All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pure stand clover vs mix

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have always planted a variety of clovers in a given plot to improve the chances of something doing well. Do you ever plant pure stands of one variety here and another their to see if the deer prefer a particular type?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have done that, but a lot of it gets down to timing, durability, and ease - at least at my place. I have planted all kinds of clover, but only now have durana with the exception of one plot of arrowleaf. Spring clovers get utilized very little at my place - everything in the woods is green. I need a clover that can semi withstand the heat and drought of southern summers - durana. I dont care how pretty it is in May - it has to be green in June, July, and August. A lot of my ground floods for several weeks at a time and the clover must withstand that - durana. Must be long lived - I have durana plots going on nine years old. I direct seed wheat into my clover plots with a Woods Seeder in early Oct. I set the disk to disturb about half the ground - and the durana actually seems rejuvenated after doing this. So, at least at my place - it isnt so much just what the deer will eat best - it is what works best for the deer, me, and my land conditions. Durana.

I have done that, but a lot of it gets down to timing, durability, and ease - at least at my place. I have planted all kinds of clover, but only now have durana with the exception of one plot of arrowleaf. Spring clovers get utilized very little at my place - everything in the woods is green. I need a clover that can semi withstand the heat and drought of southern summers - durana. I dont care how pretty it is in May - it has to be green in June, July, and August. A lot of my ground floods for several weeks at a time and the clover must withstand that - durana. Must be long lived - I have durana plots going on nine years old. I direct seed wheat into my clover plots with a Woods Seeder in early Oct. I set the disk to disturb about half the ground - and the durana actually seems rejuvenated after doing this. So, at least at my place - it isnt so much just what the deer will eat best - it is what works best for the deer, me, and my land conditions. Durana.

I've heard others rave about that variety as well, especially in terms of withstanding browse pressure.

I have 1/4 acre hidey hole on one of the farms I hunt and I used to replant every year. It's somewhat hard to get to so it became a pain to plant with annuals, so I frost seeded Ladino (White perennial) and now have little maintenance as the deer keep it trimmed given the small size. I might even forgo the grain this fall, we'll see..

My blend consists of one white, one red, and one chicory. Pretty simple.

You make a lot of good points that are applicable to me as well. I have some damp plots that could use Durana, and I too need something that is green and lush in summer more so than spring!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How cold hardy is Durana clover?

I mostly plant pure stands but I also plant mixes of clovers. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. For example, if you have a problematic weed that grows fairly tall, you can use a wicking bar on a field of Durana to deal with it. If you have a mix of taller and shorter clovers you can't. In my area, deer preference is a minor thing. They will eat what I plant. Different varieties of clover will peak at different times, so deer will naturally choose a clover that is peaking if you mix them. I've been playing with aberlasting recently. LA-S1 is a good low cost perennial clover. But Durana has been my long-standing go-to clover.

I like a variety of clovers to have some peaking at different times of the year. Much like what has been said previously. I like a white, red, and alfalfa mix. Different white clovers if you can find them. I am going with some berseem and durana in some weak spots in my Whitetail clover plot. Going to spot spray the grasses and mess the ground up a bit where the clovers are weak. I'm thinking some wheat may make it in there as well to help the clovers establish.