New York City?

Nope, but we were just up there trying to watch some of it. This son is 18.

Queens can be an hour on the subway. Wierd stuff happens as you see on TV, but not that common. Where in Queens?

going to the staue of liberty? or want to see it from the water. Lower wall st, visit the battery. could even rent bikes on the west side to see stuff by the hudson river.

Scariest stuff I dealt with in NYC is 2000psi 1000 deg steam from a 50 year old power plant.

We are around 65th and Queens boulevard. Going to Mets game tonight, maybe taking the train from here... Not sure yet.

The 7 train runs under Roosevelt Ave there. You can use it to go to Citi Field, or go the other way and take the yellow or green line to the south end of Manhattan and get on the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. If you run through the terminal on the Staten Island side, you should be able to get the ferry back without having to wait there for the next one. From the ferry terminal on Manhattan it's about a 15 minute walk to the WTC memorial.

Went to the Mets game last night. Took the 7 train to and from. It was actually quite nice. Easy there , a little rough figuring it out on the way out,opposite side trains, different access points,easy to do for a pro, for 2 rookies it took a bit but we figured it out . It was nice. This morning we went to the statue of liberty and ground zero. Ground zero is quite the sight, hard to control emotions when reading the thousands of names inscribed around the pools. Really a beautiful way to memorialize the fallen. Took the opportunity to shake the hands of the officers patrolling the site, and thank them for what they do. Should do that more.
After that off to Coney island. Had lunch at a Cajun seafood joint and roamed around. It's neat, a dump but it's pretty neat to see. Oceanfront boardwalk and pier were cool also.
Drove ourselves everywhere. Was planning on returning the rental car and ubering it but the price from queens to the statue of liberty was $167 and change one way. Not a horrible drive. The drive to the airport though? That's another story!

Check out the tour bus passes,you can get them and stay at those places as long as you like as long as you get on the last bus of day.

All you country boys survive the walk in the jungle?

I used to say the real zoo is outside of the bronx zoo.

It's one of them places that a bunch of country boys go in and enforce the rules.Usually i thought they had pretty good control of Times Square as theres is a big police presence.They did say you go one block and it can be a real bad place to be day or night.If the 911 memorial wasn't there I wouldn't even think about going back but I would like to see the new things since I was there.The horseman memorial was built since and it looks neat and we are friends with family of one of the leaders of that group

No interest in going to NYC again. Nadda....Zip.....point Zero. Keep it.

EDIT: I suppose I could say the same about many other big cities. No time for them anymore.

I will say this, having just been in the city a couple weeks ago. We met some of the nicest people there. One guy actually went 2 or 3 stops past his on the train to make sure we got where we needed to go.
I'm not a city guy at all, but I would go back to see more.

We took our kids (9 & 11) there for spring break in March. I've been there before a few times. We had a great time, the kids loved it. We did all the things. Times Square, Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island, Top of the Rock, Hudson Yards, World Trade Center Memorial, Central Park, Museum of Natural History, China Town - pretty much all the things. Great food (Joe's Pizza is a must) all over. We used the subway and uber to get around and didn't have any issues at all. Sure it's a big city and you should be aware of your surroundings at all times and take care of your belongings, but I never felt not safe. We stayed at the Hilton right by Radio City Music Hall, perfect location.

I've told the wife that I had money saved up and wanted to go. Then gave her a print out of this thread with your guys's advice. She's super excited. I told her to do the planning, that I don't care to make those decisions. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again everyone, this has been very helpful!

Well, we spent a week in NY and I absolutely loved it. I'm a eater so finding fun food everywhere was fun. The wife was awestruck by the size of things. It's huge, buildings are huge, decorations are huge... it's just an amazingly grand place. I figured it would be cold and grumpy. Turned out to be cold and happy. It's weird to say, but everyone had the Christmas spirit.

Saw a Broadway show. I'm not a theater guy but it was fun! (Maybe I am a theater guy?)

Screenshot_20231226_150334_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231226_150459_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231226_150607_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231226_150808_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231226_150235_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231226_150524_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231226_150710_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231226_150914_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231226_150957_Gallery.jpg

This was weird. The mayor had some sort of rally going on. He was yelling, rappers were rapping, people were fired up. It was theatrical and weird politics in my opinion.
Screenshot_20231226_150937_Gallery.jpg

Every once in a while a country boy needs to venture out of his safe place! LOL If nothing else just to see how the rest of world "survives". Glad you guys had a good trip.

Did most of my running in Central Park. Our hotel was only a couple of blocks away so that was super easy. Plus we were very close to Radio City, Rockefeller Plaza, and Times Square. According to the wife's fitbit we were walking 25,000 steps a day.
Screenshot_20231224_093126_MapMyRun.jpg

Screenshot_20231224_121709_Gallery.jpg

We did take the subway some. No big deal once you figured it out. Here's the wife taking a phone call from out insurance agent informing us our car had been broken into while in storage in KC. It may be totalled but we don't know yet.
Screenshot_20231226_152142_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231226_151054_Gallery.jpg
Luckily RentaCar is open until midnight on Christmas eve and we were able to get a truck for the 3.5hr drive home so we could be with family Christmas morning. Was home by 4am Christmas morning but the wife's sore throat and my cough wad gotten kind of bad by the time we rolled into the driveway. First thing morning covid test showed positive for both of us... so we Christmas'd through FaceTime.

Quite the journey and a blast all the way around! Thank you guys for all the advice! I've gotten huge brownie points from the wife! She says it was the best trip she could have imagined! (Even told me I should go buy a brush hog and tiller for the skidsteer).
Screenshot_20231226_152102_Gallery.jpg

I'm so glad you both had a good time there! I've always liked visiting New York. I'd hate to live there, but it has so much to offer to tourists. Congrats on a successful trip, and let us know if you need more travel advice. Sorry to hear about your truck. I hope the insurance company makes it right.

I'm so glad you both had a good time there! I've always liked visiting New York. I'd hate to live there, but it has so much to offer to tourists. Congrats on a successful trip, and let us know if you need more travel advice. Sorry to hear about your truck. I hope the insurance company makes it right.
Your guy's advice was awesome! I'd have to be rich to enjoy living there. I can grind for a living but it needs to be rural, don't think I could handle grinding out a living in the big city.

It's the wife's car that was broken into. Just paid it off about a month ago. Typically try to drive a car 5yrs after payments end. Dealership put a new engine in it about 10k miles ago (for free). We were set! She'll bluebook at around $12k so if they total it we'll end up spending quite a bit to replace it. Even if so we can't complain, we've been lucky with cars.

Green light for the skid steer flail mower!