New truck need opinions (pics included)

A buddy just got a '14 Ram 1500 and at 6k miles the interior rattles.

Have you ever seen a BMW with a factory installed trailer hitch? I had a '97 540i and the owners manual had a special call-out saying "No Towing!"

Getrag makes good auto car trannies. Allison makes good truck ones.

Jordan, I bought mine at the end of August & the 14's were just starting to come out. I got 9K off msrp, but had to do some work to get it. The local dealers almost had me convinced I wouldn't get that much off any truck, but the TruCar website gave me the confidence to stick to my guns. I didn't tell them about the website or any of that stuff; I just told them matter of factly that I wouldn't budge. Eventually, the local dealers agreed to give me the 9K off if I bought off their lot. Trouble was, I didn't want to pay for things I didn't want like a sunroof, premium sound, etc. I found several on line spec'd just how I wanted. Dealers said they could have it shipped in, but I'd lose about 2K in discounts to cover a bunch of bs expenses. I said for an extra 2K I'll go to the dealer that has the truck. The local guys wouldn't budge. I started calling the out of state dealers who had "my" truck. I told them what I'd pay for it. One dealer jerked me around, but the second one didn't even hesitate. We set everything up in advance, I took a day off work, bought a one way flight and broke it in on the drive home. The salesman even picked me up at the airport an hour from the dealership! After the plane ticket, I netted $1400 for my trouble over buying it locally. Dealer would have given me another 1K off plus trade in value if I had driven my truck up there and traded it in, but I had already worked out a deal to sell it to my brother. There were a couple of minor hiccups in the process, but I'd do it the same way again in a heartbeat. If you decide to try it that way, let me know & I'll help you out any way I can.

KsKid,

You purchased your truck out of state and I am thinking of doing the same thing. Minnesota is a very high cost state for all of its goods. The states high cost of living flows into the cars cost of sales so when you compare the costs of goods in Minnesota they can be considerably higher then other states. It's the same thing with all goods including tractors.

How did you find the out of state dealers that offered the best pricing?

I bet the home town dealers love it when your new out of state trucks come in for service when not bought at there place.

I have never did this before but its getting very common and I think its a good thing. Interstate commerce should be competitive and with the internet people can now shop wherever they want.

Any warranty work will be paid by the maufacturer and I pay for out of warranty work so the dealer is good. Dealerships work on out of state cars all the time with relocations and etc. Might be a problem in small town america but not in any medium size city.

I have never did this before but its getting very common and I think its a good thing. Interstate commerce should be competitive and with the internet people can now shop wherever they want.

Any warranty work will be paid by the maufacturer and I pay for out of warranty work so the dealer is good. Dealerships work on out of state cars all the time with relocations and etc. Might be a problem in small town america but not in any medium size city.

The problem with that thinking is it will just be out of state commerce. There will be no in state dealers left to service your truck. Warranty work may become some very long drives at times.

Jordan, I bought mine at the end of August & the 14's were just starting to come out. I got 9K off msrp, but had to do some work to get it. The local dealers almost had me convinced I wouldn't get that much off any truck, but the TruCar website gave me the confidence to stick to my guns. I didn't tell them about the website or any of that stuff; I just told them matter of factly that I wouldn't budge. Eventually, the local dealers agreed to give me the 9K off if I bought off their lot. Trouble was, I didn't want to pay for things I didn't want like a sunroof, premium sound, etc. I found several on line spec'd just how I wanted. Dealers said they could have it shipped in, but I'd lose about 2K in discounts to cover a bunch of bs expenses. I said for an extra 2K I'll go to the dealer that has the truck. The local guys wouldn't budge. I started calling the out of state dealers who had "my" truck. I told them what I'd pay for it. One dealer jerked me around, but the second one didn't even hesitate. We set everything up in advance, I took a day off work, bought a one way flight and broke it in on the drive home. The salesman even picked me up at the airport an hour from the dealership! After the plane ticket, I netted $1400 for my trouble over buying it locally. Dealer would have given me another 1K off plus trade in value if I had driven my truck up there and traded it in, but I had already worked out a deal to sell it to my brother. There were a couple of minor hiccups in the process, but I'd do it the same way again in a heartbeat. If you decide to try it that way, let me know & I'll help you out any way I can.
Dang Kskid sounds like you really made them squeel! I have no compassion for car salesman. I have 2 lawn customers that are in car sales an they brag about how well they do regularly so I have every intention of some tough negotiating. I will likely stay in Mo though but Kinda like your situation I have a very specific truck I want and I will settle for nothing less. An for God sakes I don't want the 20 inch wheels! I drove a friends truck with 20's in the snow an they did not handle well at ALL!

