Pear Disease Resistant Varities

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
I've looked online and most things say Keifer. I have 2 Laconte pears in my wild life orchard, I planted 2 keifers last year from Tractor Supply as I couldn't find any others locally and those died.

I can get Bartlet pears on OHxF 333 from my cooperative district for $14 a tree. What should I do to get some pears in the orchard besides all these apples?

You don't want Bartlet, they are very fire blight prone. I am growing some different disease resistant, cold hardy pears for sale, and with any luck will have more varieties next year. If interested in more details shoot me a PM I don't like turning threads into sales pitches ever though John gave me the ok.

danget TC, everytime i see your handle it reminds me to cut the scions off that old arse crab tree. Yes I want some pears, watcha got!, Move to our pm thread....

Moonglow is bullet proof on disease resistance for me. I think it is good in Zone 5 but your can check and see.

Ayers is also bullet proof but I think they only list as far north as Zone 6.

I will let you know in a couple weeks. I planted 8 pears, 5 different varieties from cummins for zone 4 that were disease resistant. Last year all but one or two had severe winter die back. They all grew back above the graft. With another record cold winter, although not as severe cold I will know if they are a failure or have a chance. If they die back this year I will give up on them.

I found a wild pear by my house in an overgrown area of a park. It produces small pears about the 2/3 the size of a ping pong ball. The tree shows no signs of disease, held fruit until January this year and almost march last year. I would say it's a pear with the characteristics of a crabapple. I am grafting a few this year and calling it the winter wildlife pear.

Moonglow is bullet proof on disease resistance for me. I think it is good in Zone 5 but your can check and see.

Ayers is also bullet proof but I think they only list as far north as Zone 6.
I have an ayers that was at my house buried in its pot last winter. I moved it last spring and it took off. It was a $3 clearance tree and it is crushing all my cummins trees. It saw temps down to -20 last winter, this winter there has been a couple -30's so the experiment should be complete in a few weeks.

I've looked online and most things say Keifer. I have 2 Laconte pears in my wild life orchard, I planted 2 keifers last year from Tractor Supply as I couldn't find any others locally and those died.

I can get Bartlet pears on OHxF 333 from my cooperative district for $14 a tree. What should I do to get some pears in the orchard besides all these apples?

So far, as of December, both of my TSC Keifers are alive. I'm hoping that they are as disease resistant as everyone says.

I found a wild pear by my house in an overgrown area of a park. It produces small pears about the 2/3 the size of a ping pong ball. The tree shows no signs of disease, held fruit until January this year and almost march last year. I would say it's a pear with the characteristics of a crabapple. I am grafting a few this year and calling it the winter wildlife pear.

Thats pretty awesome Ed!