All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Quail section

If I remember correctly there were some studies out of TX that indicated yotes killed more nest predators than they themselves prey'd on quail eggs. Indicated it was better to leave them alone than to trap a bunch. Of course if you were trapping yotes you'd likely be trapping coons and skunks also so take that info for what it's worth.

Dang, beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the nest predators that eat the eggs that do the damage. Coons and possums.

Dang, beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I have previously stated - I have been trapping for about 55 years and never had a coon or possum eaten in a trap. Skunks - yes. If coyotes catch and kill coons - there shouldnt be one left, here. They will not even eat a dead coon or possum I throw in the bone yard. Also, coyotes and bobcats are our number one fawn predator. I dont think they are probably that serious on quail - but they do catch a fair number of turkeys. I would think our coons and cats have never seen a wild quail. I dang sure wouldnt pass shooting a cat or yote thinking I was saving any species.

That said, I do believe they really help keep feral pigs at lower levels. They eat the heck out of little pigs. I have seen a pair of them trying to take down a 100 lb sow.

hard to be sure but I think this kitty had one of my quail for lunch.
image-jpeg.15338

I think it’s hard for us to overcome things we have seen first hand.

That said, it really is the worst form of evidence. Someone can kill their two biggest bucks after full moon and on a south wind, and they will swear those are two biggest factors to killing deer.

I don’t doubt your experience swamp. At all. But it really doesn’t give us any real input on if coyotes keep coon levels down.

I agree - my evidence is anecdotal - 1000 some odd trapped coons never eaten in a trap. I do know this - when trapped, the following may get eaten in a trap: skunks, house cats; squirrels, rabbits, beavers, nutria, muskrat, feral hogs, crows, and deer - I have caught each of the above and had them eaten in the trap - but for sure not always. I cannot prove it was coyotes that did it. I have not had coyotes, coons, possums, bobcats, mink, or otters eaten in a trap. And even though I have read that coyotes will displace fox - I guess they kill them - I personally have never had a fox eaten by anything. I will also admit to having never trapped in TX - I am 40 miles away.

I am no way saying coyotes wont kill coons somewhere - but they dont here - or it is at least extremely rare. I have also read that coyotes are not important feral hog predators - but they eat the heck out of the piglets here. Coyotes will not eat a coon in my bone yard. I often put a game cam on my bone yard. Coyotes will eat a deer carcass usually the first night. Coon carcasses will rot away. I for sure understand animals have different feeding habits in different areas. I promise some of the local roaming dogs kill coons in traps. Even though I have not personally had that happen, my dog will kill a coon in a trap - or not in a trap - whenever he gets the chance.

Reactions: 356
I had the local DWF biologist out to walk over my place and give me advice on establishing quail habitat. She told me that unless I own 1000 acres or more I would not be able to keep the quail here. So, it is refreshing to hear that someone with 100 acres has multiple coveys, Native Hunter.

I have released pen raised birds to hunt hoping that the ones I missed (most of them) would raise some little ones and establish a covey or two. That hasn't happened but it doesn't discourage me from trying. Lately the dog and I have been traveling to a national forest where they are managing an area for quail.

I had the local DWF biologist out to walk over my place and give me advice on establishing quail habitat. She told me that unless I own 1000 acres or more I would not be able to keep the quail here. So, it is refreshing to hear that someone with 100 acres has multiple coveys, Native Hunter.

I have released pen raised birds to hunt hoping that the ones I missed (most of them) would raise some little ones and establish a covey or two. That hasn't happened but it doesn't discourage me from trying. Lately the dog and I have been traveling to a national forest where they are managing an area for quail.
I’ve read more on that subject than anything!

I can’t find one shred of evidence that says releasing pen raised birds will improve wild quail. Not one.

That said, I can’t see how it doesn’t! I also know lots of people that do it that say it has some success.

A guy told me about something called an incubator (that’s not it but something like it) that helps acclimate young quail. You raise them partially in wild but helps with predation. I’ll see if I can find it.

That may be - down there. On my place - I have never had a coon or possum eaten in a trap - in 43 years of living and trapping here. I usually catch 40 to 75 coons/possums/skunks each year. Now, I will have skunks eaten in traps when I shoot them and leave them lay to get out the next day. We have quite a few skunks, possums, and coons - and coyotes. I cant believe coyotes are killing many of the coons and possums - they are easy to catch - my dog does it all the time. A coyote is smart enough to figure out a corn feeder would supply a lot of coons - yet the coons keep coming and there is rarely a picture of a coyote at a feeder location.

Maybe in texas - but not in AR 40 miles from Texas.

I leave most of the coyotes, anyway - not on purpose - I am not much of a coyote trapper.
I shot a coyote crossing my pasture a couple of years ago and decided to pelt it out. That thing had a million ticks on it and every one of them jumped off onto me.

I can’t find one shred of evidence that says releasing pen raised birds will improve wild quail. Not one.

That said, I can’t see how it doesn’t! I also know lots of people that do it that say it has some success.

A guy told me about something called an incubator (that’s not it but something like it) that helps acclimate young quail. You raise them partially in wild but helps with predation. I’ll see if I can find it.
Yeah, I have heard about that too. I can't remember what it is called either.

No one has mentioned foxes so far. They seem to be rather hard on grouse in some areas. Are they not a problem for quail?

No one has mentioned foxes so far. They seem to be rather hard on grouse in some areas. Are they not a problem for quail?
In this day and age, on most properties, I cant imagine any predator being a positive for game animals. With very few trappers and even fewer rural hawk shooters, predators numbers are probably at all time highs - foxes included. Tall Timbers plantation has video of a whitetail doe eating quail eggs. Quail are like the shad of the land - everything eats them. I understand there are different relationships between certain animals - like coyotes will displace red fox, which are a more efficient duck nest predator than coyotes - so in theory, you are better off with coyotes on the duck nesting ground. Those of us who are multi species managers, even if a coyote is not an efficient quail predator, they are very good at catching rabbits and fawns. It may be just me, but I cant ever remember feeling bad when I remove a coyote or a coon from my property

I am still going to drive three hours to the national forest to hunt wild quail because there just aren’t any around me or on my property. Also, I am still going to work on establishing some quality quail habitat here and buy pen raised birds to hunt out my back door.

One of the other threads here talked about collecting native seeds to plant as one walks through a tract. I actually started doing just that when I am on the national forest.

I hope this thread will provide suggestions and experience to help me. I will surely let yall know what happens here.

I shot a coyote crossing my pasture a couple of years ago and decided to pelt it out. That thing had a million ticks on it and every one of them jumped off onto me.
Not uncommon for trappers to leave an animal in a bag with some permithrin dust or insecticide spray for a few hrs before skinning. Fleas and ticks suck!

I hope this thread will provide suggestions and experience to help me. I will surely let yall know what happens here.
Burn burn burn.

Not uncommon for trappers to leave an animal in a bag with some permithrin dust or insecticide spray for a few hrs before skinning. Fleas and ticks suck!
Why haven’t I thought about that? I can be such a DA.

Surrogator - quail