Permanent Stand Pics

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have any pics of Permanent stands they would want to share? I plan on building one this summer for my kids to hunt out of. Would love to get some ideas of what people like/don't like. Really interested in seeing details/opinions of bases, windows, doors, interiors, ladders basically anything.

Bow - I'm cheap. It's a fact and I would just as soon build my own than buy one. That said I built the one below for only a couple hundred bucks and used some scraps laying around. The biggest thing I need to do is actually install windows. I haven't thus far and we still do OK. It's roughly 4 feet wide and 6 feet deep and right at 7 feet tall. Its 2 x 4 framed with plywood skin. Metal barn siding for a roof. Windows are guillotine style to allow for various opening heights. The base is a machine pallet and the tower is 2 levels of old scaffolding I had around sitting on concrete forms to support 4x4 posts for deck building. Ladder is 2x construction as well. I have 4 cables (one on each corner) with ground anchors to ensure it isn't going anywhere. I have some old carpet on the floor to reduce noise. I like the landing at the top to steady your self. It's modular construction - I put the entire thing up by myself. I paint the inside and window covers flat black to help hide shadows. This is hiding in plain sight. The deer get used to it pretty quickly. This one sits on a small point - and I am standing in a small foodplot when I took the pic. These are great for taking the kids or for being able to get out of the weather. I'm a pansy when it comes to the cold and even without windows my "little buddy" propane heater let me hunt all day long when I would have otherwise called it quits. I seal the joints up with expanding foam. I use the flag so I can see from the house - several hundred yards away - what the wind is doing at that particular location (using binos).

North shooting house.jpg

He was my first "budget stand" - this one I have like $50 in it. All the wood came from machine pallets that I tore apart and re-purposed. More barn siding and again the base is scaffolding. The only thing I purchased was the hinges and hardware for latches and the like. These windows hinge and swing out as you can see in the inset of the pic. Again this stand sits on a knoll over looking a plot - perennial plot and apples tress in the distance and an annual corn plot you can't see. This one isn't as high off the ground or as tall inside. We have killed a lot of deer out of this one. Again modular and set-up by myself - almost took it down by myself with the help of my FEL once! This one is nearly 100% made of 2x - it's HEAVY! The window in the main pic has busted hinges that I had to repair. Again wood ladder (2x) , landing and flag.

sw house.jpg

If these are NOT what you had in mind please say so. I commonly refer to these as tower blinds or shooting houses - you may have had something else in mind.

If these are NOT what you had in mind please say so. I commonly refer to these as tower blinds or shooting houses - you may have had something else in mind.

Yes absolutely what I am looking for guys, just looking for some things others have done. I have seen a lot of them from the roadside but never really up close. I have a good idea on the actual structure but haven't decided on things like windows and doors etc.. Has anyone done a trap door, coming up through the bottom? I was thinking that this way the ladder would be underneath and there would be no need for a landing on the outside. Thanks and keep them coming.

My fat butt barely fits thru the door with a platform with all the gear. At least if I need to shuffle some things around I am on a landing and not a ladder. I will be clear that we ONLY use ours for gun or crossbow - I just don't have the interior height to use a vertical bow. 4 x 6 is tight for 2 people, but it isn't bad - as long as nobody went to whitecastle the night before. We typically sit one in front of the other (like on a tandem bicycle) with the shooter up front. One person watches one way and the other person the other. Like I said works great for kids.

This is what ours looks like, built with 6"x10' treated fence post for corners and it sits on 2 treated fence post. Dad was always going to auctions so he had some tan steel. The blind is 5'x5' and only used for rifle/muzzy hunting. trap door with a ladder for entry. It's a little small for my liking but had to build it the way dad wanted. We can move them with the tractor and then we anchor them with 2 crossed "T" posts on opposite corners.

This is what ours looks like, built with 6"x10' treated fence post for corners and it sits on 2 treated fence post. Dad was always going to auctions so he had some tan steel. The blind is 5'x5' and only used for rifle/muzzy hunting. trap door with a ladder for entry. It's a little small for my liking but had to build it the way dad wanted. We can move them with the tractor and then we anchor them with 2 crossed "T" posts on opposite corners.

Scott44, do you drag that stand to move it or pick it up with the tractor?

Scott44, do you drag that stand to move it or pick it up with the tractor?

Pick it up with the FEL, go up to it with the bucket tilted like you are back blading and then wrap a chain around it and then tilt it so the blind is just off the ground.

IMG_3318_lg.JPG

My dad built this tower and he made a track for plexiglass to slide and on the inside he cut plywood and just used a small door hinge and the name is escaping me what he screwed at the top that you turn to allow the window to open. I personally don't think the plexiglass was needed. To make it quiet to open and close, foam was mounted around the window edge.

My dad built this tower and he made a track for plexiglass to slide and on the inside he cut plywood and just used a small door hinge and the name is escaping me what he screwed at the top that you turn to allow the window to open. I personally don't think the plexiglass was needed. To make it quiet to open and close, foam was mounted around the window edge.
That's a nice stand your dad built. I like the vertical window for bow hunting. I'm going to cut a couple windows in like that this year. Right now with just horizontal windows I can't shoot my bow out of it.

That's a nice stand your dad built. I like the vertical window for bow hunting. I'm going to cut a couple windows in like that this year. Right now with just horizontal windows I can't shoot my bow out of it.

That is what I was thinking, maybe horizontal in the middle and a vertical on both sides of it. Well actually the vertical in the middle would probably give you more room to maneuver a bow.

I prefer the wide open for bow hunting. Not sure why I just do. Don't even like ground blinds. I only bow hunt early season so I think it is all part of that experience of being in a tree with the changing colors and having virtually 180 degrees or more of positioning. I don't bow hunt in a medium or heavier rain anyway (won't risk washing away a blood trail). Just my 2 cents worth. My shooting houses are more set up for firearms anyway as far as their placement is concerned.

I like these sort of blinds for hunting open areas where a tree stand just isn't really an option. Hiding in plain sight so to speak. I set mine up so I can make use of what I think is a max range (roughly 150 yards) and to cover areas of fields and the like where the deer tend to just stand there and taunt you while you hold your bow.

While I myself like hunting out in the elements a lot more than being in a box, they have their place and is great for anyone who has a hard time with the cold, has back or knee issues or is taking out young kids who cannot sit still. This was the first year I sat in this tower with my kids and it was amazing how much scent it contained. Not one deer who came in downwind took off.

As far as windows, it has one vertical window on each side. If I were building it I just would make that window go an inch or two lower for the kids.

here's a variety. First one is hand made on telephone posts. 16 feet high, 4x6 inside, tight for 2 adults. Amish ladders, glued and screwed. Next ones are shadowhunters. last one is handmade, large enough for a turrett, blown insulation. 6x6 for 2 adults is great. Make sure its 7 feet inside to stand and stretch on an all day sit.

Holy smokes thats a giant platform!!!

That was overkill. I wanted a porch and a walkatound for maintenance but kenny chesney could perform up there.
Thats a dandy for sure! I want to build a big platform/sniper tower on the main ridge that over looks my bottoms. Something I could shoot from in the prone position and put the rem 5r mil spec 308 to work! Thats on the agenda for this summer