Northern Whitetail Crabs Now Available

Blue Hill is another great nursery, can’t wait to try some of those trees! Very awesome selection totally focused on feeding wildlife.

The only two varieties I’ve gotten fruit off of so far have been DropTine started fruiting second year and 30-06 fruited fourth year.
I have a half dozen or more of each of those varieties from 2-6 years in the ground. Along with a few other NWC varieties.
The DropTine is an early bloomer for me and are always loaded..will hold fruit through February with a slow drop all winter, the 30-06 blooms mid spring and fruit holds the same.

Took a couple pics today of two of them and am going to try the new photo load option here and see if it works.
First is a DropTine planted six years ago in heavy clay in CRP strip along woods, watered fist summer then only pruned zero TLC. It is every bit of fifteen foot tall now with a trunk like a bat.
View attachment 34391View attachment 34394
View attachment 34392View attachment 34395

30-06 planted same time same conditions it has just leafed out hasn’t bloomed yet this spring. It has very showy fruit like miniature HoneyCrisp, it is probably 12’ tall

View attachment 34405

View attachment 34406
View attachment 34407

All of my NWC have been great growers and started out with impressive root structure.
I have grafted from all of my original trees to M111 and can say the DropTine has always been easy to get started and is fastest grower in nursery bed.
Hey H20fwler those are right nice looking trees from NWC. I planted my first batch from them last year , and my Droptines have flowers on them already. Did you prune off the lower limbs on your Droptine ?. My Droptines limbs bend out and up like a hanukkah menorah lol. So far I just left them like that. Jusy wondering if you or anyone else cuts them off.

Attachments

• hanukkah.jpg
    hanukkah.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 19
Hey H20fwler those are right nice looking trees from NWC. I planted my first batch from them last year , and my Droptines have flowers on them already. Did you prune off the lower limbs on your Droptine ?. My Droptines limbs bend out and up like a hanukkah menorah lol. So far I just left them like that. Jusy wondering if you or anyone else cuts them off.

Thanks
I try and prune off everything below 4’-5’ on my apples and pears as they get big enough for me to do that.
I want the growth to go up and out.

Thanks
I try and prune off everything below 4’-5’ on my apples and pears as they get big enough for me to do that.
I want the growth to go up and out.
I've pruned most of my pears like that, everything below 4'-5' . Makes it easier to mow or get a tractor around them. I asked Terry at NWC if I should prune off the limbs on the Droptine . His advice was " the lower limbs are providing nutrients, so you might want to let them alone for a couple years. Sometimes leaving them keeps the rub off the main trunk also..everyone has their own opinion on that one I guess."

Last edited:
Blue Hill is another great nursery, can’t wait to try some of those trees! Very awesome selection totally focused on feeding wildlife.
I planted 10 from them this year. First time. Got a couple Sandbur trees, Big Dog and Buckman crabs. And now I see a Sweet Dog on there for next year. Every time I say I’m done planting trees, they suck me back in for a few more. Can’t stop the addiction.

I planted 10 from them this year. First time. Got a couple Sandbur trees, Big Dog and Buckman crabs. And now I see a Sweet Dog on there for next year. Every time I say I’m done planting trees, they suck me back in for a few more. Can’t stop the addiction.

I have not pinned down Sweet Dogs value as a Deer crab due to me harvesting most of the fruit for cider or eating. It appears to be disease free, unlike it’s sister which is right next to it. I will say disease free in my climate. At a certain stage of ripeness, it has great flavor, but the next two or three apples won’t show that flavor. Perhaps this indicates a prolonged ripening period.

It is apple crab sized. It has not thrown a lot of scion up to this point. Perhaps since it is competing with reed canary grass and has had a lot of fruit. It is a seedling from a wild crab.

I did send Ryan at Blue Hills some scion and Chris at Turkey Creek got a bit to try. I think a couple of forum members also got a small bit of scion.
593250c45768550e430c2ca336c3d585.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not pinned down Sweet Dogs value as a Deer crab due to me harvesting most of the fruit for cider or eating. It appears to be disease free, unlike it’s sister which is right next to it. I will say disease free in my climate. At a certain stage of ripeness, it has great flavor, but the next two or three apples won’t show that flavor. Perhaps this indicates a prolonged ripening period.

It is apple crab sized. It has not thrown a lot of scion up to this point. Perhaps since it is competing with reed canary grass and has had a lot of fruit. It is a seedling from a wild crab.

I did send Ryan at Blue Hills some scion and Chris at Turkey Creek got a bit to try. I think a couple of forum members also got a small bit of scion.

3badde8f8aa085bd461503399df60c3c.jpg

Great info. Thanks!

Sorry for the lousy pictures....taken with a tracfone . My NWC Droptine planted 4/8/20 picture taken 4/18/21 . Tree is 9 1/2 foot tall , pretty impressive for only being planted a year and 10 days.

Attachments

• NWC2.jpg
    NWC2.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 54
  • NWC1.jpg
    NWC1.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 55
Great pics White Oak. I have Drop Tine here planted in 2020 also. It has shown good growth here as well although not as good as yours. We did however have a once in twenty year drought last year so considering that it did very well. We also planted 30-06, and Crossbow. 30-06 so far is showing to be an extremely very fast growing tree. We are hoping for a normal growth year this year so we can see how Drop Tine and Crossbow do.

Great pics White Oak. I have Drop Tine here planted in 2020 also. It has shown good growth here as well although not as good as yours. We did however have a once in twenty year drought last year so considering that it did very well. We also planted 30-06, and Crossbow. 30-06 so far is showing to be an extremely very fast growing tree. We are hoping for a normal growth year this year so we can see how Drop Tine and Crossbow do.
Thanks Chainsaw , besides the Droptine I also planted .30 06 and Crossbows last year. The Droptines seem to be my fastest grower with the 30 06 a very close second. The Crossbow is growing , but not as impressively as the others so far . I got lucky , last year was one of the wettest on recored in my area, and when it didn't rain I watered them once or twice a week. Terry at NWC said I could give them some Miricale grow. I used the walmart Knock off brand starting in April , I used it every two weeks according to the directions on the box , but I went through August. That probably wasn't a good idea using it that late but I didn't notice any problems. I'm not sure if I'll use the miricle grow again this year. Did you fertillize yours ?. The NWC website says use two handfulls of 10-10-10 fertilizer 2 feet away from the trunk. I was thinking about putting some down this month and then maybe once more in june, but I don't want to mess my trees up, I read too much fertilizer could be worse than none. I got your Turning Point in the ground a few weeks ago ...I'll keep you posted on how it does in zone 7

The 18 trees I put in last weekend all looked just as good Tree Spud! Terry definitely puts out a great product.
I put in:
(3) 30-06
(3) Droptine
(2) Dolgo
(2) Sheepnose
(2) Wickson
(2) Redfield
(1) Grey Ghost
(1) Early Cider
(1) Liberty
(1) Enterprise

Which rootstock?

They are from NWC and I am not sure if Terry provides that info. I can check.