Rootstock ?

Bill

Administrator
Just looked at the forum Sandbur posted and I think it pushed me over the edge. I'm not wanting to go nuts but I'd like to try a few grafts.

I've got an apple tree right next to the house in MO. No clue what it is but it is loaded with apples every year and they drop from October to mid November. It's old and getting ragged looking. I think it's time to make a few children.

No clue on rootstock. Any suggestions for something that would be good in northern MO?

Is it ok to start them in the winter in the basement with grow lights?

I'm clueless so sorry for the simple questions.

First, youtube is your friend when it comes to grafting.

Second, Can you get good scionwood from the tree? You want this year's growth to graft with and preferably pencil diameter. It might be better to prune the tree this winter to make it grow some new wood that will be better to graft with next year.

Assuming you want a larger tree, order some B118 or M111 or M106 rootstocks from various places. If you want smaller dwarf trees, there are quite a few rootstocks to choose from.

If you have wood to graft with: Order rootstock. Cut your scionwood in a couple months. Store scions in fridge until you get the roostock. When rootstock comes, whip & tongue or cleft graft . Let that rest /heal in a cool spot until after the last frost. Plant outside where you want the tree, weed control and cage as needed. Remove grafting tape by end of July. If you want to grow in a pot for year, you could do that too.

If you don't have good wood to graft with, you could prune the tree to encourage new growth, order and plant some rootstock. By august, there should be good growth on the tree that could be used to T-bud graft onto the rootstocks.

I'll have to look closer at it when I get back. I cut it back last year where it was growing into the roof and gutter in several places. I bet that put some new growth on but I never looked to be sure.

Thanks for the root suggestions, yes I do want a tall tree otherwise the deer won't ever let it grow.

Good advice from Chickenlittle above. There are good grafting videos on Youtube. I just typed - grafting apple trees - into the search bar and several video choices popped up. I watched them ALL to get a good sense of how to do it. If you have heavy, clay soil that doesn't drain well - MM-111 is the best rootstock. I got that info from the head of Penn State's fruit tree program. It'll grow to about 18 to 22 ft. tall at maturity. B-118 or Antonovka rootstocks are good all-purpose rootstocks for most soils. B-118 will get the same size as MM-111, and Antonovka will grow a full-size tree from 24 to 30 ft. when mature.

I have all 3 types of rootstocks with trees grafted to them here at camp ( in northern Pa. ) and they are all doing real well. Good luck with your grafting from your " old " tree.

If you REALLY want to have some fun, grow some seedlings from it, and then graft onto those!

I have trees growing on all three, B-118, MM-111 and antonovka. All growing fine, but I get a lot of suckers on the MM-111 rootstocks.

NY Terrence - I haven't seen that problem crop up on mine - suckers on the MM-111.

See in latest Wallace Woodstock Nursery flyer they are going to start offering root stocks. P2, EMLA 7, and B118. Don't know if prices are fair or not but 5-10@$3.95, 11-25@$3.50 and 26-50@$3.25

Thanks for the help guys.

I need to check my scion availability but I'm planning on trying something if I have first year wood.

See in latest Wallace Woodstock Nursery flyer they are going to start offering root stocks. P2, EMLA 7, and B118. Don't know if prices are fair or not but 5-10@$3.95, 11-25@$3.50 and 26-50@$3.25
That's a fair price for rootstocks and you can buy small quantities. I think they are similar to Cummins prices

I bought 10 rootstocks from burnt ridge last yr for my first attempt at grafting and was happy with them. The Antonovka were huge! My 10 grafts did well till my uncle picked several of them up by the graft :mad:
Only 2 of the 10 took. But bright side is I have 8 rootstocks to play with this yr

Gentlemen I hope to have extra rootstock available for purchase next spring. I did order a few for this spring but they are already spoken for. Tried to add some last week and my supplier is completely out and I am on a list in case they come up with a few more.

Gentlemen I hope to have extra rootstock available for purchase next spring. I did order a few for this spring but they are already spoken for. Tried to add some last week and my supplier is completely out and I am on a list in case they come up with a few more.

Tks Chris
Keep us in the loop Sir