Am I going to regret buying Skidsteer ?

I have no knowledge on wear and tear driving on the road but, the Amish around here use them for transportation all the time. I have a guy now that probably drives 2-3 miles a day between farms. Probably going to depend on how many trips you make. 10 miles will take quite a while but, if you’re only doing it once or twice a year it could be doable.

10 miles would be not only a no but a hell no! I don’t even want to drive my tractor 10 miles. Plus I imagine the wear on those tracks would be punishing. Tracks aren’t cheap either.
I feel your pain on moving it. I can only use mine on my main farm for that same reason.

Brand is splitting hairs. Find the one in the best condition with the most life left on the tracks and undercarriage.
Ok, appreciate that feedback. I do drive my tractor over to another farm, takes about 35 minutes but I don't enjoy it much for sure. It is about the same time it'd take for me to hook up the trailer, load and tie the tractor down, and drive the truck and trailer over there, then unload. Actually, it's probably faster to just drive the tractor over there after I just said that out loud....

Ok, appreciate that feedback. I do drive my tractor over to another farm, takes about 35 minutes but I don't enjoy it much for sure. It is about the same time it'd take for me to hook up the trailer, load and tie the tractor down, and drive the truck and trailer over there, then unload. Actually, it's probably faster to just drive the tractor over there after I just said that out loud....
Same. I have another farm about 15 minutes by car on country roads and it’s 45 on tractor. Just enough of a pain not to be motivated to take unless I absolutely need to. I’ve never considered taking the skid steer. I also have another farm about 5 minutes by truck and I won’t even take it to that one. But I’m sure you could if it was once in a blue moon type event.

10 miles would be not only a no but a hell no! I don’t even want to drive my tractor 10 miles. Plus I imagine the wear on those tracks would be punishing. Tracks aren’t cheap either.
I feel your pain on moving it. I can only use mine on my main farm for that same reason.

Brand is splitting hairs. Find the one in the best condition with the most life left on the tracks and undercarriage.
So, what am I looking for in the undercarriage? I recently learned the difference between a decent sprocket, and a worn out sprocket, if that tells you how little I know.....

So, what am I looking for in the undercarriage? I recently learned the difference between a decent sprocket, and a worn out sprocket, if that tells you how little I know.....
I’m not mechanic so do a little digging online but track condition and sprocket wear are going to be your low hanging fruit. Check hydraulics and things like quick attach coupler if it has one. Little things like do the zerks take grease. If they don’t then someone has been neglecting maintenance on those particular areas. I lucked into a high hour machine that was used by a solar field contractor we had family connections with. They had a massive maintenance facility and I had all new sprockets and filters and fluids so the hours didn’t bother me. I’d look for a well maintained, higher hour unit with your budget. Good luck, they are awesome! IMG_0755.jpeg

I've been talking with a number of folks over the past few days and I'm pretty convinced I need to be into a tracked machine for a skid loader. One part of the decision made.
The next decision I have to make is the size to buy. The last decision will be which mfg....
Case, Deere and Kubota are the likely ones based on dealerships in my area.
Thinking 75hp or larger, 2 speed. Whether I need hi-flow or not is unknown.
Does anyone road their CTL's 10 miles ? I don't have a 12k-14k trailer, only a 1/2 ton truck and 7k trailer, I know the trailer won't work for the weights of 75hp machines I've seen....
I'm hoping 1 purchase doiesn't require 2 more purchases (Truck and trailer)

A mini would be nice, but since I don't know much about them, and will have other jobs a CTL I think will perform better, I'd probably rent a mini if it comes to that It's what most guys I know do around me. They own a Skid loader, rent the mini's.

No way I’d do 10 miles on a ctl I have taken mine to the neighbors and it is 0.5 miles any further and I would trailer it honestly. I would think you could find someone with a truck and trailer local that would hall it occasionally even if you traded a little machine use. I haul ours with a 3/4 ton gasser and a 14k flatbed without issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tracks ride rough as heck on hard surfaces. I would not road a tracked machine. If you are set on driving it down the road, I'd go with tires.

No way I’d do 10 miles on a ctl I have taken mine to the neighbors and it is 0.5 miles any further and I would trailer it honestly. I would think you could find someone with a truck and trailer local that would hall it occasionally even if you traded a little machine use. I haul ours with a 3/4 ton gasser and a 14k flatbed without issue

That thought has crossed my mind. There is a guy nearby that will haul tractors for some distance for a price, so he is an option. Probably option #1. I have 10a I want to clear on a farm that's 10 miles away. I can leave it there a week or 2 as no one will bother it. Thx for the suggestions.

I have many hours in them. A wheeled machine is much better on smooth surfaces, a track machine floats over smaller bumps. But as others said, driving a tracked unit down a road, you are just asking for problems. Just a few miles on tar, and you will see the damage on the tracks.

