New York City?

I echo the Christmas timeframe. It’s pretty cool. I did a three day tour a couple years back and it was worth it but I’m good now, box checked. It is truly sensory overload, sights, sounds and smells. We actually saw jersey boys on Broadway against every fiber of my being…it ended up being amazing! Plus I think the cold weather keeps the freaks at bay some. Fair weather freaks

I'm the opposite. I've got no love for NYC, been there three times..meh.

Now Boston...absolutely love it! Been there twice. I thought it was going to be like NYC, it was nothing like I expected. It is great, can just about walk everywhere downtown and super easy and inexpensive to get an Uber. Lots of history, great places to eat, fantastic bars to party at. I would go there a couple times a year, my favorite big city.

We went a few years ago and riding the different buses was the smartest thing we did as we could see whatever we wanted and get a ride back to starting point.The motel was nice and there was even a cafe that served a regular breakfast.I agree the 911 tour was by far the best and they have added several things since like the horsemen memorial.This will take most of a day.We also did a broadway show and central park.

We had a daughter and son-in-law in the rapidly developing flatbush area of Brooklyn. As electrical and computer engineers, they joined a start-up in CA and now live in LA. Point is, we visited NYC quite a bit and enjoyed lots of things including most that have been mentioned here. However, one place I would be sure to visit is the 911 Memorial museum; it is the only place I have ever been where I was sad and very angry at the same time. There are several newer up-scale, smaller Italian restaurants in Brooklyn... but a famous old restaurant in Manhattan is Carmine's (close to theater district). Haven't been there for 4-5 years, but it used to be family style and good food. Any cop in thr Times Square area can direct you to Carmin's in a heartbeat; it's one they all recommend.

Last edited:
We had a daughter and son-in-law in the rapidly developing flatbush area of Brooklyn. As electrical and computer engineers, they joined a start-up in CA and now live in LA. Point is, we visited NYC quite a bit and enjoyed lots of things including most that have been mentioned here. However, one place I would be sure to visit is the 911 Memorial museum; it is the only place I have ever been where I was sad and very angry at the same time. There are several newer up-scale, smaller Italian restaurants in Brooklyn... but a famous old restaurant in Manhattan is Carmine's (close to theater district). Haven't been there for 4-5 years, but it used to be family style and good food. Any cop in thr Times Square area can direct you to Carmin's in a heartbeat; it's one they all recommend.

Best fried calamari I’ve ever had. But a reservation is a must prior to broadway show times.

Dang, you guys actually have this guy who hates cities kind of excited to go. I'm taking note so keep it coming!
Thanks again!

Dang, you guys actually have this guy who hates cities kind of excited to go. I'm taking note so keep it coming!
Thanks again!
There are fantastic food options. I had no desire to go there until I went, now I can't wait to go back and see more.

Was there once. If you like to eat & try new foods - NYC is loaded with variety. Italian food galore, real Jewish deli's, Irish pubs, Asian food of all sorts (Chinese, Thai, Viet Nam-ese, Japanese, etc.) and BAKERIES all over the place from various nationalities. Pig out while you're there!! You'll be sorry if you don't.

Some of the advice from others (above) is well-founded. If you look around in wonder as if you're in wonderland - natives will notice and you'll be hit with ALL KINDS of offers and unwanted solicitations. Eye contact for more than a brief instant is like flashing a neon sign "I'm new here - first-timer in the city." If people come at you to sell you something, join something, take a "free pamphlet" ......... ignore them. Start talking to them ........ and you'll have a shadow for some time. I'm referring to the hucksters here - gimmick / scam people trying to get you to part with some money. NOT ALL NYC folks are this way - lots of friendly people there, just like anywhere else.

Kinda hazy leaving Newark yesterday.20230617_200957.jpg

My son and I will be in New York in July, flying there and driving back going to Cooperstown and maybe down to Philly for a phills ,brewers game.He wants to see the city, whatever we can see in 1 or 2 days. Great tips on here thank you!

