Root pruning

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
Every yr I grow trees in several types of pots (including RM18s'). Here are a couple of pics of tree roots grown in RM's compared to a system that allows the taproot to form.

04621967502c92933f0974bd6681fd2e.jpg

This nut produced two stems. Once uprooted we found it actually had two disctict root systems as well. The acorn produced twins...
960454a558c497469eae9b97a7057e17.jpg
c9b1b88a1373261c7cf052873155b61d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I had good success growing oaks in RM-18 Express pots as well:

DSC04026.jpgDSC04027.jpgDSC04028.jpg

I "hatched" some in styrofoam cups years ago and have also had some luck with plain plastic pots that my wife gets with her tomatoes and peppers. Nothing has given me roots like the RootMakers.

This is pretty typical. For folks new to this, keep in mind that root pruning containers require a system of containers. Catscratch shows a great picture of roots at 5 weeks from an 18, but trees stay in 18s for 12 to 16 weeks before transplant to the next size container. The root system is significantly larger at this point. Because the tap root is pruned at about 4", energy that would normally go into the tap root goes into both upstream branching and top growth. This is why they grow so much faster. Keep in mind that this accelerated growth requires that the root system can reach water and nutrients. Since they are in containers, you provide that. I've tried planting trees directly from 18s and without significant aftercare, most will die and those that survive won't flourish. The reason is that although it has a well developed root system, it is not deep and without supplemental water, in most areas the top several inches will completely dry out.

The next stage container I use is a 1 gal Rootbuildier II. When these are full of roots if I transplant them to the field, they do better. Most survive in my area and some thrive. I've found the best results with a second transplant into 3 gal RB2 containers. Once the root system fills a 3 gal RB2 it is large enough and deep enough for the tree to thrive in my area. If I were in an arid region, I would probably lean more toward direct seeding. Direct seeded trees generally will not grow as fast but the deep tap roots helps ensure access to water during times when the top few inches of soil completely dry out.

Thanks,

Jack

I am in my 3rd season using the rootmaker system that jack describes

In my experience,
1) transplantation to field of RM18s is uniformly fatal to seedlings without supplemental water
2) transplantation from RBIIs(of chestnuts) to east and north facing slopes enhances survival

I have 12 DCOs in 3 gal RBIIs(in their second season) to be transplanted this late fall while dormant

bill

The one I pictured was actually 14wks old. On average I see germination at week 2 (on Sawtooth's specifically) then 2-3 weeks later we get top-growth. In 18's I see steady upward growth for another 4-5 weeks after that, then height flatlines. The height seems to be depended on acorn size. The larger acorns usually have a steeper line and stall out at a greater height then smaller acorns.

I transfer to 1 gallon rootbuilders for the summer, then plant while dormant in the fall. I seldom water in the field anymore and have good survival rates. Trying this system with dolgo crabs for the first time this yr. I just planted the seed a couple of weeks ago so time will tell on how ready they are for planting this fall.

32cb7e0efbc62f3e3a7e3cb8c1f6ca8b.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got 2 burr oaks and 2 Mexican plums in 2 gallon superoots air pots, but didn’t step them up from something smaller. I noticed the tops don’t grow quite as fast when the starting container is too big...

How often do you guys hit your trees with fertilizer? I have given these some organic 6-12-6 about every other week.
I’m really amazed at how different the growth rates are between the trees, and the growth form. One of each species has branched out greatly, while the others are still more like whips.
c2d7c2b1579fa8202be4239e13da1d70.jpg

f0a95f674af0a154182545c78e6ba96d.jpg
62815c074f05c54b1df99b3ae4dc4825.jpg

aca9b098684dd7fe53d6e83facaf38fb.jpg

83950c99fa2781bd776bd79243f51fea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, the issue with starting them in larger pots is the 4" rule. Whitcomb wrote some papers that documents some studies years ago. They found that when you prune a root, most of the upstream branching occurs in the last 4" of the root behind the prune. So, when you start a nut in a large root pruning pot, they grow much slower. It is similar to direct seeding as much of the energy from the nut is used to develop that tap root. When it gets to the bottom of a properly designed air pruning pot, it hits the air and is pruned. Now, branching begins, but mostly in that last 4" of the tap root. So, much of the volume of the pot contains nothing but mix. Instead of energy from the nut going to increasing that early branching and accelerated top growth, it goes into that tap root. When you start them in 18s, they are pruned at about 4". The nut still has lots of energy to supply at that point. By the time the nut is pretty much exhausted as a source of energy, the root system has gone a long way toward filling the 18 and those many tiny root tips are very efficient at extracting nutrients. That is why when you use root pruning containers you need a system of containers if you want to maximize growth.

