2014 Grafting Adventures of CrazyED

I won’t move these until early May. I do feel the transplant from this bucket to nursery is when they are super vulnerable to shock. In the past I look for ideal conditions, past the cold, but avoid the heat. No direct sun. Plenty of watering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G squared,

How long did those grafts stay dormant before the buds broke. Might of had too little time for the grafts to heal/bond. I grafted m111 and anty a few each night the 1st week of april. Going to give them partial sun the 1st week of may. My dolgo's woke up end of march. transplanted them to a bucket. I grafted 2 of them about a week ago with violi's. Not too hopeful they'll take, but worth a shot.

G squared,

How long did those grafts stay dormant before the buds broke. Might of had too little time for the grafts to heal/bond. I grafted m111 and anty a few each night the 1st week of april. Going to give them partial sun the 1st week of may. My dolgo's woke up end of march. transplanted them to a bucket. I grafted 2 of them about a week ago with violi's. Not too hopeful they'll take, but worth a shot.

That’s a good question. I believe it was a solid 3 weeks. I transplanted as soon as I got a shoot that was a couple of inches and it murdered all the pears except one. Didn’t have near as bad effect on the apples which were M111.

b1142ff8eabb8c6a5fc13a495cb4fa33.jpg

These things are going crazy. They only look yellow because my headlights are on them. They are nice and green, all pinched down to a single shoot. Just not comfortable moving outside yet. Hopefully they handle the transplant shock.

Transplant shock overted.

20240414_194412.jpg

So, what would be ideal for letting grafts heal and start budding? Think my grafts are pushing 3 weeks now. Some trees got about 1/2 inch long leafs, other have some green popping out of swollen buds. Should I wait until the leafs are close to mature size?

Far as fear of freezing goes, likely be good next week. After friday morning, my lows are in the mid 40's. farmers almanac says ave frost free date is may 1st in my zip code.

Last edited:
I have the same question, last year I grafted 20 scions and placed in my garden after grafting and 19 became trees with me pampering them for the summer, I transplanted in the winter and all look great as one year old transplants. This year I decided to try the sawdust in the bucket and about 90% made leafs above grafts so I planted them in the garden and I am having less success. Most keep growing new leafs under graft and I keep rubbing out but the leafs above keep looking weaker and weaker. Some have completely died above the graft after looking good in the bucket. Many of them had just started with small growth with like 1 inch growth when I planted in garden. So should I have waited for more growth? Should I have planted deeper, to avoid sun hitting below graph? Should I have took bucket outside a little each day?