New Quail section

One overlooked resource for quail is ragweed. This naturally growing forb that is perfect quail and turkey habitat. Two years ago we started seeing quail on our property. Just 10 acres is NWSG, and 2 acres were converted into natural ragweed plots following drought induced failure of last’s spring food plots. Sure enough, quail found the ragweed.

On the question of coyotes eating raccoons, I just saw that coyotes most likely kill raccoons to eliminate food competition. The ‘totes will kill ‘coons over grain or gut piles or in traps to eliminate competition. I have definitely had coyotes take raccoons out of traps, but now I am wondering if their goal was food or to reduce competition. Raccoon has been found in coyote scat, so at least some are eaten by ’yotes.
This is every night on my hunting lease - at two locations where we spread corn. I wish the yotes would get after them

IMG_0148.jpeg

I saw a video once of how to make your own.

I’ve released a bunch of birds and I’ll hunt them for a while. Some do survive but I guess they don’t reproduce.

I know a guy that owns 2500 acres and I think he told me they release 25k birds a year (crazy I know). He claims they have built up on his property. At 1% or less survival rate I guess you can just put out a ton and hope the 1% adds up.

It is funny how many other repopulation efforts have taken off like gangbusters. Deer can raise in a pen and then live. Turkeys do too. Me thinks there is something else going on besides just pen raised birds don’t know how to survive.
I wonder why the pen raised birds don’t reproduce in the wild? My pen raised birds layed eggs that I collected and put in an incubator. The eggs hatched and I raised the chicks until they were flight ready then released ‘em to hunt.

Do you work in the wildlife industry? Ie: game warden?
No. Was a biologist/Natural Resource Manager for Feds for 34 years. Retired 12 years ago

This is every night on my hunting lease - at two locations where we spread corn. I wish the yotes would get after them

View attachment 61313
That looks like a picture from around one of my feeders. I am gonna start trapping. I understand it might be illegal but tractor supply sells some stuff that is deadly on coons. At the moment I can’t recall what is it called.

No. Was a biologist/Natural Resource Manager for Feds for 34 years. Retired 12 years ago
Cool. You sound like a perfect resource. Are you willing to share?

Do you work in the wildlife industry? Ie: game warden?
Worked at D’Arbonne NWR back in late 70’s when it was just getting started

That looks like a picture from around one of my feeders. I am gonna start trapping. I understand it might be illegal but tractor supply sells some stuff that is deadly on coons. At the moment I can’t recall what is it called.
It’s called Golden Malloren.

Cool. You sound like a perfect resource. Are you willing to share?
What little I know - worked a little in all of it - fish, wildlife and forestry - but not anything specific to know anything specific 😎

What little I know - worked a little in all of it - fish, wildlife and forestry - but not anything specific to know anything specific 😎
That’s good, what I have learned through the years is that it’s good to have lots of resources.

Recently I have been hunting quail in an area of a national forest in SE Louisiana. In an effort to establish natural forbs on my property I have been collecting seed as i hunt. I am going to sew those seeds on my property in the hopes of creating some good habitat.

Doesn't look like Minnesota has hardly any Quail. About 1,000 birds total and that's in the southeastern corner.

There were no quail in North Dakota that I know of when I lived there around 2000. Winters are just too snowy, quail cant handle prolonged snow cover.

We have grouse and their numbers seem to be down lately. Always see a few during deer season. Bastards wait until you're right on top of them and then they take off and make your heart jump.

We have grouse and their numbers seem to be down lately. Always see a few during deer season. Bastards wait until you're right on top of them and then they take off and make your heart jump.
Same problem with quail. They jump start my heart every time they flush. That and watching the dog hunt are two of the reasons I like hunting them.

Golden Malrin

Flushed three coveys this weekend and it warmed my heart tremendously. I want to baby them so badly but they are wild animals in a cruel world and I can only do so much