Looking for new tires for the pickup...

Mike Bolin

5 year old buck +
I know there will probably be a bunch of different preferences and some brand loyalty for this question, but I feel like most of you on this site probably use your truck for the same things that I do. I drive a 2005 Silverado 1/2 ton shortbed 4x4. I pull my 16' trailer with my Kubota B2320 with FEL and an implement...rotary cutter, disc, grader box or rake to the hunting property for a 15 mile round trip, no more than 8-10 times per year. I also have an 8" trailer that I haul, dirt, rock seed and fertilizer in and as many as 20 loads of firewood per year. It's time to put new "shoes" on "little red" and I am not sure what brand to go with. I've researched online quite a bit, but most of the reviews are from people that use their trucks as cars. 80% of the time I am on paved roads running empty and I use the truck for daily transportation and back and forth to bow shoots, with some of the shoots being 300 miles away. I also run down to Franklin TN 2-3 times a year in the truck to see my son and his family (drive the truck when I need to take tools to help him with projects). I am currently running Cooper AT3 tires and as they got some miles on them they got noisier and noisier. I rotate every 5000 miles and the tread wear is even, but I can't hardly hear the radio anymore!

Trailer loaded is a bit under 5200#. I am looking for a fairly quiet tire with a decent tread life. I would like good performance in mud, but rain/snow and highway performance would come before the mud. The Coopers load up in the clay mud I deal with here in central Indiana.

So, fairly quiet on the highway, good weight capacity and tread life, good rain/snow traction with at least some cleaning capability for mud and AMERICAN MADE. Please fell free to share your preferences and/or experiences. Thanks in advance for the input! Mike

I had a suggestion right up until you said American made. Always been a high priority for me also, but I think goodyear is the only tire company based in the US now. I thought I read Cooper sold to an India company. I hate how goodyears wear out so fast. Good luck in your search.

I like my Goodyear Duratracs, really good traction in mud.

I hear Michelin is supposed to make the quietest tires. I don't work mine as much as you so I go cheap.

I have Michelins on my F-150 4 x 4 and they're USA made, run quiet on the road and handle real well in wet weather & snow. Michelin Defender LTX m/s. Been real good to me so far and have long tread wear rating. Not the cheapest, but for lots of driving on highways & some off-roading, I'm happy. Certainly not a mud-hole tire if you go swamping !!

I run oversize Firestone Destination MT's on mine.

I've used them on the last few trucks I've had, they are great off road or in the snow not as good on slick ice. They are not very noisy either which was very surprising, I can get around 60K miles on them.

The new Michelin Defenders are quite, have a 60000 mile warranty and drive really well. I've had mine a couple of years now and they look like new. They've only lost a couple of 32's of tread. If I keep them rotated and balanced, I think I can get 60 out of them. Good Luck with your search.

I'm on my 3rd set of Duratrac's. There's about 10K on the ones on my f350 and they have no visible wear. I have about 4K on the ones on the Tahoe, but they were replaced the fall before I stopped driving it. Those replaced a set that I got a bunch of miles out of and bought the same tires again because I was so happy with them.

I like my cooper discovers but I guess there not made in the US.

Last set were Duratrac's, good tire but I make 18 hour highway runs and the hum gets old. But for general use, I'd have them again.

I know there will probably be a bunch of different preferences and some brand loyalty for this question, but I feel like most of you on this site probably use your truck for the same things that I do. I drive a 2005 Silverado 1/2 ton shortbed 4x4. I pull my 16' trailer with my Kubota B2320 with FEL and an implement...rotary cutter, disc, grader box or rake to the hunting property for a 15 mile round trip, no more than 8-10 times per year. I also have an 8" trailer that I haul, dirt, rock seed and fertilizer in and as many as 20 loads of firewood per year. It's time to put new "shoes" on "little red" and I am not sure what brand to go with. I've researched online quite a bit, but most of the reviews are from people that use their trucks as cars. 80% of the time I am on paved roads running empty and I use the truck for daily transportation and back and forth to bow shoots, with some of the shoots being 300 miles away. I also run down to Franklin TN 2-3 times a year in the truck to see my son and his family (drive the truck when I need to take tools to help him with projects). I am currently running Cooper AT3 tires and as they got some miles on them they got noisier and noisier. I rotate every 5000 miles and the tread wear is even, but I can't hardly hear the radio anymore!

Trailer loaded is a bit under 5200#. I am looking for a fairly quiet tire with a decent tread life. I would like good performance in mud, but rain/snow and highway performance would come before the mud. The Coopers load up in the clay mud I deal with here in central Indiana.

So, fairly quiet on the highway, good weight capacity and tread life, good rain/snow traction with at least some cleaning capability for mud and AMERICAN MADE. Please fell free to share your preferences and/or experiences. Thanks in advance for the input! Mike

Why American made when you bought a Kubota tractor?

Show me an American made compact tractor. I looked at all of New Holland, Massey, Deere, IH, Bob Cat...none of them are manufactured in the US.

Thanks for the replies so far. It is looking like a lot of the overseas tire companies are manufacturing at least a portion of their tires in the states now, so I am going to have to broaden my scope a bit. I set out to purchase a John Deere when I bought my tractor and found that they were partially assembled here in the US with engines from India. That is when I focused on the Kubota. Many are assembled in the US...Georgia I am thinking and there are 3 dealers within 45 minutes of my house.
Staring to look at Toyo tires, made in Georgia. I like the tread pattern and the reviews are pretty decent. Anyone running Toyo tires?

I like my cooper discovers but I guess there not made in the US.

Last set were Duratrac's, good tire but I make 18 hour highway runs and the hum gets old. But for general use, I'd have them again.

I've got a 7.3L and the turbo pop-off is louder than the tires. :) They do hum a bit on the Tahoe - it never bothered me.

