Pure stand clover vs mix

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have always planted a variety of clovers in a given plot to improve the chances of something doing well. Do you ever plant pure stands of one variety here and another their to see if the deer prefer a particular type?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have done that, but a lot of it gets down to timing, durability, and ease - at least at my place. I have planted all kinds of clover, but only now have durana with the exception of one plot of arrowleaf. Spring clovers get utilized very little at my place - everything in the woods is green. I need a clover that can semi withstand the heat and drought of southern summers - durana. I dont care how pretty it is in May - it has to be green in June, July, and August. A lot of my ground floods for several weeks at a time and the clover must withstand that - durana. Must be long lived - I have durana plots going on nine years old. I direct seed wheat into my clover plots with a Woods Seeder in early Oct. I set the disk to disturb about half the ground - and the durana actually seems rejuvenated after doing this. So, at least at my place - it isnt so much just what the deer will eat best - it is what works best for the deer, me, and my land conditions. Durana.

I have done that, but a lot of it gets down to timing, durability, and ease - at least at my place. I have planted all kinds of clover, but only now have durana with the exception of one plot of arrowleaf. Spring clovers get utilized very little at my place - everything in the woods is green. I need a clover that can semi withstand the heat and drought of southern summers - durana. I dont care how pretty it is in May - it has to be green in June, July, and August. A lot of my ground floods for several weeks at a time and the clover must withstand that - durana. Must be long lived - I have durana plots going on nine years old. I direct seed wheat into my clover plots with a Woods Seeder in early Oct. I set the disk to disturb about half the ground - and the durana actually seems rejuvenated after doing this. So, at least at my place - it isnt so much just what the deer will eat best - it is what works best for the deer, me, and my land conditions. Durana.

I've heard others rave about that variety as well, especially in terms of withstanding browse pressure.

I have 1/4 acre hidey hole on one of the farms I hunt and I used to replant every year. It's somewhat hard to get to so it became a pain to plant with annuals, so I frost seeded Ladino (White perennial) and now have little maintenance as the deer keep it trimmed given the small size. I might even forgo the grain this fall, we'll see..

My blend consists of one white, one red, and one chicory. Pretty simple.

You make a lot of good points that are applicable to me as well. I have some damp plots that could use Durana, and I too need something that is green and lush in summer more so than spring!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How cold hardy is Durana clover?

I mostly plant pure stands but I also plant mixes of clovers. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. For example, if you have a problematic weed that grows fairly tall, you can use a wicking bar on a field of Durana to deal with it. If you have a mix of taller and shorter clovers you can't. In my area, deer preference is a minor thing. They will eat what I plant. Different varieties of clover will peak at different times, so deer will naturally choose a clover that is peaking if you mix them. I've been playing with aberlasting recently. LA-S1 is a good low cost perennial clover. But Durana has been my long-standing go-to clover.

I like a variety of clovers to have some peaking at different times of the year. Much like what has been said previously. I like a white, red, and alfalfa mix. Different white clovers if you can find them. I am going with some berseem and durana in some weak spots in my Whitetail clover plot. Going to spot spray the grasses and mess the ground up a bit where the clovers are weak. I'm thinking some wheat may make it in there as well to help the clovers establish.