Finally Retired ... Now What?

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Well, last week I finally sold the business to my partner and now I have officially retired. Bit of a strange feeling as the business for 20 years consumed every aspect of my life and took priority over everything else. The business served a global customer base so it was never a 9-5 job, and required planning, organizing, conference calls, virtual meetings & presentations 24-7. I have given sales presentations and conducted customer training & equipment trouble at all hours night & day. Making payroll, cash flow, hitting sales #'s, pacifying unreasonable customers, product development & launch, finding & developing markets, managing sales channels, profitability, negotiating contracts, & employee issues had been the constant fire drill & grind.

It has been a good ride and most days I enjoyed it, some I questioned my sanity. While I have always been an organizer and goal driven, I am now looking at having to recreate a new life post work. I tend to like structure and projects, but also now want the flexibility and time to make things fun. Trust me, the wife already has started a honey do list for me 😉

Have a bunch of projects and home items that need work, then there is the habitat stuff. Will be nice to go to the farm and have a whole week to do a project, plant trees, etc. rather than just a day and a half. Looking forward to the ability to hunt when the conditions are right, not just on the weekend.

So I am looking for some ideas on what some of you have done that have been interesting and added to your experience. I know the conventional like golfing, fishing, travel, etc. Just looking for some interesting perspectives.

So let's hear your thoughts?

If you don't already have a good dog I would suggest that now is the time. More time to go out and observe your property and appreciate the outdoors. Stay up as late as you want and sleep in as late as you want. Doing things you want to do is the freedom you've worked towards. ENJOY

No major advice, since I’m not retired yet …. But enjoy your retirement!

Congrats. We were in the same boats two years ago, sold the business and retired. Interesting going from 24x7 work to 24x7 free time. Haven’t looked back. Soon you will forget what day it is. Soon you’ll not have an uneasy feeling on Sunday nights trying to get projects wrapped up…crazy how the body was programmed to work. The best part is you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. Enjoy!

A buddy of mine who is a navy seal once told me to get up everyday at 4 am. It sets the tone for the whole day, you get so much more done. I started doing this a few years ago, I get so much more done in a day. Like I said it just sets the tone for the day.

I just retired last week, so no expert here. I'm in Florida fishing and remodeling a house for the winter. I don't need to get that much stuff done, if I don't want. I'm usually up by 0700. Finished drywall all day. I'm the kind that once I start a project, I have a hard time leaving it. Trying to break that old habit by going fishing tomorrow!

I’m a ways from retirement but congrats buddy!! I am sure you’ll find plenty of fun things to do with your free time and less stress!

I’m 5-7 years out yet so all I’ll say is congratulations

I am a long way from being retired, mostly because I enjoy working too much! LOL. Making time for family that you haven't gotten to see much of lately would be a good priority. I totally agree with the setting a time to get up in the mornings, preferably early in the morning as opposed to late. Those days that I get up late, as in after 7am are not nearly as productive. A good routine is good for the body.

This....
Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don't strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt!

Find a cause where you can make a substantial contribution - on your terms. It's not easy to find, but persist! You may be traditionally retired but I bet you still have a lot to offer. I have 20-years of life expectancy left and it won't all be leisure.

What to you wish to express? Lessons you learned you wish to share? Us old guys need to separate the old from those with future relevance. If you can you must mentor! The world needs your perspective.

I would re-think the last one. Do strive to make your presence noticed, but in your own way and on your terms.

And, of course, enjoy your leisure and reflect on your success but don't let it become a stone around your neck.

Congratulations!

I'm of no help. I don't contribute anything of value to society. But I do get to spend more time doing what I want, and of coarse what the wife wants. It won't be to long before you'll wonder how you ever got anything done when you were working full time. To each their own but If I'm not hunting something, fishing for something or have a good reason, I never get out of bed before 7 or later. 🙂

I have found things take me longer to do. Not because I'm old, because I'm not, but now I have the time to be a perfectionist, and I was pretty uptight about stuff before.

Anyway, Enjoy it!

Dig a perch/walleye pond?
Already have a perch/walleye pond? Dig a catfish/crappie pond?
Already have a catfish/crappie pond? Dig a minnow pond to feed ponds 1 and 2?

Set a goal of (x) gallons of saw fuel to use per year to select cutting to improve habitat stead.
Start trapping and don't quit until you come up empty handed.
Compost everything you trap.
Build a garden to use your compost.
Discover canning to utilize your garden bounty.
Reallocate healthcare dollars saved from healthy eating to join the poker circuit in your area.

