Times Square and rode taxis and walked mostly. Did a trip to Island and saw some of Central Park and Times Square. We were scared to go down in the Subway or far into Central Park. Not sure we should have been as worried as we were.....but it just feels creepy being out of your element. I got a low trust level for things I have not experienced. Nice to see some sites.......but I was glad to get out of there.

We did do some driving in the city......and it was not terrible......but the cabs are easier. GPS today could help allot. We did not have much for mapping back then.

I am not close to NYC but have been a few times for work, I don't like big cities so I have only gone once with a group of friends to see the Hard Rock Cafe, Times Square etc. Definitely easier to ferry across from NJ and way easier to take a cab, the only exception is if you are on a motorcycle but even then it can get dicey with the way people drive so I wouldn't advise that if you are unfamiliar.

Stay on the main streets and STAY OUT OF ALLEYS and just keep walking past people selling crap on the streets. My experience was people selling crap on the street kept trying to get us to meet others for "the real merchandise" behind buildings, everything they sell openly is knockoff. Personally I would avoid subways and stick to taxi's and walking, if you get a good driver they are very helpful in what is good and what isn't.

I take the subway exclusively in NY. It's reliable and cheap. There are definitely a lot of weirdos on the trains and busses, but no one ever threatened me. I usually just ignore them and don't make eye contact. Most of the people on the subway are perfectly normal. I would stay away from the Bronx, and probably Bushwick these days.

New York means crowds, no matter what, especially in summer. And now the whole place stinks of marijuana. I don't know anything about fishing trips, but there is plenty of good food. You can eat in Midtown at a decent restaurant for surprisingly reasonable prices. Pizza or falafel only cost a few bucks if you want to save your budget for dinners. I have stayed in hotels and Air BnBs, and I think a hotel with a parking lot in New Jersey is a pretty good option. I usually fly there, but I did drive once when I was 19 or so, and we parked in a lot in NJ and took a ferry over, if I remember correctly.

My wife and I have been many many times for vacations. Love the city. DM me with any questions.

It’s dirtier than it was under Rudy, but you will be perfectly safe and have a great time.

What he says.

Look up Port Imperial in Weehawkin NJ. Ferry's run all day up to 11:00 PM for the last ride out of there. They also have free bus's that run a couple different loops to downtown that you can jump on or off. Avoid the scammers, just ignore them. And if anyone wants to give you a ride on thier bike with a cart tell them to piss off. In Russian would be best 😂

Its been a long time since I have been there, but a Yankees game is fun even if you arent a Yankees fan. We rode the subway pretty much the entire time we were there and I didnt feel threatened especially during normal daytime hours. People watching can be entertaining in itself.

My one big mistake, DO NOT LEAVE NYC and think you will return on a Sunday evening in a car. That is the worst traffic I have ever lived through. Complete standstill for at least a couple of hours. The sane people all try to leave for the weekend and then return when they have to.

Tons of great advice! I hesitated to even post but I'm glad I did. Thanks guys!

If we do go it'll be in December. So that might change suggestions...

Tons of great advice! I hesitated to even post but I'm glad I did. Thanks guys!

If we do go it'll be in December. So that might change suggestions...

I MUCH prefer to visit NY in December over any time in the summer. It's a great city for walking, so cold weather lends itself much better to that than sweltering summer days. The shorter days mean you get to see the city lit up in the dark, which is part of the charm, especially at Times Square. And the dark evenings and cold air are perfect excuses to pop into a bar or restaurant whenever you feel like it.

And of course it's far less crowded.

I go there too much for work and for me, if I never go there again it would be too soon. Walking around in NYC is disgusting….it smells like an open sewer inside a pot shop.

Riding the subway IS NOT SAFE. I DONT KNOW A SINGLE PERSON WHO TAKES IT AND HAS ANOTHER OPTION. if you do, just look at your toes and don’t talk to anyone.

For me personally, all the Uber liberal cities and states are off my vacation list permanently. I won’t spend a dime of my own money in any of them.

Was there last weekend for work, had a great time. Stayed right off of Times Square.

We used Uber for the stuff we couldn’t walk. Uber is super easy to use. I bet most of those hotels have a bellhop, and we were told if you look at the price of an Uber ride then go to the bellhop they will work the cabbies so you can compare prices.

We used Uber to ride from Times Square down to the 9/11 memorial. I think it was a half hour ride. About $40 each way. I’m told they just opened a new section. I believe it’s referred to as “relics” from that day. I don’t know how to describe it other than to say it was really emotional.

There is a dive bar right off Times Square called Jimmies. A draft beer is $3. The owner (died of Covid we were told) was a boxing fan and its “decorated” with a bunch of boxing pics and memorabilia strewn on the walls. We had a beer or two there and people of all types just kinda filtered through having a drink or two. Kind of a nice find.