Michelin Defenders for me, too.

I like firestone. Last set destination LE (not what you would want I'm guessing) lasted over 70K

Continental tire has a huge plant in MtVernon, IL, I know a lot of people that work there, check them out

I run Yokohama's on my 1/2 ton Suburban. I don't care if my tires are made in America. I also own a Kubota L345DT 4x4 tractor. I have been running that tractor for the past 25 years on my farm with no complaints. To me, quality counts first and foremost. Where it is made is a remote secondary concern.

OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents here, I used to drive a 3/4 ton truck(4x4) mostly gas motored but some diesel's( and a few were 1/2 tons)
about 50k a yr for about 25+ yrs and was buying tires almost twice a yr, I have gone thru a LOT of different brand and model tires! I ran pretty much the same sized tires,
90% were 33 inch tall, in a few different ACTUAL side wall tires reading(33x12.50's/285-75-'s and the likes)
I was also an extreme off road guy, with trucks from pro class mud bog racers to monster trucks(72 inch tires) so I have a LOT of off road under my belt in many levels!

here is MY experiences
Michelin's have ALWAYS been the LONGEST lasting of all brands I have used!(pro)
BUT they were also never the best tire in snow and mud, even MILD wet grass>
and they held and threw rocks at hi way speeds, chipping up paint as they came out or, AT cars behind you??
and there NOT cheap tires to buy either??
if ALL I did was hi way and paved roads, I'd say BEST tire out there!

Firestones have been the worse, MY last truck I had 4 sets of the destination AT"s, and every set was toast in about 20-24,000 miles, and before you ask WHY I kept using them, buddys kid worked at a shop and could get me them , installed, for about 60% below costs?
so, since they were so cheap, I gave them a go, first set, Dealer, told me was RARE case, second set, they told me was from same batch<? Third set?? I was positive they were JUNK,
but was getting ready to trade truck in and threw a 4 th set on due again to CHEAP price I was getting them at!

MY current truck, 2500 RAM, came with firestone tires and at 23 k, I am in need of new one's soon!!
and if you go on a dodge/ram forum, you will see ALMOST everyone has like results with the OEM tires,short life and well, NOT the best handling tire out there for sure??
there will always be loyalists to any brand so, take this with a grain of salt

Coopers, have always done me good, decent all round tire
the AT's will be the better of the ON road tire, but NOT the best for MUD
NO AT tire is GREAT in mud, too small of voids and don't self clean due to that, and the fact AT's are made of HARDER rubber, which also makes them HOLD mud, more than a pure MUD tire will!

BFGoodrich's AT"S, KO"S
OK tires, at best IMO< again, never was able to get any to last long and I had more flats with them than any other brand tire I ever ran? , had about 4-5 sets over the yrs, giving them second and third like chances?
Over priced IMO!

Hankook, these were maybe the second longest wearing tires I ever owned and the price was always great on them, just NOT a lot of dealers by me carry them, but there at the front of tires I am thinking of buying soon for my current truck ina month or so!(coopers are Toyo's are the 3 I am picking from)

Yokohama's , they were decent tires, nothing great or BAD to say about them, all lasted fairly well, and never got a flat on any of the few sets I ran!

Goodyears>> OK< these were always hit and miss, would get a set, last long, buy a second set and get HALF the life out of set as first set,
tired them several times and same result, seem very HIT and miss to me, and gave up on them LOL

Toyo,
have had very good luck with them, minus, the issue's with NOT a lot of dealers near me??

Uniroyal,> same deal as Goodyear, some lasted some sucked?
gave up on them

General, Pro comp, Micky Thompson, Denis Kirk, Remington, and a few others, I ran all got about the same life and handled OK ish!

I personally think there is NO< GREAT AT tire that will be good in mud, and there is NO great MT tire that is great on roads
its about picking what you do MOST and living with the con's of that tire in places you use them least in
BUY a set of chains, if you need MUD traction on an AT tire< will do you wonder's?

simple deal here
AT tires, have small and LOTS of voids(more small voids equals more edges, so the better they grip snow) and get you MORE rubber on the contact patch! and AT tires are of harder rubber compounds to add grip!
TRUE SNOW tires , will be LOTS of biting edges(again what grips the snow and ice better) and snow tires are of SOFTER rubber to aid in snow and ice, but they will wear a lot faster due to it!

True MUD tires, are treads of larger voids, to self clean, and softer rubber to ALSO also flex to self clean, and have LES rubber on the road, thus they DON"T handle as well, and wear faster, they heat up faster which causes more wear!

Bigger VOIDS in tires, LOUDER they get, smaller voids and directions of the edges, also add into sound levels

Sorry on long post, but, again, you honestly have to PICK what you want a tire to do best and live with the less traction or noise or handling in places you only travel less often!

the Cooper AT's you have now are GREAT AT tires, not much better

LAST< watch out on MUD tires and other NEW tires in LT and truck sizes, MANY company's are DROPPING there speed ratings on them
NOT that we drive slower these days, but many are Q-R speed rated which is like mid to upper 90's
sounds FAST< but , when a tire gets a lower speed rating, IMO< its in part due to balancing issue's??
harder to get a truck tire to balance , and out of balance or, lesser skilled techs, you will get a poorer handling tire on your truck!
and a tire with a S at a 112 rating or higher, !
SHOULD balance better and ride better, and even wear better!

I have 50,000 miles on the current set of Bridgestones Deuler H/L Alenza with plenty to go. They now rate them at 80,000 miles but thats on all paved roads. A couple have been replaced over the years under the road hazzard warranty. Seems to be good tires, although I wonder if the vibration is sketchy with them.

I just put Michelin Defenders on my Silverado 2500. I do a lot of long distance towing, they drive quiet and smooth.