This is only a test!

FarmerDan

5 year old buck +
Presumably we are all of a like mind when it comes to the primary reason for this forum. It's about wildlife (deer) habitat improvement. Or, let's assume so. We have come here to share our experiences and to learn from others.

As I sit in the sun I wonder what I've learned and how my thoughts and practices have changed. If you have learned something and put it into practice share it here?

I will start.
1. Throw and mow. I would broadcast seed but never would have thought about the mulch cover benefit. I'm still open to discussion about where and how and why it works.
2. Lickcreek. His ideas and solutions were novel and remain golden for me.
3. I am a grower. My main interest if food plots. Never gave much thought to total habitat management. I think I know good habitat and bad habitat, but I never gave much thought to managing it. Now it's a least in the back of my mind and, I know, a very important aspect of managing land use of whitetails.
4. Brassicas. I still don't plant much of it. But it is part of my curiosity now.
5. Regenerative ag. When I first came across someone's mention of it I didn't know what it meant.
6. Clethodim. Outside of food plotting I have no use for it and didn't really know much about it. I do now!
7. The debate about tillage. The debate continues at least in my head.

No doubt there are many other tips and pointers I have borrowed. Tip of the cap to the admins, all the writers and all the readers!

And you?

I've learned a ton.
I was doing TnM in the mid 1990's but I didn't learn about Cleth and the benefits of high diversity until these forums sprung up and I started reading books by Gabe Brown and others in the regenerative categories. I knew a lot about plants unlocking elements in the soil but didn't connect a lot of the dots until later. Lots of little things like ropes for licking branches and stuff like that have been beneficial to me. Plus forums let me an avenue to learn what's going on outside of my own little bubble. Viewpoints and norms from outside of my realm help round me out.

I've come a long way. Back in the QDMA forum days, I was just about food plots and herd management and camera surveys because I only leased land. Owning land and having access to the guys on here to bounce ideas off of has been a tremendous help in advancing my knowledge in other areas. Things like old field management, pollinator plantings, forest stand improvement, basal spraying, etc have opened my eyes into thinking about more than just where and what are the deer going to eat at dawn/dusk. Heck, I've even planted a pollinator strip in my backyard next to the pond, and there are NO deer living near it. Thanks to everyone on here!

No-till, Regenerative ag and the use of a drill. Big discoveries for me. I always assumed you had to till the land in order to grow crops in rows....and either cultivation or spraying was how to control weeds. I learned to grow my own mulch to prevent weeds from growing and to keep the soil covered and to "crowd out" space for weeds to grow.

I spent the first several years just clearing enough land to have some food plots....liming, and de-stumping......which took years to accomplish. I always had an interest in tractors, machinery and such......just never been much into agronomy until the last few years. Finally connecting a few of the dots.....and understanding more about the land I own. Reading some good books (Gabe Brown for one - Thanks Cat) helped me allot. Also so many good videos on YouTube these days.

I'm discovering new ways to have better habitat with less work and annual expense. Win / Win.

I use tnm a little with moderate success on fall planted plots. For me, it seems to require much more “good planting” weather than other planting methods - but it is quick and easy. I dont use tnm on food plots I feel like I absolutely must have success with. Conversely, I have fantastic luck planting dove plots (millet) straight into a gly sprayed cool season grass in May and not mowed. I think because rain is much more consistent in the spring

I have also have my ranger set up where I can spray and plant at the same time and have had good success planting various millets doing this in smartweed in the duck holes. The wetter (muddier) the ground the better - right up to the point you get stuck.

I used to plant all manner of seed. Now, it is just wheat and clover. I will plant wheat into existing clover if I am lucky enough to have some clover live through the summer drought. No fertilizer except for dove plots where seed production is important. Two tons of wheat seed, 100 lbs ladino clover, and 50 lbs crimson. Can plant all 30 acres easily in three days if the plots are already prepped - either sprayed or bush hogged. Makes planting easy - all at one time and never change planter settings. Herbicide control easy. No fertilizer.

Quit planting any trees I cant reach with a waterline. Have literally lost tens of thousands of trees to drought when considering loblolly pine, too.

