Ohio corn piles

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
Recently visited with a habitat consultant. I explained even though ive made major improvement on my 65 acres, im still seeing limited resident bucks. I explained surrounding me are lease properties with corn pile hunters. He said in Ohio you have to bait. Hes not the first to tell me this. One of Ohios best big buck hunter i know uses corn. Im not planning on setting up over it but looking to add two feed locations to my ground per the reccomendation by my habitat guy. Hes the 3rd visitor to my piece and all three have said u have to do it to be in the game if your neighbors are running bait.

Question is how do u Ohio guys or bait state hunters doing this? What kind up feeder? Do you put it on a ln existing plot? Put it in kill plots, close to bedding? How do you keep racoons out?

I have a couple of the Buck Boss feeders out, they keep the moisture out and slow the coon down a little. Just inside of edge out of sight with a trace mineral block close by will let them feed during the day, feel safe and keep road hunters from sniping at deer. Feed year round.
Starting early November most also dump right on the ground by feeder.

hBd0kRH.jpg

yifZmwZ.jpg

Lots of people complain about it, but you're either going to use it,or your neighbor will. Yo won't draw deer to your place with a food plot if the neighbor has corn. Until they outlaw it all together, that's something you'll have to stomach.

We use it as a tool. It's a great way to inventory and take does off the landscape. Few bucks are killed over corn, although, we've done it.

I don't think it takes the same skill set and it really reduces the "woodsmanship" portion of hunting, but it is what it is. And ultimately, we're all killing deer. The deer doesn't care the difference. It cares that it's dead or not.

Don't overthink it. Use it as a tool, but hopefully its not your only tool.

We use it in places where we know deer will be present, but that we can get in and out of easily. Food plots where the stand is conducive to slipping out after dark.

we have a couple of feeders,but generally we put it on the ground.

Coons are annoying and should be dealt with how you see fit. I don't ask and I don't wanna know.

Any tips on keeping the squirrels off your boss buck? They have started chewing the fiberglass feeder tubes.

Any tips on keeping the squirrels off your boss buck? They have started chewing the fiberglass feeder tubes.

I haven't had that issue yet, they have only been out a couple years. Do you feed year round?

BJ- I’ve had the same prob years ago as your having now. Try screwing in like a 3-4 inch of aluminum around the mouth.

I have only had the feeder out there maybe two months. They are not legal here during the season. I just wanted to put one out that I can see from our back window for fun. I'll take it down in a few weeks here.

I've seen some people put grease or petroleum jelly on the legs. Others use carpet strip spikes or metal cones on the legs. I'll probably try some grease.

Lots of people complain about it, but you're either going to use it,or your neighbor will. Yo won't draw deer to your place with a food plot if the neighbor has corn. Until they outlaw it all together, that's something you'll have to stomach.

We use it as a tool. It's a great way to inventory and take does off the landscape. Few bucks are killed over corn, although, we've done it.

I don't think it takes the same skill set and it really reduces the "woodsmanship" portion of hunting, but it is what it is. And ultimately, we're all killing deer. The deer doesn't care the difference. It cares that it's dead or not.

Don't overthink it. Use it as a tool, but hopefully its not your only tool.
Where do you pit the feeders? Are they on a destination source or back in the timber

My dad and I go to bow hunt WV every year where baiting is legal. We belong to a large hunting club and there are bait piles about every 300-400 yards. It's very high pressure. What we've found over the years is find cover/bedding and bait near there. Also find a very good cover to put a stand in. We almost always put them in hemlock trees if we can find them.

I've never baited in a low pressure area so I can't speak for that but typically the only time we get shots at mature bucks is when they come in with a doe. I've had some cruise by checking the bait piles for doe. They'll very rarely feed at a bait pile in day light though.

I know a few guys that hunt leases in Ohio and bait. They say they'll establish a bait site and then hunt the trails leading to it a few hundred yards away.

Also, we've tried all kinds of fancy BOB baits and attractants. It always comes back to corn and apples/pears as the best baits. I have found that a good mock scrape in addition to the bait nearby attracts mature bucks.

Outbait thy neighbor and kill them early - before firearms season.

If you want to kill a mature deer pour the biggest pile of corn out and it will happen if you have any hunting sense. Deer are dumb, even big ones, when it comes to bait. I refuse to do it so it’s a bit more difficult. But whatever floats your boat.

that wasn’t what you asked though, I guess put it somewhere near the center of your property and don’t hunt it so they feel comfortable and maybe they will prefer your corn to someone else’s.

Last edited:
Reviving the zombie… would love to hear and learn more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bears in my area would love those feeders. They would destroy them, eat all the corn, and then destroy them even more just to be assholes 😂

How big is that one? Modified legs? What’s your strategy with it?

At this point- I plan to sell all of the feeders I’ve acquired… and either get a big one, or occasionally spread a little corn on the ground or do nothing with corn. Just trying to figure out which would befit me most for mature bucks.

I have only food plots around and there is no ag for miles, am an absentee land owner, new to baiting….and have neighbors that have 30lb feeders and an outfitter a mile away that uses dumptrucks.

Holds 600lbs, feed year round to keep deer coming to property and to keep them fat and sassy. Also beneficial to all kinds of wildlife.
Boss Buck makes a 1200lb one too, I like that whatever the size they do not ever draw moisture due to the type of materials used and design.

You don't have to hunt over them and theres nothing wrong with them if legal.But with 65 acres you may not keep any mature bucks on that amount unless it has very good undisturbed cover