New ATV sprayer suggestions

The only problem I see is having that much weight on the very back of the atv gets a little sketchy. My atv is on the smaller side, Honda Rancher 420

The only problem I see is having that much weight on the very back of the atv gets a little sketchy. My atv is on the smaller side, Honda Rancher 420
For sure. And be careful. I have known/heard of 2 people being killed while spraying on a hill when their atv rolled.

I’m really happy with my North Star. Also purchased based on reviews, most other brands in that price range have horrible reviews.

a500bcb71db7c7f55d8bbde6fe614eb3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the exact model I was looking to buy. Can you use a power cord instead of the battery clamps on these?

This is the exact model I was looking to buy. Can you use a power cord instead of the battery clamps on these?

Yes, had to purchase that separate.

Yes, had to purchase that separate.

Do you recall where you got the cord from? Last sprayer I bought had a connection to use battery clamp or male power cord end.

For sure. And be careful. I have known/heard of 2 people being killed while spraying on a hill when their atv rolled.
As embarrassing as it is, I was nearly one of those statistics. I was going up a steep incline on my property that I've never gone up before due to unusual standing water in the drainage.

The tank was about half full and I didn't think much of it even though it was pretty steep. My front tires climbed a pocket gopher mound and it was enough to shift extra weight back off the front tires. I was sitting in a normal seated, riding position which was a huge mistake. By the time I realized it was about to roll over on me, gravity had me glued to the seat, I couldn't get off the machine. It rolled back over on top of me two different times as we went down the hill. The handle bars of my wheeler crushed my chest/sternum with so much force it bent the frame through the steering column. When we came to a stop the air was completely out of my lungs and as I struggled to breathe, I was sure they were my last breaths.. I was incredibly fortunate that throughout the incident I didn't hit my head on anything. Fortunately I was able to walk home about 500 yards even though something (not sure what) punctured my shin down to the bone. Wound up with 3 cracked ribs, a cracked sternum, and a broken back. I was off of work for almost 3 months. That's not the worst of it though. At the time of the accident (about 18 months ago) I had a one year old daughter and 3 year old boy at home.

God was watching over me that afternoon and I'm so very thankful he spared my life despite my carelessness. Incredibly scary stuff. I'm a very safety conscious person too with my career and the training I've had. Believe me when I say, I never thought this would happen to me.

I’m unfamiliar with the little ATV sprayers but if you can get a boomless I would highly recommend it. I have a 200 gallon three point sprayer that is boomless and love it for field work no booms to fool with and maintain. I’m sure I’m probably running higher pressure with a a PTO roller pump but I can spray about 30’ wide with my boomless.

As embarrassing as it is, I was nearly one of those statistics. I was going up a steep incline on my property that I've never gone up before due to unusual standing water in the drainage.

The tank was about half full and I didn't think much of it even though it was pretty steep. My front tires climbed a pocket gopher mound and it was enough to shift extra weight back off the front tires. I was sitting in a normal seated, riding position which was a huge mistake. By the time I realized it was about to roll over on me, gravity had me glued to the seat, I couldn't get off the machine. It rolled back over on top of me two different times as we went down the hill. The handle bars of my wheeler crushed my chest/sternum with so much force it bent the frame through the steering column. When we came to a stop the air was completely out of my lungs and as I struggled to breathe, I was sure they were my last breaths.. I was incredibly fortunate that throughout the incident I didn't hit my head on anything. Fortunately I was able to walk home about 500 yards even though something (not sure what) punctured my shin down to the bone. Wound up with 3 cracked ribs, a cracked sternum, and a broken back. I was off of work for almost 3 months. That's not the worst of it though. At the time of the accident (about 18 months ago) I had a one year old daughter and 3 year old boy at home.

God was watching over me that afternoon and I'm so very thankful he spared my life despite my carelessness. Incredibly scary stuff. I'm a very safety conscious person too with my career and the training I've had. Believe me when I say, I never thought this would happen to me.
You make very good case for life insurance.

I got a fimco 15 gallon this fall and it was already failing to build pressure before I put it away for the winter.

What do you guys do for maintenance on them? Suppose i should read the owners manual..

I usually clean mine with a granular tank cleaner from tractor supply. Then I run another tank full of water through it before I put it up for any extended period of time. I won't leave chemical in for longer than a week before cleaning and rinsing.
I haven't had any problems with mine building pressure doing this. I have had parts on the manifold (valves mainly) that won't turn or break. Easy enough to get them replaced from pwmall.

If you live in the North, clean it good then run some RV anti-freeze through it when you’re done spraying for the year.

I’m really happy with my North Star. Also purchased based on reviews, most other brands in that price range have horrible reviews.

I also use a Northstar sprayer and so far I'm very satisfied. One of the big reasons I purchased this model was it also has a watering wand. I can pull up to trees and spray the wand down the tube or the root system for watering -- Big plus for me since I'm in year one of my habitat establishment. Side note: Northstar Customer service was top notch in replacing a defective wand. Had it by the end of the week! Very positive experience with these folks.

Last edited:
I also use a Northstar sprayer and so far I'm very satisfied. One of the big reasons I purchased this model was it also has a watering wand. I can pull up to trees and spray the wand down the tube or the root system for watering -- Big plus for me since I'm in year one of my habitat establishment. Side note: Northstar Customer service was top notch in replacing a defective wand. Had it by the end of the week! Very positive experience with these folks.

I’ve never watered my tree plantings but the wand works great for ultra steep parts of my plots that are too dangerous for an ATV/tank.

My advice is to get a sprayer with pump on the top, side, or rear. Always have a bit of leakage and you don't want to expose yourself to chemicals.

I got a fimco 15 gallon this fall and it was already failing to build pressure before I put it away for the winter.

What do you guys do for maintenance on them? Suppose i should read the owners manual..

Can almost guarantee you it’s the pump. Just buy a new pump from Northern Tool. They will sell you a 2 year warranty on the new pump for about $10.00

In my case, they always go bad within 2 years. I spray about 20 acres of food plots every year along with a business spraying for ants. I haven’t had to buy a new pump in years. Just take the old one on, pay $10.00 for another warranty, and go home. I do keep a spare ( that also has a warranty) so I’m never without a pump.

My advice is to get a sprayer with pump on the top, side, or rear. Always have a bit of leakage and you don't want to expose yourself to chemicals.

Fact! I had a hose on the back that kept sliding off. I got off to tighten it, as soon as I got back there it popped off. Gly right in the face! Poor timing on my part.

Been using that one four years. No problems with it. I run a gallon or two of RV antifreeze thru it in the fall.

Their online store appears to be down. Know anything else about this company? I looked at them previously and remember the pricing being up there but if it is more reliable than a FIMCO or northstar it may be worth it.

The Fimco i bought last year is not building pressure.. I may have killed it by letting it sit for a couple months without running cleaner through it post Gly spraying?

Is that the 26 Gallon 2.2 GPM model shown here by chance? I have hovered over buying an ATV sprayer for long enough and just pulled the trigger (pun intended) on the model below, it should be at my house before May 1st.

Last edited: