Northern Whitetail Crabs Now Available

Ten Point , the trees I got from NWC in 2020 were massive for bare root...branched out and big as a potted tree sold at Tractor Supply. . When I got on the list last Sept , for this springs shipment Terry at NWC told me the trees wouldn't be as big this year because of last years growing conditions/weather .. My 2021 NWC trees came last week , They still had incredible roots but nowhere near the girth or height of the 2020 trees . However for the money they are still awesome trees !. I also tried a few " trees " from another popular online seller that charges more per tree than NWC's trees , and when they arrived this spring they might as well be described as seedlings or whips (Comparable in size to NativNurseries $3.89 seedlings ) ! . So both times I ordered from NWC I was satisfied , and got bigger trees than what others were shipping and at a lower price per tree .
I've planted great looking trees and really tiny 18" trees. It doesn't really matter after a few years. As long as they survive and grow you'll never know the difference in a few years.

My 10 from Blue Hill this spring were just 3' whips. Roots were good though. I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Does anyone have any info on relative blooming times with a few of the Northern Whitetail Crabs? I have "Droptine", "30-06", "Crossbow", and "Dolgo". I'm looking to use these in or around existing smaller orchards as pollinators and as a food source themselves, so I would like to try and plan where they could have the most benefit based on my other trees already present. I am in Northern Missouri.

Just wondering when this tree was planted? Thank you-Derek
4 years ago this spring. Vegetative growth has been amazing. Would have had fruit last year but got wiped out by historic late freeze.

4 years ago this spring. Vegetative growth has been amazing. Would have had fruit last year but got wiped out by historic late freeze.
Thanks for the info! I just planted a Wickson (which was a massive tree), a couple Droptines and some Redfields from NWC...hoping they look that good in couple years

Does the website contain information on zone hardiness? I didn’t seem to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've planted great looking trees and really tiny 18" trees. It doesn't really matter after a few years. As long as they survive and grow you'll never know the difference in a few years.

My 10 from Blue Hill this spring were just 3' whips. Roots were good though. I'm sure they'll be just fine.

I am always more focused on root ball development. If you have a good root system with longer roots, you can plant them deeper and spread them out horizontally. Allows for more soil surface contact and the deeper ones can help overcome dry periods.

Last edited:
Does the website contain information on zone hardiness? I didn’t seem to find it.

No he does not. Mostly describes them as cold hardy trees from cold hardy stock.

No he does not. Mostly describes them as cold hardy trees from cold hardy stock.

I am reluctant to plant them if there is no record of cold hardiness. I am at the zone 3-4 junction and have planted seedling crabs from a Michigan nursery that were largely not hardy enough.

I have pushed the limits on some larger apples and will probably lose some trees at some point.

I like to look at the Canadian prairie varieties for my climate.

Whitetail Crabs lists the zones now. If that’s who we’re talking about still. His top 3 are zone 4-7/8 I believe.

My Whitetail Crab trees arrived yesterday. Planting tomorrow afternoon. Box is 6’ tall and seems heavy for 8 trees. I’m guessing they have a good root system. :)

Whitetail Crabs lists the zones now. If that’s who we’re talking about still. His top 3 are zone 4-7/8 I believe.

Yep, that is his new website. Good to see the zones listed now.

As of yesterday, my Droptines are starting to leaf out. My 30-06 & Sheepnose are still silver tip with some swelling of the buds.

As of yesterday, my Droptines are starting to leaf out. My 30-06 & Sheepnose are still silver tip with some swelling of the buds.
This is great to know. I called and spoke with Terry from NWC to find out about bloom timings for a number of his trees. Here is what he told me:

Droptine - early to mid bloomer
Dolgo - early
30-06 - mid to late
Crossbow - mid to late

Can anyone else verify these relative bloom timings?

I am trying to make sure I am pairing these crabs with my other apple cultivars for maximizing pollinatization.

This is great to know. I called and spoke with Terry from NWC to find out about bloom timings for a number of his trees. Here is what he told me:

Dolgo - early
30-06 - mid to late
Crossbow - mid to late

I am trying to make sure I am pairing these crabs with my other apple cultivars for maximizing pollinatization.

The only two varieties I’ve gotten fruit off of so far have been DropTine started fruiting second year and 30-06 fruited fourth year.
I have a half dozen or more of each of those varieties from 2-6 years in the ground. Along with a few other NWC varieties.
The DropTine is an early bloomer for me and are always loaded..will hold fruit through February with a slow drop all winter, the 30-06 blooms mid spring and fruit holds the same.

Took a couple pics today of two of them and am going to try the new photo load option here and see if it works.
First is a DropTine planted six years ago in heavy clay in CRP strip along woods, watered fist summer then only pruned zero TLC. It is every bit of fifteen foot tall now with a trunk like a bat.
B8CE0A9F-5924-494A-8D3B-93C7C1FC2ABA.jpeg914BE1A8-37EF-49ED-82EA-86B72C764291.jpeg
90FF535F-34FC-4983-838B-B6D7057FB6D8.png2ED6E81D-9718-4C4F-80DA-A10EADD38D52.jpeg

30-06 planted same time same conditions it has just leafed out hasn’t bloomed yet this spring. It has very showy fruit like miniature HoneyCrisp, it is probably 12’ tall

AF65A783-99CE-427D-BFDC-2C0D4F6DC889.jpeg

9E1DF825-56C8-4E7F-97C5-A1EF76E2F50B.jpeg
5CA15E3B-4239-456C-8181-E32E3DD02B8E.jpeg

All of my NWC have been great growers and started out with impressive root structure.
I have grafted from all of my original trees to M111 and can say the DropTine has always been easy to get started and is fastest grower in nursery bed.

Attachments

• 6C9664F7-0992-4974-A4F5-0F3C352178EF.jpeg
    6C9664F7-0992-4974-A4F5-0F3C352178EF.jpeg
    661.9 KB · Views: 26
Planted my NWC trees today. Great looking trees/roots.

2 Droptine
2 30-06
2 sheepnose
2 gray ghost

ad9f4fdca898f539da69456ddebbae5f.jpg

d545e05d0945023d8848cf0dc5eb2b34.jpg

4ba1b14f963bf7ae38264c2f711430a1.jpg

9105e04b472a6bd7793ec7a1ec3d3c47.jpg

b69492f9608bead6a6aecde46ba4533b.jpg

2839138e128a8faa5dedd188a268ffab.jpg

db6ee338bbe759812223a555fdb54942.jpg

c4daa8d2eb0570fb7bb11a5f48b55de4.jpg

How much are you guys paying per tree?

These were $22ish. Don’t remember exactly. Shipping isn’t fun but w/e.

Dolgo - early
30-06 - mid to late
Crossbow - mid to late

Good info, appears to match with what I am seeing on my 3 varieties.

How much are you guys paying per tree?
The current advertised price for Whitetail crabs is $23.95 each, and as far as I know they only have one size tree. Blue Hill advertises two sizes of trees...and certain varities cost more. The prices are $23.00 - $29.00 or $26.95 -$32.95 (depending on variety) it seems the newer just introduced trees run $26.95 to $32.95