EVERYONE with private ground here baits. Have developed a baiting plan that keeps more deer on my place more of the time. In addition, it puts more weight on our deer. Antler sizes seem to be slightly larger. We dont hunt the bait except maybe the grand daughters. That, along with early hunting effort has resulted in my group killing a much greater share of the mature bucks.

Fruit trees are high maintenance and require an inordinate amount of time money and effort. I still put up with them because I have dreams of a good crop one year.

We have extremely low fawn recruitment - I quit worrying so much about predation and concentrated more on building the doe herd - which brings me to the last and probably best management practice I have on my place - creating a doe factory.

I came here for the fruit tree knowledge.
Learned how to graft
Learned what varieties to plant
Learned about rootstocks
Learned about red fleshed apples (thanks Sandburr)
The scion exchange is awesome

Also picked up all kinds of nut knowledge , chestnut/oaks/hazelnuts
Got into native grasses big

The deer hunting thing wasn’t as important to me, the making habitat better for All wildlife has been.

Sharing and exchanging thoughts and ideas with other like minded property owners has been great.
Watching everyone’s land tours is fun, especially seeing how it’s done in other areas.

Oh man, it's been a wild ride all the way back to the Q days. What have I taken from all this?

The Q is all about money and staying chummy with the government. Most wildlife orgs are for that matter.
@Catscratch introduced me to awnless wheat, and the larger world of improved forage cereals. I taught him how to coat himself in borax.
@Foggy47 made me make my case on solar.
@Crimson n' Camo really blew the throw and mow universe wide open for me. Best thread I've ever seen on the internet. I'll never forget that picture of his sand turning black after a short time under the model.

Many have shared native timber management and individual species learnings. Hell, I never even heard of winter rye until the Q days. I remember when we'd have page after page of discussions about rye when it was new to most of us. "How hard is it to germinate?" "Will it come up in the spring?" "Do deer like it?" "Is that the same as rye grass?"

There are so many, it's a disservice to the rest to not be able to mention them, but it's been a great community, across all forums out there. I've come full circle, going up the ramp of big money, big inputs and big effort, and all the way back down the other side to focusing on doing as little as possible, with my only two measures of success in the habitat world are:

1 - Doing as little as possible
2 - Achieving the highest output possible, among all metrics (Best cover, best food, best timing, best access, high deer numbers, buck sightings etc)

I still like to spend money on improvements, but it's for improvements, and not maintenance. That means moving dirt. I love moving dirt.

I don't know how long ago it was, but I remember the big epiphany I had when I realized that all food plot seed is 1/3 the cost when you buy it from a cover crop dealer, and not a BOB hustler. I remember buying my first 50 pound bag of mixed brassicas for $2/lb when BOB blends were going for like $8-$10/lb. It was something like, I can get 5 lbs for $40 in a BOB bag, or I can get the same thing in a 50 pound cover crop bag for $100.

I have learned that there is no silver bullet solution or one size fits all answer. So many variables to impact what you do to getting the results you want, and understanding you cannot control mother nature.

From the QDMA days, I have to give a lot of credit to Lickcreek. He started this sharing of info that turned into so many excellent thread topics. I think his leadership lead to where we are at today here on this site.

Have learned a lot about food plot planting, weed control, and soil building. Importance of sanctuary cover, thermal bedding, etc. I was one of the originator's of caging conifers to protect as i learned the hard way when you didn't.

Have learned the most in Fruit trees from selection, pollination, rootstocks, maintenance & care, etc. The apple tree folks here have been an amazing resource in their willingness to share.

I have also learned that less is often better than more. Some habitat techniques and the extremes that people take them, can have long term negative effects on the habitat and wildlife.

While deer hunting is very important on why I do what I do, leaving the land better than I found is at the top of my list.

Apple varieties and food plot seeds.

I've learned:

Winter rye is a many splendored thing
The importance of seed to soil contact cannot be overstated
Timely rain is the great equalizer of all planting strategies
Planting trees is an absolute addiction for which there is no cure

bill

The throw and mow thread was the revelation for me. The only equipment I have is a lawn mower, spot sprayer, and weed eater. The first plot I tried to grow I sprayed gly, waited for it to die, then mowed on the lowest setting basically scalping the soil, then used a rake to try and get clear soil. I spread imperial no plow from Whitetail Institute. It was only about the size of my living room, but deer actually found it. Throw and mow has made it so much easier, and more successful.

