New truck need opinions (pics included)

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
Well with 2 boys and another baby due in 2 wks Im in the market for a crew cab. My father in law retired from Chrysler and I cant hardly pass up the green sheet deal on new rams. Looking at the prices on slightly used trucks makes my stomach churn. Might as well just by new that way I know what I got. My research has showed that Ram trucks have come a long ways. Seems they have worked hard to overcome their reputation of a "weak tranny". Their new German designed 8 speed tranny is said to be tried an true. These same tranny's have been used in high end bmw's and rolls royce for years. So they say at least... I have settled on the bare bones model they call the tradesman but with an upgraded appearance package, 4x4, which is basically upgraded wheels and grill (only $500 extra). Only options I have added are tow package, tow mirors, tow hooks, carpet delete (vinyl floor) I cant decide between white and prairie pearl. I also cant decide between the eco diesel or the hemi. I have several buddies that have got the eco diesel and love them claiming 30mpg hwy with no load and 20mpg hwy pulling good size bass boats. We all know diesel is about 15% higher cost than reg gas. These new oil burners also require DEF fluid which is about $3/gallon. Not to much cost but it all adds up. Im hearing they use 1 gallon about every 1k miles. This truck will be worked but not to hard. Mainly light farm work and pulling quads, mowers occasionally etc and adverse weather conditions.. I have a beater work truck for my landscaping business which I plan to keep (its not 4x4) Pictured below is what the 2 choices will basically look like.. My gut tells me the diesel simply isnt worth it. I figure it will be around 35K miles before the added 4,000 cost starts working in my favor. Someone please just talk me out of it!

So opinions
eco diesel vs hemi (hwy mpg 28 vs hwy mpg 23) estimated of course
white vs prairie pearl
green ram.jpg
image1 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I just bought a new crew 3 months ago. Went with a GMC, 1/2 ton. $43k msrp, 30k plus tax new,otd. Debadged it, put tires and rims on it. Love it. I looked at the Dodge diesal. It takes 140k miles to break even on the extra cost of engine, fuel, maintenance and I would never buy the first year engine in anything let alone an Italian diesal. Remember Fiat stands for Freakin Italities Attempt at Transportation.Is the green sheet discount better then 30% off Msrp on a GMC?
I remember your purchase. Your truck is sharp. I have an 07 tahoe that uses oil and Long story short GM's customer service pissed me off.
Green sheet prices are 3-5% below dealer cost plus any rebates they have available. Every yr toward the end of the yr they run 8k off in rebates and incentives. Gonna wait on that before I pull the trigger..

Like I told the last salesman when I bought a truck in 2004. I don't want to hear Msrp, we are below dealer cost, big rebates, dealer discounts, dealer prep, taxes or any other bullshit!
Its, How much do I right the check out for, for that truck sitting right there, will tell you if I right the check out! ;)

Like I told the last salesman when I bought a truck in 2004. I don't want to hear Msrp, we are below dealer cost, big rebates, dealer discounts, dealer prep, taxes or any other bullshit!
Its, How much do I right the check out for, for that truck sitting right there, will tell you if I right the check out! ;)

I will prolly steal that line when the negotiations begin with the knuckle head salesmen John. I hate car salesman. Along with your other line if they tell me they are loosing money on a deal;) hahaha Always same oL BS. "We are the #1 dealer in the state. Why would you shop anywhere else?? And I am the #number one car salesman at this dealership" I bet I have hear this 5+ times!

White will be a pain to keep clean. Dodge ..................... well I've owned Ford, Chevy & GMC & never had problems with any of them. Never owned a Dodge or never would have in the past. They have come a long way & I'd seriously consider one now. Vehicle shopping to me is like going to the dentist I frickin hate it. Good luck

Car salesman - make'm squirm!

I like the pearl one and I would go gas - just my 2 cents worth!

Car salesman - make'm squirm!

I like the pearl one and I would go gas - just my 2 cents worth!
I would second this

I have a Ram 2500 quad cab Cummins diesel... can't say enough good about it...

Tks for the opinions guys. I have always preferred white trucks thought about doing somthing different but will prolly stick to what is easy to keep clean

Once you know the make and model you're interested in buy the dealer invoice from consumer reports for $14.

It will show the dealer cost and the price for each option the truck your looking at is.

