Northern Whitetail Crabs Now Available

Some here have guessed m111 which I agree with.

He does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assumed he would not. Many of the speciality nurseries won't provide that info.

B118

B118

An estimate or have you confirmed?

I'm simply going by the previous thread on the subject.

Here are 2 Northern Whitetail crab Drop Times with their root system. All I can say is wow!

View attachment 34497
This is just a matter of curiosity, but does anyone know what kind of graft it is on the left tree which makes it come out of the side like that?

This is just a matter of curiosity, but does anyone know what kind of graft it is on the left tree which makes it come out of the side like that?
Probably either a t-bud or chip bud

I assumed he would not. Many of the speciality nurseries won't provide that info.
From what I’ve seen, Terry was the only one I couldn’t find rootstock info on. Every other place I’ve looked at or ordered from lists the rootstock for the most part.

SLN
ACN
Cummins
Burnt Ridge
Turkey Creek
Blue Hill
Wallace-Woodstock didn’t but I’ve never ordered from them. I also don’t look at any southern growers.

I ordered 4 Enterprise apple and 2 crabs (Crossbow and Redfield) from Terrry in winter 2020. All trees were to be planted in zone 4a in MN. When communicating with Terry, he indicated the Enterprise trees were on M111 rootstock, which he said should be good for my area. I planted all 6 trees in April 2020. All trees have exceeded my expectations. All trees were much larger than I expected when received and all 6 trees put on tremendous growth during the 2020 growing season. I look forward to seeing what 2021 has in store.

He does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When Terry updated the Old NWC website near the end of last year , I noticed a picture of some trees growing and states " Our Cold Hardy Bud 118 Rootstock Budded for Spring 2022 ". I've never seen any rootstock for sale on his website....So I would imagine this is what rootstock he's using on his trees.

Attachments

• 2021-04-20 (2).png
    2021-04-20 (2).png
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
When Terry updated the Old NWC website near the end last year , I noticed a picture of some trees growing and states " Our Cold Hardy Bud 118 Rootstock Budded for Spring 2022 ". I've never seen any rootstock for sale on his website....So I would imagine this is what rootstock he's using on his trees.
I spoke with him last week and he confirmed for me that the crabs were all the B118.

Nice tree! But are those not burr knots? Does B118 ever develop them?

That I do not know. What is a burr knot?

And do clonal roots grow out like that? I have not dug any up from those planted last year in our nursery area yet and expect the Antonovka roots to look like that. I don't know what to expect from the clonal rootstocks used.

My 3 NWC planted in 2017 all have burknots. Always suspected they were on m111 for that reason.

Are burknots an issue other than aesthetics? They're by far my best performing fruit trees.

Burknots on m111

I havnt noticed any on b118, I only have a couple.20210425_073217_HDR.jpg