Nutsedge in buckwheat

H80Hunter

5 year old buck +
I’m growing a buckwheat crop for the sole purpose of a throw and spray/drag fall plot. I’ve got about a half acre with really strong nutsedge coming in among the buckwheat. I can’t decide if I should spray it now or let the buckwheat go another month? Any ideas? Anything I can spray on the nutsedge that won’t cause any plantback headaches?

I guess I should add, my fall plots will be a LC rotation rye blend, half brassica half cereals.

Best thing you got going for you is it’s only a half acre. Options imo.

1. Use backsprayer and use roundup on Nutsedges. Can do it several times between now and fall.

2. Mow high just to prevent sedge from going to seed. Do it a couple of times over summer.

Both should work fine for your fall plot plans. Can also roll and spray roundup at time of planting on whole 1/2 acre.

Don’t let your buckwheat go to seed unless you want it in your next plot. Terminate it early and you will be fine. How long has it been in for?

I've read the labels of sedgehammer and basagran, and neither has any info about rotation restrictions. I don't know if there are any other herbicide groups that handle sedge.

Best thing you got going for you is it’s only a half acre. Options imo.

1. Use backsprayer and use roundup on Nutsedges. Can do it several times between now and fall.

2. Mow high just to prevent sedge from going to seed. Do it a couple of times over summer.

Both should work fine for your fall plot plans. Can also roll and spray roundup at time of planting on whole 1/2 acre.
Nutsedge has a "seed" that grows from it's root. Mowing won't help.

I have nutsedge in my lawn at home. I gave up.
It’s probably going to take several expensive rounds of sedge specific herbicide to get it under control. Or just try your throw and mow. It does go dormant and die off in my yard in the early fall.

I have nutsedge in my lawn at home. I gave up.
It’s probably going to take several expensive rounds of sedge specific herbicide to get it under control. Or just try your throw and mow. It does go dormant and die off in my yard in the early fall.
Try Surge. It does a pretty good job on weeds and it will kill nutsedge.

Try Surge. It does a pretty good job on weeds and it will kill nutsedge.
Does that have any rotation restrictions beyond the dicamba?

Nutsedge. Ugh!
For me it and Johnson grass are the two toughest weeds I have battled - and it continues. Both are perennials and the established plants have extensive root systems.
Nutsedge propagates three ways - and that makes killing it tough; seed, rhizomes, tubers. And it doesn't seem to care if it's wet or dry.

Kill it or control it? Whichever herbicide you choose I think you'll have a hard(er) time with it in July or August.
See Omircon above.
By all means, keep it from going to seed. The hard battle is multiple applications of gly at the right vegetative stage. Use all the additives to gly that make it most effective.

Then, repeat until you win or give up.

Does that have any rotation restrictions beyond the dicamba?
Not to my knowledge. I generally only have to spray my lawn once a year. Sedge tends to show up when it's hot and dry. Our drought was so bad last year, it never popped. It could also be the combo of treating it several years in a row.

Last edited:
basagran is for sedge control in grasses. Gly kills the leaves and stuns the tubers down below. Nuke the food plot with gly and then can hit it with sedge treatment.

Battling it at my camp, I'm ahead of it. Likely never eliminate it.

Hitting it with gly, then discing the soil while dry kills alot of tubers.

Maybe it has always been on the label but I noticed 3qts/acre of gly for sedges. It worked for me last year. They didn't come back. Jury still out. I did some more spraying over the weekend so I'll see what happens in time.

Maybe it has always been on the label but I noticed 3qts/acre of gly for sedges. It worked for me last year. They didn't come back. Jury still out. I did some more spraying over the weekend so I'll see what happens in time.
Guessing you had a dry summer and hit it before it went dormant.

Sedges is a varied group. Broom sedge, yellow nutsedge, and mace sedge are the 3 most common ones.

Yellow nutsedge was the target. And it was very dry last year. Hate the stuff.