$for$ you will get a bigger machine with tires. Tracks are nice, but they are also a lot more maintenance, and expensive to maintain.

Wheel units can get stuck easier in mud, but if you get a tracked unit stuck in thicker clay mud, and a track falls off, you just found yourself some good manual labor, unless you have a larger machine to dig, and pull the machine out. If you have ice, and a slanted driveway, a track steer will teach you how to butt pucker really quick.

Tracks are nice, but if you can do the job with wheels, it will cost a lot less.

Also wanted to add, I think you will need to add at least $10k to your budget to get a larger machine. Brands dont matter much, but just make sure you have a dealer close by, they will, and do break down. If you have to pay someone for repairs, the closer the better. If you have to run for parts, the closer the better. If all things are the same, I would take a Cat 10 out of 10 times.

I have many hours in them. A wheeled machine is much better on smooth surfaces, a track machine floats over smaller bumps. But as others said, driving a tracked unit down a road, you are just asking for problems. Just a few miles on tar, and you will see the damage on the tracks.

$for$ you will get a bigger machine with tires. Tracks are nice, but they are also a lot more maintenance, and expensive to maintain.

Wheel units can get stuck easier in mud, but if you get a tracked unit stuck in thicker clay mud, and a track falls off, you just found yourself some good manual labor, unless you have a larger machine to dig, and pull the machine out. If you have ice, and a slanted driveway, a track steer will teach you how to butt pucker really quick.

Tracks are nice, but if you can do the job with wheels, it will cost a lot less.

Also wanted to add, I think you will need to add at least $10k to your budget to get a larger machine. Brands dont matter much, but just make sure you have a dealer close by, they will, and do break down. If you have to pay someone for repairs, the closer the better. If you have to run for parts, the closer the better. If all things are the same, I would take a Cat 10 out of 10 times.
Great input and has me re-thinking my decision some. The points you bring up - maint, cost were the main reasons I initially leaned wheeled. Add in the travel aspect and I'm re-assessing it. Although as a mentioned, I could hire the travel need as it would be but 2x a year. I was talking to a buddy of mine who has hired quite a bit of skid loader work done on his farm to clear trees. He was convinced a tracked macined would suit me better based on his observations.

We had a Bobcat 863 hi-flo, 2sp at work. The state auctioned a similar one off a week ago for 15k and it had 2k hours, run flats, looked to be in ok shape. That's where I got my starting $ figure. I've seen a few Case 90xt's for 20-22k that looked to be in decent shape. I kinda feel a decent tracked machine will put me in the high 30's to 40k range. Then I'll need implements....

One of my concerns is that with more working parts on a tracked machine, and me not knowing what to look out for, I'm really asking for trouble....reminds me of when I bought my first couple tractors. They really didn't match up with the need and had some mechanical issues I didn't know enough to spot at the time.

Some may say renting a better option, but if I have to have it delivered and picked up each time, be dependant on availability, I probably just won't do it because of the hassle factor...
The other option is to just hire it done, but I enjoy doing the work myself when I want it done. Hiring has the same hassle factor as renting a lot of times. That and I've yet to find someone accurately estimate a job, whether it's SS work or dozing. Usually have to add 50% to estimate on half the jobs is my experience.

I don't own a skidsteer, but based on using a 4WD tractor, Kawi Mule, ATV, and my tracked ARGO, I would be concerned with wheels in the field versus tracks. I am sure wheels are fine for around the barn, but with as heavy as skid steers weigh, getting stuck, then trying to get out could be a real headache. Because a lot of what you use a skin steer for is forward pushing, I would think tracks would perform better.

I’d stay under 75HP. I think that’s the bubble where you’re gonna have to run DEF. Too many extra parts to throw codes and cost ya money.

I’m not sure how many acres you’ve got, but on my 40, I can change the world in a couple days with a skid steer.

I was skeptical when my partner (father) purchased one 4 years ago that we would get much use. However, it has proved to be a workhorse for us and we use it all the time. We have an older model tracked ASV that runs I think 50hp. Times we wish it were bigger. If you can swing it, I would get 75-100hp. We keep adding attachments, our most used attachments are: Grapple bucket, bush hog mower, tree puller, tree shear, bucket, hay forks, back hoe. We haul ours with a half-ton pickup pulling a trailer when we need to move it.

You won’t regret it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was skeptical when my partner (father) purchased one 4 years ago that we would get much use. However, it has proved to be a workhorse for us and we use it all the time. We have an older model tracked ASV that runs I think 50hp. Times we wish it were bigger. If you can swing it, I would get 75-100hp. We keep adding attachments, our most used attachments are: Grapple bucket, bush hog mower, tree puller, tree shear, bucket, hay forks, back hoe. We haul ours with a half-ton pickup pulling a trailer when we need to move it.

