Northland crab from Cummins?

sandbur

5 year old buck +
Has anyone tried it?

Maybe similar to a centennial crab?

Their information say it is northern Mn. hardy and that it ripens in mid-August. Developed byt he Uof MN many years ago.

It has dolgo blood in it.

Centennial or northland, then dolgo, chestnut crab would feed deer for 5 or 6 weeks.

I'm looking for a string of crab apples to feed northern deer for many months. Just about have it covered.

I do not have experience with this tree at all. My reply has more to do with the fact that you have lots of stuff plants and I don't think I've seen any big thread or pictures regarding all of this effort.

I'll starting chanting until you make a thread about all your habitat work!

sandbur (clap clap), sandbur (clap clap).....

I do not have experience with this tree at all. My reply has more to do with the fact that you have lots of stuff plants and I don't think I've seen any big thread or pictures regarding all of this effort.

I'll starting chanting until you make a thread about all your habitat work!

sandbur (clap clap), sandbur (clap clap).....

I felt most people had seen my land tours on the old forum and did not want to bore them with more of the same. (I deleted the links to my land tours in the old forum.)

I do have several thousand pictures on my computer.

What would you like to see?

I have quite a few crab apples and some I have started from seed. Also apples that my grandma-in-law started from seed and a few that I started from seed twenty years ago.

Lots of spruce plantings of various ages and small projects that I have done with minimum power tools. I have been working on my place where I live for 25 years.

Large parts of it is in ag production and the corners are in deer and somewhat pheasant habitat.

Well yeah, who doesn't wanna see those pictures, +1 vote for for a sandbur thread!

I haven't heard of a Northland Crab. If it has Dolgo blood in it, it can't be all bad. I've seen some of your land tours on the old forum - but not all. They were good tours w/lots of good info. I'll second the vote for some Sandbur land tours - if it's not a p.i.t.a. to post more. We all have time constraints - don't want to create more work-load for you. I'm trying to see YOUR side of it! Regardless, I'm grateful for all the pix & info you've posted over several years. I've learned a TON from you and the other " regulars " on this & other forums. Thanks once again!

North land crab

Comments:: Fruit: crab, averaging about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 " in diameter, stem medium, slender about 1/2" long; calyx closed; skin solid bright to deep red, thick, tough; dots small and inconspicuous; bloom purplish; flesh dark yellowm tinged red beneath skin, crisp, medium, tender; flavor acid, pleasant. Matures Aug. 14-24; excellent for dessert purposes, canned sauce, pickles, jelly; especially adapted in northern part of state Tree: medium size, relatively hardy, very productive, not entirely free from scab or blight; tendency to alternate bearing.

PedigreeProgeny of M. cv. Dolgo (Univ. of Minn.) McIntosh x Dolgo cross probably made in 1926; selected in 1938; tested as Minn. 1423.

Thanks for the information, Lee.

How does Northland compare with listed drop times for Whitney, centennial, and dolgo?

somewhere I mis placed the link.

I got this info from a couple different scources so take that into account but:
Whitney ripen time July/Aug
Dolgo ripen time late Aug/ Sept
Centennial ripen time Mid august

Thanks, Lee. That is about what I suspected were ripening times.

I am trying to come up with a list of recommended apples for deer in central and northern Mn. with a preference for crabs. To feed the deer as long as possible.

So far, whitney, then centennial or northland,. dolgo, chestnut, Haralson/haralred (not crabs), NW Greening and Colombia. Morse bunches red for later, and wild crabs fill the gaps.

I might start a landtour thread at a later point.

Not much time at present.

Just ask specific questions for now.
Thanks, Lee. That is about what I suspected were ripening times.

I am trying to come up with a list of recommended apples for deer in central and northern Mn. with a preference for crabs. To feed the deer as long as possible.

So far, whitney, then centennial or northland,. dolgo, chestnut, Haralson/haralred (not crabs), NW Greening and Colombia. Morse bunches red for later, and wild crabs fill the gaps.
Liberty could fit in there, if plenty winter hardy. Kerr and wickson are projects in waiting.