That doesn't mean you get no benefit from the way you are doing it. You still avoid the issue of circling or j-hooking roots. You method may actually work better in some more arid environments because while the tree has fewer tiny root tips for gathering nutrition, if you plant early (from one of these larger containers) the tiny root tips that is does have are deeper than if you tried to plant directly from an 18 or 1 gal RB2. This may work better in places where the top foot of soil dries out and no supplemental water is provided.

If you want to maximize growth, you need that early pruning stage.

As for fertilizer, I'm very careful with young seedlings. I typically use Osmocote+ which is a slow release. I sprinkle it on my 18s shortly after they emerge. This makes it available about the time the second flush of leaves begin. I then mix in a couple caps of Osmocote+ into the mix when I transplant. I typically transplant to 1 gal RB2s and then to 3 gal RB2s during the summer. Each time I transplant I'll add Osmocote+. For trees in their second season, I use regular fertilizer. I typically use 10-10-10 simply because I have it available from other projects. I don't actually apply it directly to the trees. I dissolve it in the tubs of water I used. During dry periods when rain water is precious, I like to dunk my RB2s in a tub of rain water rather than top watering them. It makes for a very efficient use of water. I build a draining table. It is a rack that I put the RB2 on after dunking it. Water that drains out is collected and reused for watering.

I also agree that some trees grow much faster than others. Chestnuts are very fast. I've had trees over 6' tall with 5/8" or more caliper after a single growing season. DCOs and pawpaws are extremely slow by comparison.

Thanks,

Jack

Yep, the issue with starting them in larger pots is the 4" rule. Whitcomb wrote some papers that documents some studies years ago. They found that when you prune a root, most of the upstream branching occurs in the last 4" of the root behind the prune. So, when you start a nut in a large root pruning pot, they grow much slower. It is similar to direct seeding as much of the energy from the nut is used to develop that tap root. When it gets to the bottom of a properly designed air pruning pot, it hits the air and is pruned. Now, branching begins, but mostly in that last 4" of the tap root. So, much of the volume of the pot contains nothing but mix. Instead of energy from the nut going to increasing that early branching and accelerated top growth, it goes into that tap root. When you start them in 18s, they are pruned at about 4". The nut still has lots of energy to supply at that point. By the time the nut is pretty much exhausted as a source of energy, the root system has gone a long way toward filling the 18 and those many tiny root tips are very efficient at extracting nutrients. That is why when you use root pruning containers you need a system of containers if you want to maximize growth.

That doesn't mean you get no benefit from the way you are doing it. You still avoid the issue of circling or j-hooking roots. You method may actually work better in some more arid environments because while the tree has fewer tiny root tips for gathering nutrition, if you plant early (from one of these larger containers) the tiny root tips that is does have are deeper than if you tried to plant directly from an 18 or 1 gal RB2. This may work better in places where the top foot of soil dries out and no supplemental water is provided.

If you want to maximize growth, you need that early pruning stage.

As for fertilizer, I'm very careful with young seedlings. I typically use Osmocote+ which is a slow release. I sprinkle it on my 18s shortly after they emerge. This makes it available about the time the second flush of leaves begin. I then mix in a couple caps of Osmocote+ into the mix when I transplant. I typically transplant to 1 gal RB2s and then to 3 gal RB2s during the summer. Each time I transplant I'll add Osmocote+. For trees in their second season, I use regular fertilizer. I typically use 10-10-10 simply because I have it available from other projects. I don't actually apply it directly to the trees. I dissolve it in the tubs of water I used. During dry periods when rain water is precious, I like to dunk my RB2s in a tub of rain water rather than top watering them. It makes for a very efficient use of water. I build a draining table. It is a rack that I put the RB2 on after dunking it. Water that drains out is collected and reused for watering.