You won’t regret it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think I'll try to stay under the 75hp as suggestion by SD because of DEF and weight. I thought about a smaller unit (75hp or less) that I could pull without buying a new truck and trailer because I just bought my truck last September. As far as I need to go, I could likely buy a 75hp unit and new trailer and keep my truck. Although it'd be at it's max towing capacity, I don't need to trailer far and I can take the back roads.

I think I'll try to stay under the 75hp as suggestion by SD because of DEF and weight. I thought about a smaller unit (75hp or less) that I could pull without buying a new truck and trailer because I just bought my truck last September. As far as I need to go, I could likely buy a 75hp unit and new trailer and keep my truck. Although it'd be at it's max towing capacity, I don't need to trailer far and I can take the back roads.
We bought a Cat 242D a few years ago. It came with a Maxx-D tilt bed trailer to haul it. It is rated as a 73 HP machine. I pulled it a few times with my Tundra and I was not comfortable with it. To be honest, it was the braking more than the acceleration or ability to actually pull it. I upgraded to a Chevy 2500 shortly after and I am happy I did every time I have had to pull it. Just some food for thought.

We bought a Cat 242D a few years ago. It came with a Maxx-D tilt bed trailer to haul it. It is rated as a 73 HP machine. I pulled it a few times with my Tundra and I was not comfortable with it. To be honest, it was the braking more than the acceleration or ability to actually pull it. I upgraded to a Chevy 2500 shortly after and I am happy I did every time I have had to pull it. Just some food for thought.
This is an appropriate post for my situation. The truck I bought is a 2020 Tundra. It does have the tow package and integrated trailer brake controller. I'd buy the equalizer hitch and a trailer with brakes on all 4 tires. Is this the setup you had ? How far did you have to trailer and at what speeds?

This is an appropriate post for my situation. The truck I bought is a 2020 Tundra. It does have the tow package and integrated trailer brake controller. I'd buy the equalizer hitch and a trailer with brakes on all 4 tires. Is this the setup you had ? How far did you have to trailer and at what speeds?
My first trip was towing it home from Michigan to Kansas at highway speeds. Pulling it was not a problem. It was a bit of a dog to accelerate, but not a killer. I'm trying to think now if my truck had the tow package. It had a tow/haul button, but I think it had standard brakes and definitely did not have a trailer brake controller. You will probably be way better off since you have that. I talked to the local Cat dealer who also does rentals before I traveled to get it and they actually let me hook up to a similar model on a trailer and haul it up the road and back. After that I thought it was sufficient to get it home which turned out to be true. After hauling it a few times after I got home I became less comfortable with my brake situation. Our rout home consists of turning off of a state highway at the bottom of a long slope. Never did like it. New truck is no problem but like I said, your truck sounds better equipped. At least enough to try it for a while.

My first trip was towing it home from Michigan to Kansas at highway speeds. Pulling it was not a problem. It was a bit of a dog to accelerate, but not a killer. I'm trying to think now if my truck had the tow package. It had a tow/haul button, but I think it had standard brakes and definitely did not have a trailer brake controller. You will probably be way better off since you have that. I talked to the local Cat dealer who also does rentals before I traveled to get it and they actually let me hook up to a similar model on a trailer and haul it up the road and back. After that I thought it was sufficient to get it home which turned out to be true. After hauling it a few times after I got home I became less comfortable with my brake situation. Our rout home consists of turning off of a state highway at the bottom of a long slope. Never did like it. New truck is no problem but like I said, your truck sounds better equipped. At least enough to try it for a while.
Appreciate your feedback. My current trailer has brakes on all 4 hubs, but only 3500lb axles and the trailer weighs 1600lbs. It's also a tilt trailer. With a 7k lb machine, I'd be over the axle limits by 1600 lbs. Not sure that over weight wouldn't ruin the axles. Maybe someone on here has more knowledge regarding that concern? Dexter axles if that matters.

I've use the trailer with a controller when hauling other equipment and the brakes all work on the trailer. I don't really want to go smaller than 75hp ish range on a CTL tho to get the weight down. I'm not sure I'd be satisfied....

Our machine came with a SkidPro commercial duty brush cutter. It is almost too much for it. I definitely think a smaller machine would make any of that kind of equipment unpleasant to work with. I wish ours was tracked, but the price was right and we still get tons of use from ours. We load and unload hay, clean corrals, clear brush, move logs, fix creek crossings, build sheds, you name it. I am glad we have the tractors for plotting though. Couldn’t imagine doing any of that without them.

Was driving up to our farm last fall when I saw a guy who rolled his truck ... the trailer was still attached but his skid steer & Polaris side-by-side were 50-57 yards into the woods. Looked like he either took the slight turn too faat, or tried to brake at the turn and his trailer would not respond.

Alot of weight on a trailer so wide & low center of gravity, along with proper braking for that size load important.