This is only a test!

Oh man, it's been a wild ride all the way back to the Q days. What have I taken from all this?

The Q is all about money and staying chummy with the government. Most wildlife orgs are for that matter.
@Catscratch introduced me to awnless wheat, and the larger world of improved forage cereals. I taught him how to coat himself in borax.
@Foggy47 made me make my case on solar.
@Crimson n' Camo really blew the throw and mow universe wide open for me. Best thread I've ever seen on the internet. I'll never forget that picture of his sand turning black after a short time under the model.

Many have shared native timber management and individual species learnings. Hell, I never even heard of winter rye until the Q days. I remember when we'd have page after page of discussions about rye when it was new to most of us. "How hard is it to germinate?" "Will it come up in the spring?" "Do deer like it?" "Is that the same as rye grass?"

There are so many, it's a disservice to the rest to not be able to mention them, but it's been a great community, across all forums out there. I've come full circle, going up the ramp of big money, big inputs and big effort, and all the way back down the other side to focusing on doing as little as possible, with my only two measures of success in the habitat world are:

1 - Doing as little as possible
2 - Achieving the highest output possible, among all metrics (Best cover, best food, best timing, best access, high deer numbers, buck sightings etc)

I still like to spend money on improvements, but it's for improvements, and not maintenance. That means moving dirt. I love moving dirt.
Lol, I had forgotten about the borax! Great stuff!!!

I've also learned a ton about fruit trees. Learned enough to know that I don't want to know much about them. I get ahold of a nursery, tell them where I live, then ask for trees that are disease resistant and hardy. I plant them, water for 1 year if needed, then only prune after that. If they can't make it on their own then they die.

I had never put in a food plot until 2012. Forum members were a great help. When I found lickcreek’s info on NWSGs I was blown away and hooked for life.

I went from a know nothing to what I feel is a really good start in my first attempts to improve habitat. I don't believe that I would have been nearly as successful planting my first plots without this forum and the resources you can find here. Weed control is likely where I have learned the most, I knew exactly what Gly was but Imox, Butyrac, and Cleth are all things I knew little to nothing about. Proper sequencing and timing of plots, the beauty of Winter Rye as not only a stand alone but it's use as a soil builder and nurse crop. Also understanding of things like fixing of nitrogen and how to look ahead on annual plots. This forum and advice given has been incredibly valuable. I now think I know just enough to be somewhat dangerous.

For me this has been a 13 year journey of landownership, successes and failures (which I call learning opportunities). Top lessons have been:

1. Invite others. While I am not a great hunter or land manager, I have invited those who are true novices and introduced them to the sport, the lifestyle and yes, this forum. This has forged some great friendships and folks who share our passion.
2. Learn. When we first planted apples trees I did not know about this forum, and only read the label on the trees at the Big Box store. I have learned much from this forum that would have prevented some disappointments.
3. Experiment (aka, be flexible). Until I retire, I am not able to always “plant before a rain” or have the time needed for TSI projects. I have enjoyed experimenting with planting at less than perfect times, using blends of seeds that are not conventional and to be content with “natural succession” through disruption (tillage) even though I own a no-till drill.
4. Burning works. While I don’t do as much as I would like, what I have done has worked! More burns are in the forecast!
5. Trapping helps. The number of predators is down (based on camera surveys) and the number of turkey and deer are up.
6. Be able to ID your trees and plants.
7. Have a plan. While #3 on my list is a lesson that finds annual application, having an overall plan and goal for ongoing improvement is necessary to keep from chasing too many rabbits.

Being able to fraternize, share ideas and commiserate with people of like mind and just learn as much as I can from more experienced habitat managers has been the best benefit…but also..
1. Cage trees, don’t tube them
2. WR is your friend, as are any other roots in the ground
3. Location and strategy matter
4. A little luck and timely rain go a long way…
5. Don’t get into planting fruit trees unless you are independently wealthy or wish soon not to be..
6. Cover is as or more important that food..