Strange Crab Situation

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
We have a Profusion Crab in our yard. Here it is, November 19th, and on a number of limbs, new blossoms have opened. Two notable differences from springtime blossoms on this tree - these blossoms are red, instead of lavender-purple, and they're staying open even after several hard frosts and temps down to 27 degrees, and high winds. The first ones opened a week ago, and today there are several new red blossoms opening up. I never saw any blossoms opening in the fall, let alone different colored ones. The springtime blossoms drop their petals with any wind - these are undisturbed despite the frosts and wind.

Anyone have a clue as to what's going on with this tree???

My libertys planted november 2022 blossomed about 6 or 7 buds in october.

Tree young? the roots determine blossoming. Smaller less deep roots could give the tree a false sense of season. A few good days warming up the ground after a few hard frosts.

Thought mine were wiwrd in zone 5 NY.

Those young to bear dwarfing rootstocks might be a factor toonpossibly. Liberty was on B118. Got most on M111.

This Profusion crab is about 33 years in the ground. This late, odd-colored blossoming is the first time it's ever happened. Don't know the roots - it came from a nursery.

Update -

I asked the head of Penn State's fruit tree dept. about this November blossoming. He said he had his own crabapple tree blossom this November. He thinks the odd blooming is a result of a couple things - early chill here, then warmer temperatures. Also he said they're noticing changing-climate effects on fruit trees. Warmer temps. are bringing about changes in fruit trees.

As for the darker red color of my blossoms (than the spring color) here at home, he doesn't have an answer to that. He said tree physiology still has some unanswered question. His own November crab blossoms were lighter than his springtime ones too. Unknown reasons.