Interesting Quail Research

SwampCat

5 year old buck +

“We placed cameras at 52 of the 74 nests to help determine causes of nest failure. Multiple observations were made at nests but one notable observation many landowners might find interesting was the occurrence of wild pigs at three nests. None of those nests were depredated by the pigs”

I think folks consider pigs to be the scourge of the woods and fields - and in many cases they are. I used to have tons of pigs, but they are pretty well gone. I found the above reference to pigs and quail nests very interesting. I always just assumed pigs would eat every nest of every kind of animal they ever came across.

^^^ I would have figured the same... that pigs would eat the eggs and destroy the nests.

"Eighty percent of nests found in 2023 were in units burned one year previously, and 20% in blocks burned that year."
Another nice bit of info that supports mosaic burning patterns.

^^^ I would have figured the same... that pigs would eat the eggs and destroy the nests.

"Eighty percent of nests found in 2023 were in units burned one year previously, and 20% in blocks burned that year."
Another nice bit of info that supports mosaic burning patterns.
I think Tall Timbers Research has shown fire being the single most important management effort to support wild quail. Of course, they do a lot of other work, too

Great article with good information

Did they fertilize them?

sorry,man........wrong thread

bill