The cab drivers said to never eat at the street venders and they are a good source of info.Another place to check out is the chapel that all the ressponders went to while working at the towers.There is also a building that was new and had this super fast elevator and glass all around the top.Behind the chapel was a grave yard and it's right by where the towers were.Strange thing was I walked outside and felt something on my arm and it was a damn tick.I am always getting teased because there are so many ticks at my farm.I can't even go to NYC without spraying.There were times in Times square that you may feel alittle uneasy and they told us to not go 1 block off the main route as it's a different world.We pretty well stayed in Manhattan.Just so you feel better they told us something like a million people lived there and during the day there were 5 times that.

Went to college in the bronx at SUNY maritime college in the bronx 2004 and 5. Worked power plants in NYC in Queens, Long Island, and the Bronx until 2010, then moved to the catskills.

Natural Sciene Museum, museum of modern art, gugenheim museum, times squares usually have some interesting mueseum things. Like the human body, pompei, ancient greece stuff. There's a ticket center in times square that has that info and some shows. Like 60's music but not broadway shows so much, jersey boys and the temptations has one too, aint too proud to beg I think it is.

Take the 5 train I think to Flushing. Great little oriental area. Very safe, great food. Hells kitchen area has alot of resturant competiton. kats and bens kosher delicatessen near penn station. Queens park where the old worlds fair of 64 or 65 was in. Queens has a science museum and zoo. Central park has a nice little zoo. Statue of liberty. The NYC Battery area has a nice little native american museum. Rockefeller center.

Im sure I mispelled most of this.

Lots of ways to see the city in the water, likely a it better in the evening with the city lights. Manhattan, Adirondack II, and the Lexington are ships I worked on before I went to college. I did woodwork on the lexington. Beautfil ship. South Street Seaport sn't far from chiantwon, little italy, and hells kitchen area.

Always would recommend visitng fort schuyler. A bit out of the way from anything else though.

Don't be shy about street food. Most near large office buildings are pretty good. Never got sick. Love the roasted almonds and peanuts.

Walking NYC any time of the day over 90% is way safer than driving an ATV in the woods.......

Good walking shoes is a must.

MAybe not the best or most interesting, but I usually went to 14th st station area to do shopping and grab a bite. Get a feel for the average joe in NYC is up to.

Do your homework what you want to eat.

Wear your backpacks backwards and wear a money belt and keep important stuff where it can't be stolen.I can say that I saw things in times square that if they happened on the street in Kansas you would either be calling 911 or pulling your concealed carry and I'm not just talking about the 50% of women that were wearing yoga pants that shouldn't have been

Hey, good luck with the trip.

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpeg
    IMG_0558.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 22
Hey, good luck with the trip.
Lol!

So buckdeer1... you're saying 50% of the women there should and do wear yoga pants?!?

Story is I was standing on the sidewalk people watching while wife and daughters were in Macys.When they came out I told them I had solved something ,that half the women in NYC wear yoga pants and half of them shouldn't.It looks so funny having dog poop trash cans because people have to walk their dogs and they go on the sidewalk. Too bad no one cleans up after the homeless people sleeping on sidewalks.Oh wear sunglasses it will save alot of pain from wife hitting you when one of the naked women walk down the sidewalk , all they are wearing is paint.

We are doing a short visit Friday night. We are leaving on a cruise Saturday from NJ. My girls(8 and 11) haven’t been to NYC yet. I booked a hotel Friday night on the waterfront in Jersey City. PATH train is right by the hotel so easy to get into Manhattan. Walk around the trade center, supper, maybe a subway ride and then train back to the hotel.

I did know a couple Swedish engineers who would visit NYC on every business trip to the US. They liked going to jazz clubs and staying out late. Each had a story about being mugged.

Son and I are in Cooperstown right now. Coming into the city tomorrow afternoon. Staying in Queens. Any tips on best way to get to the statue and ground zero from there? I checked Uber ,1 way $160 ,way to rich for this guy!

Son and I are in Cooperstown right now. Coming into the city tomorrow afternoon. Staying in Queens. Any tips on best way to get to the statue and ground zero from there? I checked Uber ,1 way $160 ,way to rich for this guy!
Is your son a 12 year old playing at the Cooperstown youth baseball tournament by any chance?