Russet variety?

roth2000

5 year old buck +
I was planning on putting in a russeting variety of apple in my home orchard and was hoping for some suggestions. For some reason I just can't shake the idea of adding one to the orchard. Are there any really cold hardy varieties that would still ripen before frost or am I just chasing a lost cause? I live in zone 4a/3b. I appreciate any advice.

check out Hudson golden gem

My favorite is a chestnut crab for a russeted apple. Not sure how well they do north of zone 4 though.

Hey apple guys - I had asked on another forum about russet-type apples. Are they any good for growing for deer? From what I read, they seem to ripen late and are hard ( as opposed to softer apples ), and hang on late. Are they " no-fuss " types or are they in need of pampering? From the pix I've seen of them, they look like some of those old, weather-beaten sentinels you find in an old tree-row or overgrown orchard. What's the scoop on them ?

Here's an interesting russet.
http://bighorsecreekfarm.com/keener-seedling/
and from Century Farm in NC.
Keener Seedling (latest ripening of all my apples..... I have picked at least a few apples from the tree consistantly during the first week of December..... firm, sweet, and dry. )
It's a southern apple so don't know just how hardy it is, but I'm going to give it a try here in Pa. It's also known as Rusty Coat. When I was a kid my grandmother called the little hard russet apples that grew on the old trees on their farm Rusty Coats.

I have included 3 Golden Russet in next year's order. Hoping to develop a combo orchard...a little for me, a little for the deer, and a little for cider...;)

My favorite is a chestnut crab for a russeted apple. Not sure how well they do north of zone 4 though.
I gave my uncle a chestnut crab about 20 years ago and it still does well. that is up in zone 172.

What defines a russet apple?