I also learned about apple trees here too. How to graft so I could actual afford several trees. How to use the USDA GRIN to acquire a wide variety. Now I'm planning to use my orchard for some supplemental income upon retirement.

I've learned:

Winter rye is a many splendored thing
The importance of seed to soil contact cannot be overstated
Timely rain is the great equalizer of all planting strategies
Planting trees is an absolute addiction for which there is no cure

bill
When you have 44,000 trees die after planting - it kind of curbs the addiction😎

Lol. I'm with you except for a fruit or nut tree here and there, that I can gage and protect. Not 44,000 but I bet I've planted 25,000 conifers and live stake cuttings. Cuttings actually did better.

Before theses forums I hunted from a tree over a trail or field. (Still do but now I know why and make it serve me better)
Everything I do now I learned from others and it has upped my game exponentially. From plots to timber stand improvements to how to hunt right. All learned from someone else.

I empathize with the folks trying to grow trees. I have not had that issue.....and get prolific natural Regen everywhere after logging. Volunteer Burr Oaks by the carload, willows, aspen, birch, red pine, white pine, jack pine, and many others. I don't ever fence a tree (except a few apple trees years back)....and need to cull some trees in the time to come. I cannot say any trees have died from lack of water....as my water table is just a few feet below grade. Didnt have a clue of that when I bought this property.....but starting to see the potential now. Deep rooted food plots are in my future.

I had 12,000 loblolly pine planted in 2011 in Feb. Anyone can grow loblolly pine in the south. By end of July, 100% mortality due to drought. Tree planter said that is an anomaly - never had entire failure over planting several million loblolly pine. Did it again 2012 - second verse, same song. I decided it was just bad luck. Contacted tree planter again to plant in 2013. He said he wouldnt do it for me - I was bad luck. I found another planting crew - they planted and they did great - for four years. 8 to 10 ft tall and then two floods within six months that completely inundated all trees - killed them all. That place is now growing up in ash, box elder, honey locust, and persimmon with 90 ft tall loblolly pine growing around the edge.

I take complete responsibility for the other 12,000. Calcareous soil with a pH of 7.5. I figured what the heck - some of those loblolly pine will prosper. There are still a few left after 8 years. Not a one ever grew taller than three feet. Cant fool mother nature. Lost dozens of fruit trees. I cant carry enough water in prolonged periods of no rain and 105 degree heat. Slowly, I am learning my lesson.

Even the few fruit trees I plant that do make it are basically a waste. Arkansas black apples that escape the coons lay on the ground and rot. A dozen deer in a food plot 50 ft away every day

IMG_9475.jpeg

When I first started reading habitat forums I was amazed to see that people were actually planting orchard type trees! From It I learned that among our kind hope springs eternal! And now I have learned that loblolly's ae not idiot proof! Offered with good humor and empathy! 😀

I had 12,000 loblolly pine planted in 2011 in Feb. Anyone can grow loblolly pine in the south. By end of July, 100% mortality due to drought. Tree planter said that is an anomaly - never had entire failure over planting several million loblolly pine. Did it again 2012 - second verse, same song. I decided it was just bad luck. Contacted tree planter again to plant in 2013. He said he wouldnt do it for me - I was bad luck. I found another planting crew - they planted and they did great - for four years. 8 to 10 ft tall and then two floods within six months that completely inundated all trees - killed them all. That place is now growing up in ash, box elder, honey locust, and persimmon with 90 ft tall loblolly pine growing around the edge.

I take complete responsibility for the other 12,000. Calcareous soil with a pH of 7.5. I figured what the heck - some of those loblolly pine will prosper. There are still a few left after 8 years. Not a one ever grew taller than three feet. Cant fool mother nature. Lost dozens of fruit trees. I cant carry enough water in prolonged periods of no rain and 105 degree heat. Slowly, I am learning my lesson.

Even the few fruit trees I plant that do make it are basically a waste. Arkansas black apples that escape the coons lay on the ground and rot. A dozen deer in a food plot 50 ft away every day

View attachment 58626
Loblollies grow as well as goutweed in east texas

bill