Off shoots from new chestnuts?

Belo

A good 3 year old buck
I planted 2 chestnut trees from walmart this spring (chestnut hill i think?) They're winthin a food plot and I hadn't paid much attention to them after they clearly made it through the summer. The other day I was looking at them and noticed there are new shoots? that are growing out of the base. These shoots leave's are staying green longer as well.

Were these seeds that didn't germinate? Are they growing up out of the roots and should I cut them? If they're not connected to the original root stalk is it possible to safely remove and transplant? I am wanting to plant more and would be a nice option if they're viable
IMG_4264.JPEGIMG_4265.JPEG

If the main trunk is still alive, cut off the water shoots when the tree is dormant.

If the main trunk is still alive, cut off the water shoots when the tree is dormant.
I assume the main trunk is still alive. It's hard to tell because it's fall and leaves are all brown and falling. Any way to tell without cutting into it?

Try bending it. It will be brittle/dry if it's dead. You can also scratch a small piece of the bark, to see if there's any green under it.