I also agree that some trees grow much faster than others. Chestnuts are very fast. I've had trees over 6' tall with 5/8" or more caliper after a single growing season. DCOs and pawpaws are extremely slow by comparison.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for such a detailed write up! I was familiar with the 4” rule, but didn’t want the expense of (or hassle finding) the smaller cells for just 4 seedlings. I already had the air pots from a few years ago, so they were free to use. I had intended to have them all be plums, but only 2 out of the dozen or so pits I gathered sprouted. I had a mold issue from not getting enough of the flesh off of them before storing them in the fridge.

I hope to get a better germination rate on them next year, because the mother trees are in their final days. They were planted in the 40’s by my great grandmother and there are only a couple small branches each alive. I really wanted some descendants from the same trees for nostalgia’s sake.

I also flood and drain them. I have a large galvanized tub that is about 3/4” shorter than the pots and each tree gets a 5-10 minutes soak every 3 days. Every other week, I dilute the organic fertilizer to the recommended concentration for root soaks and do that “watering” in the mild fertilizer. What’s left gets poured on whichever plants in the garden could use it most.

You guys on here really are a treasure trove of information. Thanks for all y’all do.

Thanks for such a detailed write up! I was familiar with the 4” rule, but didn’t want the expense of (or hassle finding) the smaller cells for just 4 seedlings.

I've had just as good luck with "Jiffy pots" as I've had with RM18's at getting fibrous root systems.

Here is one I threw together with window screen. Cheap, easy, and every bit as effective at creating fibrous roots as anything else designed for it. I love my RM 18 trays but for a one-off or just a couple of plants it's not hard to make something that works.

6ddfe6988ec2476814b44475d7771306.jpg
6b9873df0b2fbc9954b78902104dbe5a.jpg

Here is one I threw together with window screen. Cheap, easy, and every bit as effective at creating fibrous roots as anything else designed for it. I love my RM 18 trays but for a one-off or just a couple of plants it's not hard to make something that works.

Cat,

I did something similar a few years back: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...ntainers-diy-transfered-from-qdma-forum.5542/ In terms of root pruning, they work just as well. However, I found watering to be much more critical. Because the container is ventilated on all sides, it dries out quickly. This means paying even closer attention to watering than with 18s.

The important thing is that first stage root pruning, and any container that provides it will work. I have not found anything as convenient and reuseable as the 18 express trays. My only experience with Jiffy pots is indirect. The AU Buck chestnuts I purchased from the Wildlife group were nut grafted and started in Jiffy pots. They were then transplanted into Roottrapper bags. They were still in the bags when delivered. The root systems on them looked every bit as good.

Thanks,

Jack

That’s an awesome idea.

Thanks for such a detailed write up! I was familiar with the 4” rule, but didn’t want the expense of (or hassle finding) the smaller cells for just 4 seedlings.

I've had just as good luck with "Jiffy pots" as I've had with RM18's at getting fibrous root systems.

Which type of Jiffy pot did you use? The one that is in the form of a pot, or the one that is the peat disk with mesh around it?

Just curious, as I was looking for something to start a few seeds in that I could possibly just transplant directly in the ground.

I've only used the square ones (pictured), not the circled or pellet shaped ones. My experience is that anything with a textured wall that the root tip can grow into will work to prune them. As Yoder said the 4in rule is important so I buy pots sized accordingly.

Yoder was also right about the window screen pots drying out easily. It's not a big deal for me with the "start" pot because I start them inside around Christmas. Once they are ready to take outside it's time to put them in 1 gallon pots anyway.

2d7a0bc5c8eb127795a343d14c50d236.jpg

Last edited:
I've only used the square ones (pictured), not the circled or pellet shaped ones. My experience is that anything with a textured wall that the root tip can grow into will work to prune them. As Yoder said the 4in rule is important so I buy pots sized accordingly.

Yoder was also right about the window screen pots drying out easily. It's not a big deal for me with the "start" pot because I start them inside around Christmas. Once they are ready to take outside it's time to put them in 1 gallon pots anyway.

2d7a0bc5c8eb127795a343d14c50d236.jpg

You absolutely right that it is easier to control water when they are inside under light. Having said that, the biggest problems I hear from new guys starting this are issues related to water (wrong kind, too frequent, not frequent enough...).

Thanks,

Jack