converting callary pear to something useful

j-bird

So now that the fruit trees are starting to bloom in my area, I think I have a handful of callary pears. Normally I would just cut them off - tree the stump with tordon and be done. BUT.... I am considering either trying to transplant and graft them or just graft them where they are. I don't have other pear trees around so my sources for grafting are limited...and the trees are already awake. Soooo....

#1 - can I "borrow" a cutting from a local source (some local big box stores have their fruit trees for sale now) if I find one and graft it now and have ANY chance of success?

#2 - IF I find a source, what varieties should I be looking for? These trees are not near my current mast orchards so I will need something that will pollenate itself.

#3 - am I better off just cutting them way back and trying to transplant and then graft come next spring?

They are worth saving and grafting to. I have had 100% success bark grafting to them. I have about 40 I have done so far. I think they are easier to graft then apples. I have also relocated quite a few to better locations and grafted to them the following year.

I'd let them live until next year and graft them in 2023, that way you would have the scion you want. I've had great luck grafting either asian and european pears to the callery pears. Getting ready to do some more in the next few weeks.

Most of the trees I’ve seen at the big box stores are pushing leaves and ideally the scions you collect are dormant with the rootstock waking up. If you don’t have access to dormant scion, I’d wait to graft until next year. You can move them to wherever you want their final spot to be this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done a bunch of Callery pears in Ohio. As mentioned, it's very easy to bark graft them, with a high rate of success. The only varieties that haven't lasted long-term are perry pears. Otherwise the are growing like gangbusters and put on 3-4 feet per year.

It's not to late to graft them, but it is probably too late to collect scions. If you are really lucky, you might find someone with dormant scions they haven't used. Try grafting groups on Facebook. I haven't bud grafted Callery pears, but I assume you could try it later in the summer.

I won't be in Ohio this summer, but next year I am planning a BIG Callery grafting project there. So far I only have European varieties, but I am looking to do some Asian pears next year.

Last edited:
It all comes down to your values. Do you want a quick hit or a long term investment? If you want the long term investment order some Pear rootstock and graft on those. It will take a little more work this year, but will produce a far better tree and require much less work in the long run. Most people who graft on invasive rootstock never realize until a few years later that the rootstock will continue to push enormous amounts of invasive growth for years to come that will require annual maintaince to prevent from furthering the invasive issue.

I have quite a few of what are most likely Keiffer pears scions. I have a very large very old 80+ years old out at the farm and I cut quite a few scion I’ll happily mail you some to try.

I have done 30 or so. Most will have fruit on them this year. The first growing season after grafting they do send up enormous amounts of suckers. Seems less if you leave one branch on the trunk. I have noticed the second season far less suckers. So far in year three I have cut off a few new shoots but not too bad. I’ll take pears in two years.