Offer dealer cost. Dealerships get what is called factory hold back on every car if they hit quota for the month. When they cry they get nothing if they don't hit quota, tell your purchase will put him 1 vehicle closer to hitting it. Don't be afraid to walk out and drive to another dealer.

Also be on the lookout for "documentation fees" on the dealers invoice to you. Tell them you're not paying that because they're paying the secretary whether you buy a truck or not.

You may or may not get away with that one. I look at buying vehicles different than most. Make it fun for you, go in with the facts and make them squirm. That's more fun than the other way around. Lots of websites detail the best ways to do it. Search around and have fun.

And it's always better to buy during the last week of a month than the first week. Dealers are trying to hit total vehicles out the door numbers.

I just bought a new crew 3 months ago. Went with a GMC, 1/2 ton. $43k msrp, 30k plus tax new,otd. Debadged it, put tires and rims on it. Love it. I looked at the Dodge diesal. It takes 140k miles to break even on the extra cost of engine, fuel, maintenance and I would never buy the first year engine in anything let alone an Italian diesal. Remember Fiat stands for Freakin Italities Attempt at Transportation.Is the green sheet discount better then 30% off Msrp on a GMC?

Is your truck a 13 or 14? You pretty happy with her? Whats your combined MPG? I got two lawn customers that work is sales at a chevy dealer. I may give GM another chance and explore this option

Thanks Bill!

Sorry I'm spamming your thread :).

Do a search on Sept truck sales and know how the diff manufacturers did.
Ford truck sales were way down in sept. Tells me someone at HQ is pushing dealers to step it up.

Dodge's sept sales are way up. Someone at HQ is pushing to hold those numbers. Tell your sales guy that :)

I like the white one better... but if I had the choice I love the Rams that are blacked out (black bumper, black grill, black door handles, etc...).

ALWAYS be ready to walk away! You are in charge - they can go get bent! NEVER shop when you NEED one. You will make a better decision when you have time on your side. NEVER let them make you feel like they are doing you some sort of favor. They are a business they won't take a loss just becaue your a good guy. Shop toward the end of the month - they tend to be more desporate for a sale to make their numbers for the month. Never shop with anyone with you that is going to give the sales person leverage. Even when my wife gets a vehicle she tells me which one she wants and then she is done - I do the negotiating. They often pull the, "lets see what your wife thinks" bit. She tells them (and trust me she hates saying it),"He makes the decisions". She doesn't negotiate well at all (so we have developed this little plan and it works for us because I am not affraid to be difficult). She went so far once when the sales guy got pushy when he kept trying to drag her into the negotiation - she said, "Well since you can't seem to work something out, I guess we are done here." and she got up and headed toward the door! I was so proud! I knew she was screwing with him and the poor guy cracked! Always have your price - total cost or specific payment amount - ahead of time and stick to it. The dealer will try to tack on every fee and extra they can - you want it boiled down to 1 number - the final one. If your number is X thousand or Y amount a month - you let them figure out how to get there (don't tell them what that number is - just tell them they have a sale or they need to do better than that). Like I said -make'msquirm!!!!!

Last Sept. I bought the '13 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 6 speed tranny. Rear end ratio escapes me at the moment. Love it. Actual MPG at 20K miles is right at 17 or slightly less with about 80% highway miles. About 600 mi. towing & moderate to light bed loads most of the time. In my experience white is best color if you live or travel on gravel. Almost always looks clean (of course black is just the opposite). I don't think the diesel would be cost effective for the duty you described (similar to mine). If you can swing the added cost, I really like the 32 gal. fuel tank. It gives me just under 500 mile range on one tank. IMHO the most helpful free site for real world pricing is TruCar.com. Good luck Jordan!

Jordan, I bought. 2014 Ram quad cab Express, 4x4, with the towing package. 5.7 liter hemi and love it. Pulls my lite 5th wheel without a problem. I average 23.5 mpg, less if stop and go traffic. 10 mpg pulling my camper. Comfortable and roomy cab.

TKS PRK an KSKID. I appreciate the feedback! What was the most you have seen off ram trucks with rebates etc???
Seems I remember 8k off at the end of last yr but I'm not sure that correct

I bought mine in March. 4500.00 in rebate, they gave me a good trade value on my Chevy, about 3000.00 more then I expected.