I will however give my local dealer a chance to match a price. After all those local sales tax support my livelihood as a first responder.
Right now I'm waiting for the 15's the hit the floor an end of the yr incentives. I really don't want a car payment but gonna have to do somthing once new baby is born. Wish I was like the mobuckchaser an could just go right the check;)

I will however give my local dealer a chance to match a price. After all those local sales tax support my livelihood as a first responder.
Right now I'm waiting for the 15's the hit the floor an end of the yr incentives. I really don't want a car payment but gonna have to do somthing once new baby is born. Wish I was like the mobuckchaser an could just go right the check;)

I maybe could......but I won't!;)

I maybe could......but I won't!;)
Same here but momma wants a new house an I'm not paying PMI! So that means 20% down. So can't spend all my $ on a new truck. I'd be fine to stay in our 1200sqft, 3bdrm, 2 bath for a few more yrs but woman are different creatures I guess. All I need is a cabin in the woods an a big ass barn! Why can't they think like us hahao_O

Same here but momma wants a new house an I'm not paying PMI! So that means 20% down. So can't spend all my $ on a new truck. I'd be fine to stay in our 1200sqft, 3bdrm, 2 bath for a few more yrs but woman are different creatures I guess. All I need is a cabin in the woods an a big ass barn! Why can't they think like us hahao_O

Going through that right now as well! One mortgage guy told me a couple times we were approved to do 5% down and that we should be fine with a payment double of what we wanted and then we could get a pretty high end house in our area. Ended up going with a different bank! Seller accepted offer we made on a house on Friday. We'll be in town, but at least it's only a 4 minute drive to work for both of us vs. the 30 mins one way we spend commuting now. Its only been two years since we bought so I was pretty reluctant to sell ours but prices have come back enough in our area that we will get our money back + a little, even after commissions and other costs.

Good luck on finding a new house and new truck!

Sounds like you're saving $1200+ in gas a year. Congrats on the new home.

Thanks! My wife spent 2 years driving 90 miles round trip until about 1 year ago and we have been riding together 75% of the last year now that we work in the same town. So even bigger savings over last year. We'll have a whole additional hour a day to find something to do!

With new home and an extra hour on your hands........ You know the difference between a house and a home don't you?

The glow of my new truck ended Saturday when my GF asked me to help her buy a new car. 7 hours later having 2 MBZ dealers battling she has a new ride. I could buy 4 of my trucks for this ride. View attachment 2506

That's what California gals will do to you. lol

I've gotten my best deals after deciding on a model and all options.....then working the deal over the phone - with two dealers on similar vehicles. Kinda like a dutch auction. Keep working your deal until you hit your target price.

However.....The margins in the car and truck biz are not what they used to be.....and there are not many secrets in prices due to the internet these days. When we recently bought our Hyundai Santa Fe however.....we got the best prices by having our good old Costco Membership. Costco really cuts thru the chase....unless your looking for the last $50 bill. Also got some discount by being a vet, and an end of year price discount.

You can get invoice prices on several car sites these days.....but they will not show the "dealer holdback" amounts.....which may be significant (?). Seems every dealer is selling near invoice prices these days. How is that? When I was in the biz (about 5 decades ago) we used to have 23% off invoice for our cost.....and a 2% holdback that I'd get at year end. Methinks this has changed some. Some of the best dealer profits come from dealer added options like trailer hitches and floor mats these days.

The trade values are much more "real" on used cars too.....as it's hard to work it both ways for a dealer. Seems we all want the best deal and for the dealer to lose a little on everything he sells. Probably not too real, is it? ;) :D

Its funny how different people go about buying a new car or truck. The fact is, unless you are Hertz buying 10,000 cars at a shot. You ain't getting a deal. Those dealers don't build those fancy store fronts with you getting a deal!

The best line a heard from a car salesman dope was " I can sell you that car for $500 under our factory Invoice". I said, so you are losing $500 selling me this truck?. Dope said, Yep! I said, no thanks, I want a dealer that makes money so he will be around to do my service work in the future!

He called me for a week trying to tell me the dealer incentives from the factory make up there bottom line and that is where they make there money. So he thought trying to miss step the truth would get him a sale! As I said, a dope!

Just ask them how much you would make the check out for that car right there. And make sure he knows you want his last price....First! Or you don't fill out the check!;)

MBC

I bet the home town dealers love it when your new out of state trucks come in for service when not bought at there place.

I know a few car dealers, they would love to have their service department busy with non-dealer purchased vehicles. That's where they make their profit ... most dealers could not survive on new car sales margins.

Going through that right now as well! One mortgage guy told me a couple times we were approved to do 5% down and that we should be fine with a payment double of what we wanted and then we could get a pretty high end house in our area. Ended up going with a different bank! Seller accepted offer we made on a house on Friday. We'll be in town, but at least it's only a 4 minute drive to work for both of us vs. the 30 mins one way we spend commuting now. Its only been two years since we bought so I was pretty reluctant to sell ours but prices have come back enough in our area that we will get our money back + a little, even after commissions and other costs.

Good luck on finding a new house and new truck!

Sounds like everything went how you wanted! Congrats. We too will be moving a lil closer to town. I never pictured myself living in a subdivision but ThAts what the momma wants so she can take walks with the kids an have friends close by. I'm gonna for 48+ hrs at a time with my job an she gets scared sometimes. I tell her that's what the scatter gun is for!

The glow of my new truck ended Saturday when my GF asked me to help her buy a new car. 7 hours later having 2 MBZ dealers battling she has a new ride. I could buy 4 of my trucks for this ride. View attachment 2506
WoW! What do you all do for a living to be able to get a car like that?! That's a good chunk of hunting ground NF! Haha

Everything I have to say after Novembers post will just get me in trouble. Not with November,but with my wife. Speaking of which I need to get a more comfortable couch to sleep on!