Pre-Emergents and Invasives

Garrett S

5 year old buck +
For those of you who don’t know me; My name is Garrett and I am trying to reform a property in Ohio that could be the centerfold of smut mag on invasive species plants.

For the sake of this discussion we can reference the likes of Bush Honeysuckle, privet , multi flora rose and autumn olive (maybe spice and burning bush as well).

I have a couple areas to be cleared. Solid BH canopy with little undergrowth. Due to Some some uneven ground, buried rocks and metal debris a dozer will be the elected option to the forestry mulcher.

The question is; Has anyone found a pre-emergent herbicide to be effective against such species returning?

Thought being, doze, spray, spot spray and cereal grains for cover and organic matter after the PE herb ran its course. Spot foliar and/or basal bark spray this fall and next spring as needed. 2.5-3 ac worth. These darn things have been running my budget, timeline and direction with this place.

Other options along shot options are pay for folks to do it by hand (which I really don’t have the money and don’t live close so self
Perform is a no go) or aerial spray this fall if it can be done there.

Anyone who responds to this thread will get an autographed copy of Chit Not To Buy by Yours Truly when published.

For those of you who don’t know me; My name is Garrett and I am trying to reform a property in Ohio that could be the centerfold of smut mag on invasive species plants.

For the sake of this discussion we can reference the likes of Bush Honeysuckle, privet , multi flora rose and autumn olive (maybe spice and burning bush as well).

I have a couple areas to be cleared. Solid BH canopy with little undergrowth. Due to Some some uneven ground, buried rocks and metal debris a dozer will be the elected option to the forestry mulcher.

The question is; Has anyone found a pre-emergent herbicide to be effective against such species returning?

Thought being, doze, spray, spot spray and cereal grains for cover and organic matter after the PE herb ran its course. Spot foliar and/or basal bark spray this fall and next spring as needed. 2.5-3 ac worth. These darn things have been running my budget, timeline and direction with this place.

Other options along shot options are pay for folks to do it by hand (which I really don’t have the money and don’t live close so self
Perform is a no go) or aerial spray this fall if it can be done there.

Anyone who responds to this thread will get an autographed copy of Chit Not To Buy by Yours Truly when published.
Imazapyr. Has a long soil residual and will smoke all the things you say. Can grow grasses for a year then plant what you want.

Read on site prep for pine plantings. Lots of good stuff.

I’ve thought long and hard about getting an aerial application on my select cut woods that are full of stilt grass and multiflora. Unfortunately thinking long and hard about it is as far as it progressed. I really thought about it this weekend as I sprayed 24 gallons of crossbow, 4 gallons at a time, carrying my weight in ticks trying to get rid of multiflora.

Will keep you posted if/when I get a quote back from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve thought long and hard about getting an aerial application on my select cut woods that are full of stilt grass and multiflora. Unfortunately thinking long and hard about it is as far as it progressed. I really thought about it this weekend as I sprayed 24 gallons of crossbow, 4 gallons at a time, carrying my weight in ticks trying to get rid of multiflora.
I’m having some helicopter spraying this summer. I’ll post some pics and videos.

I’m having some helicopter spraying this summer. I’ll post some pics and videos.

Do you have areas (plots, etc) that need to be protected? Big area ? How was the cost?

Do you have areas (plots, etc) that need to be protected? Big area ? How was the cost?

Yes. They use gps so you map exactly where is to be sprayed (the company does with you).

30/acre for 5gallon and 35/acre for 10 gallons.

Plus herbicide.

I’ve watched it before. Cool stuff. They bring a big water truck they mix chemicals. The copter lands on top of truck. Refilling takes 5 minutes. Spraying 10 acres takes 5. Minutes. So 60acres/hour. Very efficient.

I had a backpack crew price and would be 50/acre.

The helicopter method is getting more popular in my neck of the woods. @Garrett S - At least you don't (hopefully) have reed canary grass to deal with, absolute nightmare in bottom ground.

The helicopter method is getting more popular in my neck of the woods. @Garrett S - At least you don't (hopefully) have reed canary grass to deal with, absolute nightmare in bottom ground.

It’s the only thing I don’t have. LMK if you want an invasive species seed swap by mail. Lol

Curious on any hot tips on what you've done to manage RCG.

I nuked a former primarily RCG hay field 3 or 4 times through spring/summer last year and planted heavy Rye/clover around 9/20 and most of it seems to be doing well. Some of the wet fringes of the field are still growing up in RCG so I'll nuke them this spring again. Thinking I might spray then plant something like Jap millet and Alsike clover in those wetter margin areas as competition later this spring to keep RCG from creepin back in.

I've got a feeling its going to take at least one spraying a year and keeping a stiff crop of rye going every fall/spring to win.

I’m thinking I may try some for bedding/diversity pockets in between some cuts and stump treatments… worried about the darn BH berries.

if you do your dozer work in the winter months, you may not have as many invasive s come back , and may get a better return on native forbs