Missouri guys - who is planting this weekend?

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
Labor Day weekend coming up. That’s kind of my norm for my fall cereal grain food plots. I’m conflicted on what I should do.

I’ve got a four day weekend - but no rain in the ten day forecast. Should I disc everything in, cultipack, and just be patient and hope for the best. Should I disc now and prepare the plots, then go back down again when I can make time the next couple of weeks and broadcast and disc in the seed? I don’t really have time for that but could maybe make it work.

We’ve got a daughter getting married the end of the month so we’re kind of in a time crunch - while it’s not exactly a have to get it done moment it’s certainly my best opportunity. I hate to waste a bunch of seed though.

Any and all opinions are welcome. I really can’t decide - I could never be a farmer if I get stressed out about an acre and a half of food plots and a couple hundred dollars worth of seed. I have a lot of respect for you guys that farm for a living.

I wait until mid September because I'm broadcasting into beans. By then they should just start to be yellowing.

If I were you I'd plant it and hope when it rains it's enough rain to germinate and keep it going.

That’s kind of the way I’ve been leaning. I reread an old doubletree post about lightly dishing in cereal grains and then cultipacking Even in dry times. If it was good enough for him with his expertise then I shouldn’t overthink it.

I may try to get out and plant…I put in an early plot down south (Ozarks) two weeks ago and the forecast rain never materialized. I don’t see any in our forecast, but I don’t have many more weekends to plant, so this will be it.

I won't be planting until October

But,I'm in east texas

bill

I am going to be planting the rye, brassicas, and clover into plots that are not soybeans this weekend. The brassicas and clover will be used to thicken up any thin spots that had poor germination from an earlier planting. Rye will be spread into beans in a few weeks once the leaves start turning.

Have four plots already planted in brassicas. The first two plots planted caught rain the next day, the second two only caught a sprinkle. Im planning on over seeding all four with wheat and two with sweet clover this weekend. There is a slight chance of rain Tues - Thurs next week, looking like another very dry fall. I will probably go as light and as cheap as I can on the wheat, saving enough back for a hail mary on one plot only.
I would like to add golden rod and partridge pea to the valley plot, making it more of a perennial plot (over time), just not in the budget.

Last edited:
Are there no army worms in Missouri? If I did plant any cereal grains this weekend, and the very unlikely circumstance of getting a soaking rain should happen - the army worms WOULD get it.

Are there no army worms in Missouri? If I did plant any cereal grains this weekend, and the very unlikely circumstance of getting a soaking rain should happen - the army worms WOULD get it.
Never had any problems with army worms, the deer keep it mowed down so short the worms wouldnt have much of a chance.

I think in SW Missouri they have had them. Thankfully I've never heard of any around my place. And thankfully they can't overwinter here so if they show up they migrated with the cartels help.

Army worms are very much an issue at our Ozark's property, but at the farm in NW Missouri, they are a rarity. When we lived in Northern Minnesota, I recall Army worms causing many accidents, as driving on the highways overrun with army worms was like driving on ice.

Yep, have seen the worst army worm situations in central MN. Has been over a decade since I can recall seeing them thick though.

I have land in Missouri, but unfortunately no plots . I’ll have to rely on corn/corn stubble .

I decided to just go ahead while I had the time. I disced, seeded, and cultipacked. I went pretty heavy with the seed so hopefully it’ll be okay once we get some rain. I had posted a thread a while back about using the box blade to cover the seed but the disc and cultipacker obviously was the best choice. Pretty dusty out there but In the areas I mowed and sprayed a couple weeks ago there was quite a bit of thatch IMG_1666.jpegIMG_1664.jpegIMG_1661.jpegIMG_1663.jpeg

I'm gonna be burnt to shit by the time this weekend is over... 20230902_115951_HDR.jpg

I love doing the work putting plots in, and any habitat work for that matter. My trails and plots combined are only about an acre and a half this year. They’re all cut out of the woods or old logging roads. I used to do it all with an ATV but the last couple years I have had my Kubota B2601. It’s a compact tractor with a four foot disc so not big equipment by any stretch, but much easier than the ATV. It’s still an awful lot of work though and I’ve got some rough rocky ground. I’m in pretty good shape for someone my age (62) but I’ve got to admit that with all the bouncing around on the tractor and broadcasting seed with a bag seeder my back is more than a little sore today. It’s a lot of work for about fifty pounds of deer meat a year 😂. Maybe that why we love it.

I am in illinois and always plant Labor Day weekend I can’t remember having a failure. Fall greens seem to be foolproof. We are really dry here and no rain in the forecast but mine went in today also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planted 2 acres of ladino clover today and 3.5 acres of winter rye. Ready to start no till for the first time. Put my disc away for the 1st time ever. Just got to get a roller crimper for spring.