Pear Seedling Rootstock Source?

PoorSand

5 year old buck +
I'm in the process of figuring out my grafting plan for next spring. I need non-dwarfing pear rootstock hardy to zone 5a. Has anyone found a source for pear seedling rootstock with a lot of roots on it? I'd order from Blue Hill again, but they are not sure yet whether they will have any available for next spring.

If you know of a good supplier, but don't want to disclose its name on here, please send me a private message. Thanks.

Keep in mind that seedling root stock for pears will more than likely mean you wont see fruit for SEVERAL years. That is why it is not generally an option when purchasing trees. You can try Willamette Valley Nursery in OR they could likely be sold out for next year already though.

I planted OHxF 97, 7/16" caliper from CopenHaven Farms this spring. I'll top work them once they have gotten big enough.

I bought from Cummins nursery. They have plenty in stock

I bought from Fedco. Lower percentage takes than apples (Mileage will vary, I'm a relative novice at grafting). Financially you might be better off buying plants. I was happy with the trees from century farms orchard. https://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/

Thank you, all of you who responded.

Just closing the loop... I placed my order for Bartlett seedling rootstock with Central Washington Nursery.

Update: The Bartlett seedling rootstock I ordered from Central Washington Nursery arrived today. I ordered 150 3/8" caliper rootstocks. They are 3/8" on the cut end. The bases are generally 1/2" to 3/4" caliper. They have more roots than I was anticipating. The cost of the trees, boxing, and shipping to Wisconsin came out to $2.24 per rootstock. I am pleased.

Last edited:
Didn’t see this thread when it was first posted.

I’ve always bought my pear rootstock from Cummins OH97.
My luck grafting pears is way lower than apples/crabs maybe 25%, don’t know why they seem to not take as well.

From my limited interactions with that nursery, it seemed to me like the owners/operators are always out hunting for something somewhere in some mountains somewhere with no cellphone reception, so don't expect a quick call back. They didn't even ask for any down payment on the order before shipping. They simply mailed me an invoice after shipping it.

Hopefully your Bartlett seedling pear experience goes better than mine I tried something like 50, bench grafted them , potted them out grew them at home, heeled them in for winter all looked great. Next spring they all appeared dead, and stayed that way. I see I have about 6 that have comeback from the root stocks after multiple year die backs. I havent had the guts to try them again... getting the itch. If I do try not 100% sure I would will go with Bartlett seedlings - may have been something I did but pretty much zero survival. and If I do them I will direct plant the rootstocks and wait a year or two or three and field graft - seems like people have better luck.

Keep us up on this planting - im assuming this these are going on your land up here in the NW. Would love to hear how they turn out, might encourage me to try again.

They’ll get planted in the Central Sands area of the state. Less than 1% organic matter in the soil. I planted some from Lawyer Nursery on Bartlett seeding in 2008 and they grew faster than Dolgo seedlings for me. I bench grafted and planted wild pear from Blue Hill a couple years ago in spots where even quack grass won’t grow. Most of those are doing well.