No experience here either, yet, but lots of great stories started with a fire, a good dog, and a great bottle of whiskey. I’ve always wanted to start my retirement story that way.

I also believe in waking up early, accomplishing something every day, and donating effort (not money) to something that floats my boat.

Best of luck to you!

Edit : Do you ride snowmobile being from WI? How about a 1000 or 1500 mile wilderness ride in Ontario / Manitoba over a week or 10 days. (**poker circuit ? This is Wisconsin sir…..it’s euchre or sheepshead and maybe dirty clubs on a wild night😂😂)

Last edited:
Been retired less then a year so still working on the whole new life chapter. A few thoughts (probably mostly for me!)

1) When out and about on the land get out there and walk at times instead of using the golf cart with lift kit or Polaris or whatever toys you have to drive to practically everything. Noticed my buddies now entering their mid 60s are almost giving up on bird hunting and such. They just aren't used to walking much any more. Bad feet and ankle problems contribute to this but inactivity is accelerating the decline. One guy claims he gets out and golfs 3 or 4 times a week but bet he drives to within 10 ft of the ball all the time. Getting around with my mutt has helped with the boots to the ground time.
2) Try to reconnect with friends and family that you have drifted away from due to the whole kids take over your/their lives. Their kids are probably launched now too and suddenly calendars are more open (except for all their medical appointments!) I actually do more outdoor stuff with a friend's son then my friend now that he is a golf retirement junkie.

3) Lose some weight. Still working on tackling that myself. If you can claim you weigh less at retirement than 20 years ago good for you but bet not true for 98% of folks I know. The other 2% aren't smiling though, they are battling some disease. Not trying to be funny, reality sucks.

Last edited:
Definitely eat healthy. And exercise.

A lot of vegetables here are grown hydroponically, so I garden as much as possible. I even take the rank stems from greens that have bolted and run them through my juicer to get all the nutrients I can out of them. A couple weeks ago I harvested the last of my beets during a thaw here. I ran all those through the juicer with a kilo of carrots and some ginger and lemon. I started drinking a glass of that juice and going to the gym again after about a two week hiatus, and man do I feel the difference. Sauna helps too.

Congrats Tree Spud. I'm still about 3 to 5 years away. But I'll say this...when I retire I look forward to taking some deer hunting trips every fall to hunt and see places I don't get a chance to hunt; the south, Montana, mid-west. Saskachtewan, etc.

Enjoy your retirement. Looking forward to hearing about the things you'll get into.

Well, last week I finally sold the business to my partner and now I have officially retired. Bit of a strange feeling as the business for 20 years consumed every aspect of my life and took priority over everything else. The business served a global customer base so it was never a 9-5 job, and required planning, organizing, conference calls, virtual meetings & presentations 24-7. I have given sales presentations and conducted customer training & equipment trouble at all hours night & day. Making payroll, cash flow, hitting sales #'s, pacifying unreasonable customers, product development & launch, finding & developing markets, managing sales channels, profitability, negotiating contracts, & employee issues had been the constant fire drill & grind.

It has been a good ride and most days I enjoyed it, some I questioned my sanity. While I have always been an organizer and goal driven, I am now looking at having to recreate a new life post work. I tend to like structure and projects, but also now want the flexibility and time to make things fun. Trust me, the wife already has started a honey do list for me 😉

Have a bunch of projects and home items that need work, then there is the habitat stuff. Will be nice to go to the farm and have a whole week to do a project, plant trees, etc. rather than just a day and a half. Looking forward to the ability to hunt when the conditions are right, not just on the weekend.

So I am looking for some ideas on what some of you have done that have been interesting and added to your experience. I know the conventional like golfing, fishing, travel, etc. Just looking for some interesting perspectives.

So let's hear your thoughts?
You sound like a do’er, and in short order you will be tempted to get involved in another smaller business - so you don‘t get bored. Take my wife’s advice and wait until you get bored to take such a step. Otherwise you might lose this great opportunity to enjoy the fruits of your labor. After an early retirement we traveled extensively, and I took flying lessons, etc. 16 years later and still not bored.

If you don't already have a good dog I would suggest that now is the time. More time to go out and observe your property and appreciate the outdoors. Stay up as late as you want and sleep in as late as you want. Doing things you want to do is the freedom you've worked towards. ENJOY

Already have a great one, a yellow lab. Unfortunately he is almost 14 yo and having serious hip problems and approaching the end of the line. He used to be a brush buster on our walks in the woods & marsh. Tough decision coming up once he tells me it's time.

Last edited: