Nothing like sitting in your truck for 36 hours

Steve Oehlenschlager

5 year old buck +
Out in Watertown SD photographing waterfowl during the spring migration when my alternator went out on sat night. Nothing in town is open until Monday morning. Sitting outside a shop and already talked to the owner but can't get parts util 8am tomorrrow. Good thing I got a box of poptarts and 8 bottles of water left. For those who have never witnessed the spring migration of waterfowl. It will blow your mind the amount of birds appearing from the heavans. I actually had a very hard time sleeping last night due to the massive flocks of geese flying over all night. We're talking in the hundreds of thousands. Never seen so many so quick. It was 75 degrees here. On the deer side of it.....I started the day up by sand lake national wildlife refuge. I seen hundreds of deer in the first hour of light. One nice 8 point still sporting his rack but not another single one did. Also saw at least 2 does (think they were does ) that were sporting tracking neck collars. I could not get a descent picture as they were in the sun. But I could see the collars with binoculars. There was about 15 deer in the group but like I said not sure if they were bucks or does.

Since I live in the rainwater basin of the central flyway I get to see it every year! Never gets old.

I was out yesterday and wave after wave of sandhill cranes are heading north. You can hear them from a long way off. I had a few groups I think their compass was broken! They would fly in formation for a while and then turn into a big ball and fly in circles and then get going again. I figured their compass needed re-calibrated!

That sucks, I hope you made it home ok.

What a pain....36 hours of waiting and I was in and out with a new alternator in 30 minutes!! If only a parts store would have been open on Sunday!