2020 scion exchange

KwebChestnut

Yearling... With promise
Hey this is my first post my name is Kweb. I have an apple orchard in northern Minnesota Zone 3B last year it got down to minus 48 below zero and killed many of my apple trees some of them are Zone 2 and 3 trees. I'm looking for Norkent apple scion. Also any other apples that would do good in the extreme cold I have several varieties to trade let me know if you're interested. Also let me know the best apples that survive the coldest Temps. Going forward I am only using Siberian root stock those seem to be the survivors for me. B118 and Antovaka had lots of winter damage and winter kill. I attached a pic of my 5 year goodland or what's left of it. Breaks my heart to see it die back to nothing.

Attachments

• 20180615_191204.jpg
    20180615_191204.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 14
Welcome KwebChestnut. We live in a very cold place as well but minus 45 is like a different planet. We see minus 35 degrees some years but very few and so far that is as cold as it gets. With the kind of cold you are talking about maybe there are certain places on your property that you get less wind than others. Just thinking a minus 45 and then add a wind of say twenty to sixty miles per hour when the cold front comes in, it Is surprising you are able to grow any apple trees at all.

Welcome KwebChestnut. We live in a very cold place as well but minus 45 is like a different planet. We see minus 35 degrees some years but very few and so far that is as cold as it gets. With the kind of cold you are talking about maybe there are certain places on your property that you get less wind than others. Just thinking a minus 45 and then add a wind of say twenty to sixty miles per hour when the cold front comes in, it Is surprising you are able to grow any apple trees at all.
Yes you are correct there are Parts on the property where the trees grow really well and there are Parts on the property where they don't grow at all To open. They definitely need some protection. I had a Honeycrisp survive that 48 below temp. That was on Siberian rootstock. We get a lot of snow so the roots are protected pretty well up there. Came across an article a few years ago on the web Siberian rootstock using the lateral branches crafting on softer varieties so I've been trying that.